Brewer Fanatic

Is Braun becoming this team's "leader"?

adambr2

Some of the criticisms of Braun in this thread are absolutely ludicrous.

a) He's not a leader because he doesn't walk -- has anyone seen his recent performances? Forget the HR's. His plate discipline has improved tremendously, something that directly coincides with his hot streak. In his last 11 games (48 PA), he has only struck out 5 times. Admittedly, since I don't live in Wisconsin, I don't get to see most of the games, but I do follow them online. And in the two that I was able to watch this weekend, he had a very good eye at the plate. A great example was his second HR yesterday - and interestingly, on a pitch outside the zone. He took that first strike on a pitch that was obviously low and outside. He even showed his displeasure at the call. But, realizing at that point that the ump was giving Beckett strikes off the plate, he recognized that a breaking ball was going to hit that same spot a few pitches later, and he didn't allow himself to be caught with the bat on his shoulder. Result - homer. While I would love him to walk as much as Weeks, I'd much prefer him to swing at pitches in the strike zone and get base hits, which he has been doing of late.

b) He's not a team leader because he didn't run hard on Fielder's double -- if you think this, you weren't watching the game. He thought the ball had a chance to be caught, so he was making sure he wasn't going to have to tag up. TBS showed him on the replay and it was completely obvious. He wasn't trotting - he was carefully watching, being sure not to stray too far from first base. There was no reason for him to take a chance there with no outs.

c) He's not a team leader because a team leader wouldn't allow the team to struggle like this -- as someone stated earlier, baseball is really not much of a team game. Obviously, players have to work together in certain areas to an extent, but Braun can't block for a running back, he can't dish out an assist on a pick and roll, he can't screen a defender, he can't occupy both a cornerback and a safety to allow a teammate to get open. No matter what he says, it's still up to his teammates to hit better, field better, and pitch better.

d) He's not a team leader because what he said was cliche - it was far from cliche. Cliche is something like, "We're just in a slump, but it's a long season. We're hitting the ball hard, they just aren't falling. You've got to tip your cap to the other team." Stuff like that. As TooLive Brew stated (and I stated earlier in the thread), he spoke his mind, was critical of the team, but also didn't throw anyone under the bus.

e) He's not a team leader because he didn't criticize himself - first of all, he had a really nice series. There wasn't much to criticize. But forgetting that, he always said "we," not "those guys," or "some players on this team." He included himself in the criticism by saying "we."

Is he becoming the leader of the team? I can't say for sure, since I'm not in the locker room. But listening to his honest, no BS comments, his enthusiasm about being a Brewer, combined with his on-field performance, it looks like he very well might be on his way.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"He's not a team leader because he didn't run hard on Fielder's double -- if you think this, you weren't watching the game."

I was at the game. When you are worried about getting doubled up, you go half way and stop you don't casually jog to second.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think criticism of Braun is uncalled for. The team is obviously in a tail spin, on the verge of their second 6 game losing streak in just over 2 weeks, and I don't fault what he said. You've got to figure it's a fairly toxic clubhouse environment already. If they were happy go lucky and these comments turn them sour then something was wrong. If the media is going to talk to you, then you may as well say what you are thinking, and the truth is better than all the trite comments about how it's going to come together if they just keep plugging away. At this point (with his long term contract) he's got more at stake in this team's success than anyone else, so it just makes sense for him to be the leader. These comments, on the heals of the contract, suggest that he does care about winning in Milwaukee, and that it wasn't just about getting the money.
You may run like Mays...

"He's not a team leader because he didn't run hard on Fielder's double -- if you think this, you weren't watching the game."

I was at the game. When you are worried about getting doubled up, you go half way and stop you don't casually jog to second.

I watched on television and was able to view multiple replays, particularly one in which the camera was trained on Braun.

You are 100% incorrect. jhart05 is 100% correct. Out of all the silly criticisms I listed, yours was the silliest.

Fielder shows a ton of passion on the field, but he's very soft-spoken and not a very charismatic speaker. Braun seems to be the kind of guy that people will listen to when he speaks. And now I think he's put up numbers to show that he deserves to speak. I like the combination of the two, even though I don't think Fielder will be around much longer.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

"You are 100% incorrect. jhart05 is 100% correct. Out of all the silly criticisms I listed, yours was the silliest. "

Most posters around here aren't quite that condescending. I have an opinion, someone else has an opinion - they don't have to be the same.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"You are 100% incorrect. jhart05 is 100% correct. Out of all the silly criticisms I listed, yours was the silliest. "

Most posters around here aren't quite that condescending. I have an opinion, someone else has an opinion - they don't have to be the same.

