Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 5/15 -- Jeffress Uneven in Debut

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 2, New Orleans (Mets) 1

Nashville Site Game Summary:
Link for new Lindsay Gulin photo, text follows --

Gulin Dominates Z's In 2-1 Sounds Win

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Sounds starter Lindsay Gulin threw six innings of no-hit baseball to pick up his first win of the season and lead Nashville past the New Orleans Zephyrs, 2-1, at Greer Stadium on Thursday night in the opener of a four-game series.

Gulin (1-3), who struck out a season-high 10 batters, was taken out after the sixth inning because he had thrown 109 pitches. Ben Howard took over for Gulin in the seventh and gave up one run, then Tim Dillard and Luis Pena pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings to close the game with Pena earning his fourth save of the year. Sounds pitchers only gave up two hits on the night.

Zephyrs starter Brian Stokes (4-4) pitched his fourth quality start of the season but was unable to outduel Gulin.

Russell Branyan continued to swing a hot bat with a double down the right field line in the bottom of the second inning off Stokes. Vinny Rottino moved him to third with a groundout, and then Brendan Katin knocked a two-out infield single on a groundball that Zephyrs shortstop Anderson Hernandez managed to keep from squirting into the outfield. Hernandez tried to make the long throw to get Katin but sailed the ball over Michael Abreu's head at first base, allowing the run to score.

AUDIO: Brendan Katin RBI Single

The Sounds put up another single digit on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third inning when Adam Heether started a two-out rally with a single to right field. Laynce Nix followed with a single of his own to extend his hitting streak to nine games, matching the longest streak for the Sounds this season. Brad Nelson walked to bring Branyan up with the bases loaded, but he never lifted the bat off his shoulder and took a five-pitch walk to score Heether from third.

The Zephyrs scored their lone run in the top of the seventh inning when Anderson Machado singled in Gustavo Molina, who started the inning off with a single.

The teams will face off again tomorrow night at Greer Stadium at 7:00 p.m. Lefty Chris Narveson (2-4, 3.94) will man the bump for the Sounds with right-hander Tony Armas, Jr. (1-4, 3.02) taking the mound for New Orleans.

Nashville Box Score
Linday Gulin probably topped out at 80 MPH, amazing; Tim Dillard must have been disappointed he didn't get "the call", but he didn't show it here; Hernan Iribarren back at second base for a night -- I like that...

Nashville Game Log

So Hammond stole second, and not on a busted hit-and-run. Apparently he has four steals in his year+ at Huntsville. Interesting

He probably figures if he can steal a few he may give Gywnn a run for his money on a roster spot. I am sure Hammond can out hit him, so if he steals a few bags theres a chance! I am only half kidding:(

I don't post too much but do check into brewerfan every day. I was in Brevard tonight to see Jeffress' advanced A debut. I was looking forward too seeing his stuff live. I only wish he had a longer outing. He continues to throw heat but struggled with location. He did look a bit anxious/rusty. As to be expected, the stadium's radar was a bit off. I sat behind the scouts in the first inning and Jeffress topped out at 97 mph on their jugs. There has been some question to his velocity in the past, but I assure you he throws gas. As noted earlier, he had three K's in the first. He did throw some off-speed pitches during the outing which caught a couple guys off guard. On a side note, Jeffress' mother did a fantastic job with the national anthem just prior to first pitch. Let's hope he's just a bit rusty. Looking forward to his next outing.

This Jeffress scouting report from when he was at WV last year is courtesy of Josh Kalk:

When I saw him pitch last year while he walked a lot of batters his slider looked a lot better then the billing it has got. He throws that pitch with a lot of bite and a considerable speed differential compared to his fastball. While I haven't run the numbers yet for sliders, speed differential appears to be one of the most important things in throwing a good curveball. His change is still a work in progress but honestly I think he could easily start in the bigs with just his fastball and slider. He absolutely over matched the A batters last year and I would be shocked if A+ batters give him any trouble. The only reason to keep him at A+ all year would be for stability which maybe makes some sense. I have seen a lot of talent live for the brewers in A ball and Jeffress was a man among boys like no player I have seen since Fielder was in Beloit. I saw Gallardo pitch and while he was impressive his raw stuff is not close to Jeffress. Obviously, Jeffress' control will probably never be as good as Gallardo right now but all the tools are there and they are mostly developed.

