Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs: 8/$45M, 8/$51M if super two; includes this year, buys out 2 FA years; Latest: salary breakdown (reply #205)

aracko

Ryan Braun is the best player on this team, I don't think there's any question of that. This was the correct player to start this process with, obviously, he felt the same way, and so the deal is done.

This is just awesome, Braun is a unique talent, he's a difference-maker, and they've just locked up his entire prime, right here, for us to watch.

As a fan, how can you not love this?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Presumed Baseline:

08: 455K (Brewers's rating system)

09: 660K (ditto)

10: 950K (ditto)

11: 7M (arby year 1)

12: 8.5M (arby year 2)

13: 10M (arby year 3)

14: 15M (FA year 1)

15: 15M (FA year 2)

I think it is a safe bet that Braun would have gotten a heck of a lot more than $7M in his first arby year. If Howard got $10 million this year, I think Braun would get at least 9 million 3 years from now, probably more

(pared back long quote --1992)

I'd be hard pressed to find anything bad about this deal from the Brewers perspective. It's a good day in Brewer land. The Crew gets Braun for two extra years, and probably only pay him about 18-20 mil (at the most, I figure) - maybe as little as $15M - for those extra two years. There's always the health risk, but this smells like a very reasonable deal from where I sit.

When I heard this in my car this morning, I started clapping (don't worry, I was watching the road). Tremendous news, and shows everyone that the Brewers are serious about keeping this team going. Like others have said, the big thing about this is that they know the certainty of what they will be paying Braun down the line.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I read the news today, oh boy....

I gotta say I didn't see this coming, simply given Braun's seeming proclivity to warm weather and bigger cities, but am very happy it has. The one question I have is how this will affect Prince and his attitude towards the team.

The press conference with Doug Melvin started out pretty funny. Here's the link...

Must suck to be you right now. How are you going to come up with something to talk about on your show today? There's absolutely no news right now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

$45M... think you can afford a haircut now, Ryan? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ryan Braun is the best player on this team, I don't think there's any question of that. This was the correct player to start this process with, obviously, he felt the same way, and so the deal is done.

This is just awesome, Braun is a unique talent, he's a difference-maker, and they've just locked up his entire prime, right here, for us to watch.

As a fan, how can you not love this?

Amen, brother splitter! This deal shows that not only are the Brewers committed to retaining their young star(s), but that they actually have a plan in place for the signings to make an impact. This contract (imo) blows the Tulowitzki deal out of the water. Two FA seasons!!! Two!

Presumed Baseline:
08: 455K (Brewers's rating system)
09: 660K (ditto)
10: 950K (ditto)
11: 7M (arby year 1)
12: 8.5M (arby year 2)
13: 10M (arby year 3)
14: 15M (FA year 1)
15: 15M (FA year 2)

http://www.popwink.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/homer%20drooling.jpg

Hart or YoGa next, please.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

OK, the more I've been thinking about this, and letting it all settle in, the giddier I'm becoming. Let me explain. First, this, to me, marks a turning point for the Brewers as an organization. They've been developing good young players for the last 5 years, and now we're able to keep them. This says to the current guys (and the younger ones coming up), if you put in the work, this organization WILL pay you what you're worth. The equation that comes into my head is when the Packers signed Reggie. They were a doormat for years and years (as the Brewers have been) and bit by bit, they started building back to being credible. The signing of Reggie was the biggest signature of that turning point. To me, Braun is a guy who has natural ability and a desire to be the best, and he's a guy you want to have on your team. The state of Wisconsin will get behind him and he will be the leader of this team for the next 8 years. Awesome move Mark A. and DM and the Brewers organization!!! Sign up Corey next, and whoever else is on the radar!

I'd love to see them try to buy low on Weeks right now. Obviously Hart & YoGa are the two most important following Ryan (operating under the assumption that Boras will be a prick as usual re. Prince), but if we can get any kind of a discount on Rickie, keeping him around for 5-6 more seasons would be sweet.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since most of you folks have already mentioned some of the advantages of this signing, there was one small thing in the JSOnline.com Brewers blog that caught my eye:

"Braun's contract also has a full no-trade clause for four years, a limited clause (12 teams), the next two years and a further limited clause (six teams) the final two years."

I seriously never thought a player in Milwaukee would actually either accept or request a no-trade clause. I am not sure which is the case, but I would think this little snippet is worthy of comment and praise from both the organization and the Braun camp, because it essentially means Braun wants to stay here in Milwaukee.

My how times have changed since our depressing days of the mid 1990's Brewers squads that trotted out the likes of Marc Newfield when we continually traded our best guys (sorry now I may have made some of you cough up phlegm).

But the thing that really impresses me the most about Braun is that, as stated prior in this thread, is he has a good head on his shoulders. I knew that from the get-go after watching the FSN interviewed called, "In My Own Words," when Braun (paraphrased from what I believe he said) basically said, "I know I had a great rookie year and there is always room for improvement and I feel like I can be 'much, much better.'"

I seem to remember him specifically saying 'much, much better' in regards to what his playing expectations are when he plays the game into the future.

In my opinion, what makes this signing much better looking is when the contract expires, he will be 32 at the end of that calendar year. We will be able to see and reap the dividends of what he will really be like once he hits the true prime of his career.

Sheets and Suppan have both had no trade clauses at their requests. As a matter of fact, a team is very unlikely--if not completely unlikely--to ask for a no trade clause on its behalf.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm opposed to signing Hart though. I think that money needs to be put into pitching.

I don't know about that. I think Attanasio will be willing to spend whatever money it will take to get this team in the playoffs and keep them in contention for a playoff spot.

'Till he shows me he can't spend any more money on the payroll, I'll continue to believe that.

That means paying Corey AND spending on pitching.

The press conference with Doug Melvin started out pretty funny. Here's the link...

Must suck to be you right now. How are you going to come up with something to talk about on your show today? There's absolutely no news right now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Dude, it never sucks to be me. Look at this face, this hair, these guns...drink it in...c'mon...you can't help yourself...you're only human...

Here's today's show conversation: http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=12764?page=3

A lot of fans were angry at the Brewers for letting Carlos Lee get out of town, now that the current left fielder has signed a big contract, I wonder how that move looks...

For six seasons, from age 31 to age 36 (the end of his prime, and several more years), the Houston Astros will pay Carlos Lee $100,000,000, or nearly 17 million dollars per season. This includes a full no-trade clause through 2010, with a limited no-trade in 2011 and 2012, making this contract not only burdensome, but also quite difficult to move, should the team have a change of heart.

Carlos is a very solid player, but he is not a franchise player. Over the last eight seasons, Carlos has averaged 30 HR, 102 RBI, and 13 steals - his career batting average is .288, with an OPS of .841. His defense is already quite limited, with an expected decline as his age advances, I doubt anyone would debate me on that.

The Brewers have just locked Braun up through age 31, for (at most) half of what Lee is getting. Once again, Lee is a limited fielder, who will hit 30 HR and drive in 102 runs per year, while stealing 13, for as long as his body can hold up. Lee's career high in homers is 37, Braun nearly matched that as a rookie.

Does anyone think Carlos can match Ryan statistically? I like Carlos - a lot - but honestly, I do not think Lee will match Braun in any statistic - homers, average, OPS, steals, ribbies, runs - none of it, I think Braun is already better, across the board, and he's still years short of his peak. Defensively, Braun still has a lot to learn, but here again, I think he's already better than Lee.

Nice move team, you were correct not to overpay Carlos Lee, and you are correct in locking up the best player on your roster through most of his peak seasons.

Archived