Brewer Fanatic

Stetter to AAA, ZachJack to MIL

I wasn't a big Stetter guy, but I'm less of a Jackson guy. When I saw this I was left thinking "Why?", and as I type this I still have that thought lingering. The lack of anything resembling MLB quality in the upper levels of the farm system is a real drag right now. In a couple years though we'll have a bunch of nice arms at AA and AAA, assuming players progress 1 level at a time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd rather have called up a lefty with some talent for the 2nd bullpen lefty spot. I'd think Narron's 60 mph changeup and strike-throwing ability would do better than Jackson's mediocre stuff

Stetter has been awful the last few times so I understand him being sent down but Zach Jackson?

My thoughts exactly, unless the plan is "Stetter needs minor league time, so we'll just call up a token replacement who we have no plans of using outside of an emergency or mop job".

Um, as noted on page 1 of this topic, I think the only reason ZachJack gets the call is due to the number of Red Sox lefty hitters. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I'll bet a 6 pack of Kul Light this will be Ned's reasoning on the pregame show tonight.

The only thing I can figure is that they are bring up guys who can provide a lot of bullpen innings, which seems like a reasonable guess given how taxed the pen has been and the possibility of some blowouts at the hands of the Red Sox. DeFelice is stretched out as a starter, and Jackson hasn't been relieving for all that long, so can presumably go multiple innings as well if needed. That and he uses his left hand I guess, and Ned seems to want a lefty. Had Stetter not suddenly lost the strike zone I doubt Jackson would have been under consideration, but they couldn't exactly trust Stetter to put out fires in his current state. On the other hand, while Stetter obviously has some figuring to do, I do expect him to be back some day. I haven't had much regard for Jackson in the past, but he'll certainly be given a chance to prove us all wrong. Perhaps the switch to the pen will do him good?

but I'll bet a 6 pack of Kul Light this will be Ned's reasoning on the pregame show tonight.

I'd rather hear Doug's reasoning on it. Ned's job is to use who Melvin gives him. Melvin's job is to give him useful players to use. Ned I'm sure will repeat the company line since publicly questioning his boss' choice is not a sound strategy to ramain employed.

I agree with SoCal about the multiple innings guys. Ned and Doug seem to like guys who go longer than one in the pen. I'm not as convinced there is any more reason to believe the Sox can blow out the Brewers than any other team though. The Brewers don't get blown out often and they have faced as tough a teams as Boston already this season.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What are the odds that we see a Jackson v Ortiz matchup at some point this series?

I would think Ortiz will Shousie's responsibility.

Sure, but we know with Yost running the show we could face a situation with Shouse already burned and ZachJack as our only left handed option.

There is no reason to clear any 40 man room, there is more than enough space as it is.

I disagree. I'd rather have my 40-man with the most flexibility right now and get rid of players who don't have a reasonably good future with the Brewers. This will allow the Brewers to not have to DFA a player down the stretch and lose him to another team. I see Jackson on the 40-man similar to Drew Anderson on the 40-man -- it's a waste of a 40-man spot and limits flexibility down the stretch.

So dump him when you actually have someone better. Jackson is a left handed 25 year old pitcher. He's unlikely to be more than a reliever but he's far from the cut bait point. The Brewers have two open spots on the 40 man as it is and can move either Capunao or Gallardo to the 60 day to free up more room.

Yost pretty much gets to determine the last few guys on the roster from everything that seems to be said. Since he's the one that will use them it makes sense.

How is yost supposed to know how well all the minor league players are actually performing? He has no way or time to both scout minor league players or evaluate them and do the day to day managerial duties he was hired to do. I have no doubt that he can tell Doug the type of guy he wants but that is not the same as him determineintg who is ready to contrbute or who has the potential to be useful. Don't you think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Yost to know the minor league players, how well they are performing and whether or not they are ready to play at he major league level yet when he has no ablitiy to go see them or the time to break down scounting reports, or talk to the AAA manager in detail about them or even watch video of them? Seesm to me that is why they have GM's to begin with to evaluate the team talent throughout the organization and the rest of the league. If Yost is expected to do half the GM's job then I think this organization has a lot more problems than we could ever hope to solve.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

How is yost supposed to know how well all the minor league players are actually performing? He has no way or time to both scout minor league players or evaluate them and do the day to day managerial duties he was hired to do.

There are other Brewers employees to provide the kind of detail you're describing. Ned & Doug have to trust those reports, and I'm sure it's pretty much the same as other organizations.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

JJHardy7 wrote:

I disagree. I'd rather have my 40-man with the most flexibility right now and get rid of players who don't have a reasonably good future with the Brewers. This will allow the Brewers to not have to DFA a player down the stretch and lose him to another team. I see Jackson on the 40-man similar to Drew Anderson on the 40-man -- it's a waste of a 40-man spot and limits flexibility down the stretch.

We have plenty of room on the 40-man roster. We have 3 spots plus 2 spots taken up by Capuano and Gallardo who can be moved to the 60 day DL at any time since they are both probably done for the season. 5 spots total.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know we don't like to talk about intangible things like a players "psyche" here on Brewerfan.net because we are more numbers oriented, but I'll throw this out there anyways:

Maybe Zack Jack will become more motivated and confident from coming to the big leagues and he will shine. It's not likely, but it very well could happen. He does remind me of a left handed version of Riske if you look at his style and stuff.

I know we don't like to talk about intangible things like a players "psyche" here on Brewerfan.net because we are more numbers oriented, but I'll throw this out there anyways:

Maybe Zack Jack will become more motivated and confident from coming to the big leagues and he will shine. It's not likely, but it very well could happen. He does remind me of a left handed version of Riske if you look at his style and stuff.

I can't recall what zach throws, but he has to have more than one pitch if he was a starter most of his career. Riske pretty much just varies a fastball.

Jackson has a funky delivery and very average stuff. I always figured he was better suited to relief because once hitters saw him the 2nd or 3rd time around, he was toast.

But I'm not big on guys getting promoted with ERA's of 6.98. They did have a choice without affecting the 40 man. They could have recalled Dillard. Yes he's not a lefty but at least he's earned a promotion with decent work this season. Hopefully, Stetter will get it turned around quickly and he'll be back.

I agree with the idea "Im OK with the idea of Stetter going down, but why Jackson coming up"

I suspect that DM realizes we need some LHP to deal with the BoSox lineup -- why not Erasmo Ramirez who has a lot of MLB experience, why not add him to the 40 man?

FTJ beat me to it - Ramirez has been pitching great and is a lefty and with the open spots on the 40 why not? The only thing I can think of is with the sheer quantity of leftys Boston has they may need a lefty who is a long reliever who can go 2-3 innings or more, especially with the DH.

Archived