Thanks for the first-hand report on Jeffress. Honestly, I could care less what his line looked like this evening, I'm just happy as heck to see him back on the field, and the one positive I can take from his absence is that it wasn't because of any arm/injury troubles.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/josh23fan/Jeffress.jpg

Sorry about the size of this photo. I thought some might enjoy it. I'm still figuring out the posting of pics. Jeremy isn't physically imposing but he does throw hard.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Carolina (Marlins) 3, Huntsville 2, 12 innings

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Mudcats Rally To Down Stars in Extras
By Brett Pollock / Huntsville Stars

John Raynor drove in the game-winning run in the 12th inning to lead Carolina to a 3-2 comeback win over Huntsville Thursday night in the opener of a five-game set at Joe Davis Stadium. The Mudcats improved to 23-18 on the season, while the Stars saw their six-game win streak brought to a halt and slipped to 29-12 overall. The Stars lead over idle West Tenn in the North Division was cut to four and a half games.

Pinch-hitter Andy Jenkins led off the 12th with a double and moved to third base on a Brad Davis sacrifice bunt. Lorenzo Scott then sent a ground ball back to the mound that deflected off pitcher David Johnson, who picked up the ball near the first base line and threw home, only to see Jenkins stay put at third. Scott reached on a fielder's choice and moved to second base on defensive indifference before Raynor delivered a fly ball to chase home Jenkins with the go-ahead run.

Carlos Martinez worked around a Mat Gamel single in the bottom of the inning to record his first save in four chances and help send the Stars to just their fourth loss in 21 home games. Chris Mobley tossed a scoreless 11th inning for the win and Jesus Delgado tossed four shutout frames in his longest relief appearance of the year.

Stars' starter Steve Hammond led off the home third with a single, stole second base and scored on a throwing error by Mudcats' starter Ryan Tucker on a Michael Brantley bunt base hit. Angel Salome's two-out, run-scoring hit in the sixth staked the Stars to a 2-0 lead. Tucker was lifted after six innings, giving up two runs, one earned, on seven hits. The young right-hander has not allowed more than two runs in any of his nine starts.

Hammond was taken out after six scoreless innings and replaced by Jason Shiell, who worked out of trouble in the seventh and was taken out after back-to-back walks with one out in the eighth in his first appearance for Huntsville. Raynor and Cameron Maybin then pulled off a double steal before Patrick Ryan fanned Chris Coghlan for the second out. Gaby Sanchez came through by lacing a double down the left field line to score both runners to tie the game on only the seventh hit allowed by Ryan in 19 innings.

The series continues Friday night with left-hander Derek Miller taking the mound for the Stars against Mudcats' right-hander Chris Volstad. Coverage of the game begins at 6:50 pm central time and can be heard locally on SportsRadio 730 WUMP and through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com and www.730ump.com.

Huntsville Box Score

Matt LaPorta walked three times; Angel Salome two singles and a walk; David Johnson was excellent, but unfortunately takes the loss despite a fine four-inning relief stint; the Stars should have to make a roster move once Mike Jones arrives there...

Huntsville Game Log

Thanks for the first-hand report on Jeffress. Honestly, I could care less what his line looked like this evening, I'm just happy as heck to see him back on the field, and the one positive I can take from his absence is that it wasn't because of any arm/injury troubles.

Agreed. There are far worse things a pitcher can do than smoke weed everyday...like getting hurt. Great to see him back in the box scores, and lets hope the rust is shaken next time around.

Archived