Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs: 8/$45M, 8/$51M if super two; includes this year, buys out 2 FA years; Latest: salary breakdown (reply #205)

aracko

I'm a day late, just wanna say it's a good deal for the Brewers. Braun is a stud and is still improving, he also has very good character and is a good team-mate. Now please let's lock up Hart to a long term deal asap!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=33 is a link to the breakdown of the Braun contract (I haven't seen it posted here yet).

Here is the year-by-year breakdown of the eight-year, $45 million contract that Ryan Braun agreed to with the Brewers on Thursday:

2008: $455,000 plus $2.3 million signing bonus

2009: $745,000

2010: $1 million

2011: $4 million

2012: $6 million

2013: $8.5 million

2014: $10 million

2015: $12 million

If Braun becomes eligible for salary arbitration after 2009 as a "Super 2" player, these salaries change:

2010: $3.5 million

2011: $5.5 million

2012: $7.5 million

2013: $9 million

Verified Member

It's more backloaded than I thought it would be. But that gives the team a lot of flexibility over the next 3 to 4 years to pay the big arby raises for the other players.

Only $18.5 million over his arby years? That's a steal.

I'd so much rather deal Prince to the Yankee's, or the Tigers for Bonderman and Procello, or whoever for a COUPLE good power pitchers. Power pitchers win in the post-season.

I could not agree more. I've said it in other threads, we need to deal a position player(s) for arms. Prince makes a lot of sense to me. He's a terrible first basemen(defensively obviously), he would have more value in netting arms than a prospect package would, and those prospects (Gamel, Laporta) staying here would be cheaper making it easier to keep more of the "core" around.

The Boras factor and his bickering about being re-newed still leave a bitter taste in my mouth too. If he's here beyond his arby years, it wont be cheap and honestly I don't want to see that. Overpay for a guy that seems to care that much about the money and possibly cripple the franchise? Stop whining and go play, like Braun did, and look how he got rewarded. In the end that is what's so refreshing and awesome to me, Braun wants to be here, he didn't need the mega crazy deal to convince him. He likes its here and he took a deal that everyone seems to agree was fair to him and the franchise. I heard someone on the radio say it was important to him to have a deal that everyone was satisfied with, not just him. That's the anti-Boras if there is one. I love Ryan Braun.

2008: $455,000 plus $2.3 million signing bonus

2009: $745,000

2010: $1 million

2011: $4 million

2012: $6 million

2013: $8.5 million

2014: $10 million

2015: $12 million

If Braun becomes eligible for salary arbitration after 2009 as a "Super 2" player, these salaries change:

2010: $3.5 million

2011: $5.5 million

2012: $7.5 million

2013: $9 million

Even if he does go "super 2" there aren't too many years (if any) in this deal where the Brewers lose money over what they would have had to pay in arby or in free agency. The only place they lose for sure is with the $2.3M signing bonus this year. Other than that, assuming his production remains constant, the team comes out ahead in every year of this deal, IMO. Enough in fact to more than recover the money lost to the signing bonus.

First -- Braun, I love this deal beyond words. A lot of the positives mentioned many times in this thread I am in total agreement with.

Second -- Hart, I think Hart should be the next target, especially if he is the future CFer for the Brewers. I think his stock is low (relative to Braun) right now, and if there is little doubt in my mind that Hart could produce a great OPS for CFer and provide decent D.

Third -- YoGa --I don't like extending pitchers very much in general, but Yo is certainly the pitcher I would look at extending.

Fourth -- Prince/Weeks -- The thought of these guys anchoring the right side of our IF together for the next 5-6 years makes me pee the bed at night. Weeks has no business on a playoff team's IF with a .187 BA and the C3P0 style of defense he provides. I think if we had a stud defensive 1b we could live with Weeks, or a stud defensive 2b, Fielder would be AOK at 1b, but the combination of the 2 does not equal crazy delicious to me.

I think Yoga should be signed as well, but I wouldn't offer an extension till we make sure his ACL tear hasn't changed any mechanics in his delivery. I figure he might not be trusting of the knee a bit.

There's no reason to rush a deal with Gallardo, he's nowhere near FA yet, and they need to be certain he makes a full recovery.

I have no reason to think that he won't, but I think after the 09 season is the time for that deal.

It's time to sign Corey Hart.

bork wrote:

It's more backloaded than I thought it would be. But that gives the team a lot of flexibility over the next 3 to 4 years to pay the big arby raises for the other players.

Really? It is backloaded a lot less than I thought it would be. I was expecting $14m+ in the last couple years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Sign me up for the Corey Hart extension as well, although I am conflicted about it because we have a lot of minor leaguers who project as OF'ers. With Braun locked in as an OF and Hart would be as well. That leaves one spot for LaPorta, Gamel (if his glove doesnt stick at 3rd), Brantley, and Gillespie. Now Brantley and Gillespie are far from sure things. LaPorta could stay in the OF with Braun and Hart if Gamel sticks at 3rd, or one of them could move to 1st when/if Prince leaves.

IF we trade prince this offseason (whoever we're trading with will have Prince under their control for atleast 3 seasons). Hopefully he rebounds in the later half of the season and ends up around .280/.350/.550 40 HR/110 RBI.... if so, i'd imagine we would be able to get an absolute HAUL in prospects for him.

Assuming Sheeter stays healthy this year, and assuming LaPorta would be ready to step into 1B next season (if not the OF).... the Brewers should sign Sheets using Prince's $$$$, and target 1/2 really good arms with Prince as trade bait. I'm not sure the Yankees make great trading partners, especially since they seem to have "gotten it" about needing to develop their own (less expensive) players.... but they are heading into their new ballpark, will have a huge surge in revenue, and probably want to make an offseason splash.

They can sign away (for FA pitchers, probably going to lose patience with Joba and Hughes anyways).

Anyways we could steal BOTH Joba/Hughes, or a similar package from another team in exchange for Fielder. We'd still be a year away... but

Braun, Hart, LaPorta, Gamel, Hardy would be a pretty good core by 2010... and a rotation of Sheets, Yo, Joba, Hughes, Villy/Parra would be lights out.......

What about a straight-up Prince for King Felix trade? He's arguably the top young pitcher in baseball and his repertoire is second-to-none. The Mariners are in desperate need of some offense and Prince is a generational talent.

Fourth -- Prince/Weeks -- The thought of these guys anchoring the right side of our IF together for the next 5-6 years makes me pee the bed at night.

It seems apparent that Fielder will not be here long term. If the Brewers still feel Weeks will be an elite offensive player, I think now is a great time to try and buy low if he is receptive to it.

What about a straight-up Prince for King Felix trade? He's arguably the top young pitcher in baseball and his repertoire is second-to-none. The Mariners are in desperate need of some offense and Prince is a generational talent.

I would do that in a heartbeat. What about adding Jeff Clement for their choice of a prospect not named Mat(t)?

I'm really happy about Braun's deal.

I just hope he doesn't end up being Milwaukee's Helton - a HOFer who only gets to the WS once due to a perpetually irrelevant team putting together a once-in-a-generation hot streak and benefitting from the dramatic collapses of all around them.

Then again, seeing as I can remember 1982, and knowing how long ago it was, maybe just one WS for Braunie in Milwaukee is as much as I can ask for.

unlike that 25 year gap, there is talent up and down the organization finally. The Marlins and Twins have given us roadmaps on how to field a competitive team without a ton of money...its up to the managers and front office not to screw that up..

Archived