Brewer Fanatic

Boston had an unfair DH advantage

AJAY
Verified Member

It's time that Major League Baseball bans the DH during ALL interleague games regardless of where they are played. The advantage that Boston had with David Ortiz was ridiculous. Even when AL teams play in NL parks, the NL teams don't have any advantage because most pitchers still stink at hitting.

I am very upset about this because this teams like Boston and NY already have enough of a financial advantage. But to basically allow them to have another big-time slugger makes it even worse.

I don't like these rules at all.

Bud Selig, are you listening?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug and Ned could've called up Gamel, Nelson or Branyan to DH this series and chose not to. It's still a disadvantage compared to Ortiz but the oppurtunity was there for them to call up a left handed power hitter and they chose not to. That is their own fault and further shows the incompetence that Melvin and Yost have displayed.

These were some of the quotes.

"We talked about a number of guys, not just Russell," said Yost, referring Nashville infielder/outfielder Hernan Iribarren and Class AA Huntsville third baseman Mat Gamel, who has been on a tear all season in the Southern League.
We've got Billy playing third base. I like our bench the way it is.
"We like our flexibility, the way it is right now. We can move guys up and down without waivers. It was (a move) we considered and about two other guys. We consider everything. For a three-game set, we didn't want to bring in a guy. If we were playing nine games in interleague right there, we would have done something, I imagine."
There is absolutely no reason to not call up either Nelson or Branyan. Who cares if it's only a three game set? Don't send them back down. You can't tell me Branyan or Nelson wouldn't serve a better role than Gwynn does on this team.

Who cares if it's only a three game set?
Exactly. What kind of thinking is that? They're basically saying they're okay with playing at a disadvantage, if it's "only" for 3 games? The way this team is playing, they should be pulling out all the stops in order to try and gain some advantages in any and every game.

Gwynn is absolutely useless to this team right now. Tommorow being an off day, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gwynn down and Branyan up.

Which will demonstrate just how idiotic it was not to do it before playing Boston.

Unreal. I am so sick of this team. How can we win if we have a management basically giving up a spot in the lineup but since it was "only" 3 games...they don't care. If there was a board of directors like the Packers have there is no way Sherman nor Yost last one game....

Add the DH to the NL, then nobody has an unfair advantage and we don't have to watch Ben Sheets hit. Pitchers don't have the time to properly train to be hitters and there is no reason to send them out there other than people clinging to the notion "this is how it is supposed to be".

The unfair advantage isn't with the DH. It's with the payroll that can be spent. If the Brewers and the Red Sox had the same resources and the same payroll, than the Brewers would spend more money elsewhere on the roster and would have an advantage over the Red Sox in other areas. The Brewers won't be signficantly disadvantaged against the Blue Jays or the Os.

Add the DH to the NL, then nobody has an unfair advantage and we don't have to watch Ben Sheets hit. Pitchers don't have the time to properly train to be hitters and there is no reason to send them out there other than people clinging to the notion "this is how it is supposed to be".

Definitely would be my solution, too.

Ennder, I completely agree. As much as I love watching the strategy and moves during a NL game....the two leagues will never be even (as seen in the last numerous years of the AL domination over NL in interleague).

I would prefer that MLB change and have the DH in both leagues. I would like to assume that the fans of the NL would eventually come to accept and cheer the DH if not given a choice. Competition between teams would be fiece and even. Anyone would be able to win (assuming certain owners spend their money). Start a new era.

the two leagues will never be even (as seen in the last numerous years of the AL domination over NL in interleague).

I don't think you can put that all on the DH. There was a fair amount of talent movement from the NL to the AL over a couple of years that contributed to that.

I don't think you can put that all on the DH. There was a fair amount of talent movement from the NL to the AL over a couple of years that contributed to that.
The thing is AL teams sign DH's specifically, the NL usually uses ...

A. Best bench player

B. Minor leaguer

I agree with a few others, just bring the DH to the NL.

(cleaned up code --1992)

Ennder, I completely agree. As much as I love watching the strategy and moves during a NL game....the two leagues will never be even (as seen in the last numerous years of the AL domination over NL in interleague).
So why not solve the imbalance by doing away with the DH?

The NL won the series in 97, 99, 02, and 03, and there was a one game difference in 04. The DH wasn't an overwhelming factor until the last couple of years. The record is AL 1387 NL 1317 from 97-07.

Archived