Brewer Fanatic

Braun's attitude vs. Fielder's attitude

BREWCREW5

it's refreshing to hear braun's parents - both of them - say "i hope he stays grounded." meanwhile, prince's parent does not have great parenting skills. hopefully prince will learn from guys like braun, as strange as that sounds.

prince needs to start producing. now.

None of us is close enough to this team to make any value judgments about any player's attitude. Fielder could be the greatest guy in the world, or he could be a tool. . .none of us really knows.

He seems like a terrific guy with the respect of his teammates. He has a world of talent, and we're fortunate to have him on the Brewers. I can see how he might be angry about his salary. I just hope he uses it as motivation to do well.

This is a terrible argument. You don't base contracts on what sports writers think.

As true as that may be, you better believe Boras would use a ROY award in contract/arbitration cases.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'm with Jim. Way to much speculation on his personal life, and his relationship with the team. Perhaps Boras is causing problems with the field extension. Who knows.

Prince seems like a good enough guy from interviews. He did do something that no other guy did before, and that's hit 50 HR at his age. That deserves some kind of reward. the other question the club has to answer before locking him up to a long deal is. It breaks my heart to say it, but how long will we continue to have prince since he's a defensive liablity and we don't have the DH spot to hide him? We also have LaPorta in the wings who might be able to make a big splash in 1B.

So as far as we know, DM is causing the drama by low balling prince in extension offers due to him being gun shy on how long we can keep prince at first.

I like Prince because it seems that he clearly wants to win and isupset when he/team play poorly. I don't get the impression that it's disproportionately about the money for Prince, and you can't blame him for wanting more money given the nature of the game. I think his defense is a liability, along with his weight, and even though I really like him I'll understand when the Brewers have to let him go get his money in the AL. And what's important is that I think he understands that too. You can rip on Cecil all you want, but Prince certainly knows this is a business and a player would be naive to think anything else.
You may run like Mays...

Sure... but wouldn't you be too if you just hit 50 jacks in the big leagues and were getting paid about half a million dollars for it?

Not as mad as I would be to pay a poor defender whose OPS is around .750 a couple million.

This is a terrible argument. You don't base contracts on what sports writers think.

Along with statistical production that is exacly the sort of stuff Melvin bases the first three years of contracts on. It's also a component in arbitration for the palyers as well. Had Prince not been called up for another year or so he probalby wold have made more money his second and third year in the bigs. Soenhow i got a feeling he wouldn't have been as happy if the Brewers waited until he was Howards age to call him up so maybe he should quit comparing himself to him.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

For $670,000 per year I'll play first base in all 162 games + playoffs, clean the clubhouse, drive the team bus AND keep Ned in fresh coffee.

Of course you would, since you don't have a skill that can make someone else millions of dollars.

I think the whole point is that Prince has publicly vented about his salary and the fact that he's in Milwaukee for a few years regardless (and didn't make it sound like it was a good thing). If he wants to be paid now, all he has to do is look across the clubhouse at Ryan Braun. Of course he likely won't take a deal like Braun just signed. So, bottom line for me is if he complains any more about his pay, he's a dolt.

I If he wants to be paid now, all he has to do is look across the clubhouse at Ryan Braun. Of course he likely won't take a deal like Braun just signed.

Exactly, they are both making a choice. Braun, sensibly to risk averse me, has chosen the certainty of $45 million over the uncertainty of $80 million (or whatever) a few years down the road. Prince is choosing to take a risk for potentially larger rewards down the road.

Archived