Brewer Fanatic

Inman vs. Brewers

JJHardy7
This can be locked or moved where needed...but talking to a few buddies that follow the Brewers closely we were all wondering why the Brewers didn't like Inman as much. Melvin has said in a radio interview that the Brewers have as good or better prospects in the minors. Was there any signs of this before the trade? We were in the opinion that he was thought highly of...My big point is even if the Brewers think Inman will hit the wall, not do well, etc...were there that many others in the league that thought this? I just thought we could get more for Inman (even straight up) than what we got. The guy we got will help out, but I think this ultimately looks like at a rental to get picks trade. It just scares me that we gave up a guy that has been doing well and he's only 20. We can get these picks, but we all know it's kind of a guessing game with baseball drafts. If I remember right, that draft we took Rogers and Inman high...now we are without both for at least awhile. I think this has to be looked at as a propects for a rental and future picks trade. I just hope they draft well.

I know my post was somewhat long, but any thoughts on this? Was there any word the Brewers weren't big on him? Giving up (and I'll be conservative) a top 10 prospect in the minors up in this trade...

Quote:
The Brewers web site said Inman was the Brewers 3rd ranked prospect.

The problem is that with Gallardo and Braun in the majors, he was their best prospect.

I'm not sure why the Brewers didn't like Inman that much, especially when you consider that they have just had success with two guys who aren't that big and don't throw that hard (Villanueva and Gallardo) and just signed a 3rd guy like that to a $42 million contract. Inexplicable, imo.

I don't think it really has anything to do with the Brewers "not liking" him as a prospect. I think it was more that SD demanded a top-notch prospect for somebody along the lines of Linebrink. You gotta give something to get something usually.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote:
You gotta give something to get something usually.

Sure, but what did they get? 20 innings? 25? No way would they have dealt the first 6 years of a Gallardo or a Braun for something like that, even if you consider the possibility of compensatory picks (which I'm skeptical of because Linebrink isn't that good. I think they end up non-tendering him after he gets rocked down the stretch or if they tender him, he takes the deal like Graffy did).

If the Brewers are sure that they will offer arby and get draft picks one could look at the trade as Inman vs. Linebrink, And then Garrison and Thatcher vs. those early draft picks. One could argue the Brewers gaining ground on the draft picks and losing it on the Inman side.

Sure, but what did they get? 20 innings? 25? No way would they have dealt the first 6 years of a Gallardo or a Braun for something like that, even if you consider the possibility of compensatory picks

If they would have been in a playoff race and needed help I think that it would have been discussed about moving Yo. Young pitching is hard to gauge with injuries and all the other stuff involved.

Inman may have been the top prospect in the minors but he was a long way from helping the Brewers the next couple of years and the team has other pitchers that could do what Inman does.

This called a pennant race for thos of you who forgot what it was like or not around the last time the team was in a race.

I like Inman as a prospect. However, when was he gonna pitch in Milwaukee. Suppan is in the rotation for the next 3 seasons whether we want him to be or not. That also would include Gallardo, Villanueva, and Parra. I would like to see Sheets get extended. That would be 5 pitchers and then we need to figure out what to do with Cappy, Bush, Vargas, and even Zack-Jack. There is just no room in Milwaukee for Inman.

I don't think its a case of the Brewers not liking Inman. If you only traded players you didn't like, you wouldn't make many trades, because chances are that other teams' scouts wouldn't like those guys either.

You have to give up a good player(s) in order to get something of value in return. The Brewers probably could have given up less to get a lesser RP, but in order to get one of the premier set up men in the league, they had to give up decent prospects.

If the Brewers were trying to win in 2010, they probably would have kept Inman. But, they are trying to win in 2007.

I agree...but Melvin's comments that there are as good or better players than three we gave up already in AAA. Who does he consider as good as Inman or better? He's our highest rated prospect and we gave him up for a 30 year old struggling rp. It just seems odd that Melvin's view of his value was this low.

Quote:
....and Parra.....I think Jeffress has more potential than Inman

Parra is not a long term solution for the rotation, everyone will see after Saturday. He has been hit very hard since being called up in his few appearances. That tends to happen when your fastball doesnt move, anywhere.

As for Jeffress, I see another JM Gold or Mike Jones in him. Hes a project more than a prospect.

Moving Inman was a good move, Linebrink in return gives them a much needed, solid, experienced arm in the bullpen in exchange for a guy who is going to top out at best in AA and 2 other guys that would may have seen 10 games on a major league roster during the entire course of their careers.

(fixed broken code --1992)

Quote:
Parra is not a long term solution for the rotation, everyone will see after Saturday. He has been hit very hard since being called up in his few appearances.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Nice try. Parra has looked pretty solid actually.

I suppose next you'll tell us that Braun has a hole in his swing.

Quote:
Parra is not a long term solution for the rotation, everyone will see after Saturday. He has been hit very hard since being called up in his few appearances. That tends to happen when your fastball doesnt move, anywhere.
Pretty sure he had at least one good game in AAA this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Quote:

Manny has been hit hard? This year in the majors the guy has a Whip of .857. Is it going to stay that way? No(although that is pretty much the same whip he had in Nashville this year), he has only pitched 2.1 innings so far. Talk about your small sample size. He might get beat up, he might not. But let's atleast give the guy double digit innings before we decide his fate.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived