Brewer Fanatic

Stetter to AAA, ZachJack to MIL

They had no choice but to try someone else.

The guy couldn't throw a strike in a game where he had a 6-run lead.

I'd argue his control in these last two appearances was worse than Turnbow's ever was. At least Turnbow was able to throw enough strikes to get an out or two.

He needs to work it out in AAA, not against Boston, Pittsburgh, or Washington.

He'll be back up in a few weeks.

Send a message. No matter how good you've been if you stop strikes you're going down.

Aren't they mutually exclusive. If you can't throw strikes you aren't "being good". The only message the Brewers are sending is that they don't think Stetter is the best option for the pen right now. Why they think Jackson is, though, is kind of confusing.

Stetter has been awful the last few times so I understand him being sent down but Zach Jackson? Cant say Im too happy about seeing him up with the club. While we are sending down guys how about Gwynn to AAA and Branyan up to Milwaukee.

Verified Member
His left-handedness must have been the deciding factor. His splits make me feel a bit better, but I'm still not thrilled. He's got a 2.92 ERA in 5 relief appearances compared to 8.89 as a starter. 4.66 ERA (.229 AVG) against lefties vs 7.76 ERA (.354 AVG) against righties.

The Red Sox have 6 left handed hitters on their roster and two switch hitters. This is probably what drove ZachJack call up.

While Zach didn't pitch well as a starter this year, it's probably silly to write him off so early in the season.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/J/Zach-Jackson.shtml

Looking at the numbers, his BB/9IP is actually lower in 2008 than his prior 3 turns at AAA. Lest we forget, despite having been called up 2 years ago during the Great Pitching Drought of '06, ZacJac is still only 25 years old. It's far too early to give up on the guy.

As long as he can keep his BB totals down, he should be a pretty effective one-inning guy, assuming he hasn't changed his delivery style.

Small sample alert, but one thing to consider for a guy coming up to serve as a LOOGY:

With runners on, Jackson's line (19 IP) -- .303/.368/.461/.828, .338 BABIP, 1.63 WHIP

That's kind of weird data to use, since he's been both a RP & SP. Can anyone weigh in on how he's done thus far with runners on/runners on in the RP role? Maybe JJHardy7 (iirc he's in Nashville)?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I absolutely love this! Send a message. No matter how good you've been if you stop strikes you're going down.

I don't really have a problem with Stetter getting sent down. The choice of Jackson is what I have a problem with -- there are much better options in my eyes (and more deserving to a certain extent) Bray, Dillard, and I think Pena would do better. If the Brewers feel they NEED to have 2 lefties in the pen, I'd rather they trade for one than have to watch Jackson get crushed in Boston.

The only way I see this as a decent move is if Jackson struggles they DFA him and see if he clears. If he does, than we can take him off the 40-man roster and put someone else (Bray, Branyan, etc) on the 40-man and make it easier to call them up when/if needed.

Why not call up Branyan or Nelson to DH?

There is no reason to clear any 40 man room, there is more than enough space as it is.

I disagree. I'd rather have my 40-man with the most flexibility right now and get rid of players who don't have a reasonably good future with the Brewers. This will allow the Brewers to not have to DFA a player down the stretch and lose him to another team. I see Jackson on the 40-man similar to Drew Anderson on the 40-man -- it's a waste of a 40-man spot and limits flexibility down the stretch.

Bizarre...

BP has Zach projected as a 5.8 ERA, 1.7 WHIP guy, which doesn't inspire confidence especially when coupled with his atrocious start to the season and the ferocious Boston lineup. I don't see this ending well, though over a small sample anything is possible.

Archived