Maybe his point simply flew over your head.

I kid because I love.

Are you all asking "Who's the boss?"

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Our Ryan Braun is really Tony Danza!

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/2008/05/15/MKM7T6FY.jpghttp://www.freewebs.com/whoistheboss/postwtb8.jpg

Maybe his point simply flew over your head.
I haven't seen that on a message board before. Well played.

Wait... taking walks/OBP counts as a "facet", right?

Sorry to go back to post #17 for this, but Ryan Braun has always said he can improve his play. To imply that he thinks he doesn't have to improve is incorrect if you believe what Braun has said in almost every interview he has given since being called up. The only cliches he used yesterday were in reference to the Red Sox. I wouldn't take anything he said about the Brewers as an overused term, especially considering the garbage we hear from Yost, and now Fielder, after every lackluster performance.

My apologies to homer if I sounded condescending. I was actually trying to criticize the opinion/argument, not the person. I felt you, homer, were actually being a bit condescending about it earlier, as you seemed to feel that because you were at the game, your vantage point was undoubtedly the correct one.

But at any rate, sorry if I sounded harsh (which I guess I did).

The funny thing is, watching the replay, Fielder was the one who wasn't hustling, but it didn't really look like he was admiring his shot. It was possibly more because he also thought it might be caught, combined with Braun's hesitation.

I never said anything about Fielder having a higher OPS than Braun before or after the Boston series. I was refering to the fact that despite Braun being a feel good story right now his OBP sucks. If Fielder has a couple good SLG games he will pass Braun in OPS. Taking into consideration the fact that OBP is more valuable than SLG it could be argued that Fielder is actually having a better year than Braun.

You said "He has a couple more games with HR and doubles and he is out OPSing Braun easily." I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by thinking it may have been true before the Boston series and you just hadn't checked the stats in a couple of days. I didn't say anything about who was more valuable, just pointing out that Braun does have a higher OPS than Fielder. Did you mean to write OBP when you wrote OPS?

istanbultaye[/b]]"He has a couple more games with HR and doubles and he >>>will be<<< out OPSing Braun easily." is how I read that comment. It was just written in more of a speaking tone.
Yeah that's what I meant. I didn't write it as clearly as I should have. I might have been posting on my Wii at the time. I know it is no excuse.

I know Braun currently has a higher OPS, but I think going forward Fielder will catch him. I actually checked the stats for the first time this weekend. I don't see much point in looking at them except to see how players are currently performing.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun has become the leader for the moment by default. You would hope the veteran players would take on that role, but who expects Counsel, Shouse, Gagne etc. to be a leader? You need to be one of the better, proven players. The Brewers don't have a guy like that other than Sheets (not his personality) and Kendall (new to the team.) So it has to come from the young guns. Last year it was clearly Fielder, but I sense there's a feeling in the clubhouse that Fielder won't be a long term Brewer anyhow. Plus he's struggling a bit himself.

Fielder shows a ton of passion on the field, but he's very soft-spoken and not a very charismatic speaker. Braun seems to be the kind of guy that people will listen to when he speaks.
Something is amiss with Fielder.

1. Braun is a regular on the morning show on 94.5. Braun is always talking to the media. It seems like Fielder hasn't said much in weeks.

2. Prince openly complained about his contract being renewed.

3. Braun signed a long term deal to remain with the Brewers. Prince seems perfectly ready to leave town.

4. Prince had that mysterous scheduling conflict that prevented him from attending the autographed bat session for full-season ticket holders. Ryan Braun stepped in and took his place.

Has Prince been out in the community as a Brewer at all this year?

Braun is definitely passing him as the face of the franchise. Fielder seems like someone carrying a grudge who wants out.

I don't hold the long term contract thing against Prince. He is way ahead of Braun in service time and is poised to make some big money after this season. A multi year deal for him would involve a lot more money than Braun got. Braun's deal is a Brewer record. Fielder's deal would be way beyond that. It's something the Brewers would have to think long and hard about. And with Boras as the agent, it makes it even tougher.

By all accounts this is a pretty close team. The young guys all have similar contracts. It will be interesting to see if the dynamics change as the contracts start to change.

Archived