Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs: 8/$45M, 8/$51M if super two; includes this year, buys out 2 FA years; Latest: salary breakdown (reply #205)

aracko
Where are you seeing or hearing that?

The Journal-Sentinel Online.

Well, as of this moment, JS Online is still calling it a seven year extension beyond this year.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, as of this moment, JS Online is still calling it a seven year extension beyond this year.

No, they're not.

"By giving Braun a seven-year extension beyond this year, the Brewers would buy out Braun's first year of free agency... The new deal is an extension of the $455,000 salary Braun was given for this season back in spring training. I'm guessing it has to be worth around $45 million or so."

I am so happy today. Braun has been my favorite Brewer since he came up last season. You could just see superstar written all over him. He just strikes me as the type of player that COULD have a long HOF type career. I don't know for sure if he will, but he has that talent and ability. I would love to see him be a lifetime Brewer and get that #8 in the Miller Park rafters some day down the road.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

No, they're not.

"By giving Braun a seven-year extension beyond this year, the Brewers would buy out Braun's first year of free agency... The new deal is an extension of the $455,000 salary Braun was given for this season back in spring training. I'm guessing it has to be worth around $45 million or so."

Doesn't that say it's a seven-year extension beyond this year? What am I mssing?

Here's Adam McCalvy's blurb on the situation:

The deal is for at least seven years beyond this season and exceeds the six-year, $31 million contract signed by Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who would have been eligible for salary arbitration one year earlier than Braun. Braun's deal blows away the six-year, $17.5 million guaranteed to Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, who like Braun falls into the "zero-plus" category of service time.

Braun's agent, Nez Balelo, was in Milwaukee on Thursday morning but would not discuss details of the deal or confirm one was in place.

Braun hit .324 with 34 home runs last season last season and edged Tulowitzki in a close National League Rookie of the Year vote. Because he was not promoted to the Majors until late May, Braun would not have been eligible for arbitration until the 2010-11 offseason and for free agency until 2013-14.

Interesting that he says it's for at least seven years beyond this one.....

It seems like it's contradicting itself. The beyond the year suggests it begins after this year, but the extension of the salary sounds like it replaces his existing contract and begins this year. Am I missing something?

This is a very smart move. If anyone on this team is a potential HOF'r, its Braun. It is good to have a star associated with your team for his entire career a la Yount. He'll be a Brewer for at least 8-9 years before any potential move. Let's hope this doesn't negatively affect Prince. I think locking up Hart should be next. Having Laporta, Hart and Braun in the OF for the next decade sure would be nice.

Or Hart, Braun, and Gamel with LaPorta at 1st. Find a suitable 3rd baseman somwhere, maybe in a Fielder trade

...I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see Prince get locked up too. However, I'd think that moving one of the prospects first would occur as to not drive their value down at all.

Well, if it is effectively an 8-year deal, I would say Mark A., Doug Melvin, and even Bob Quinn should all take a bow. Obviously they assume some risk, but if Braun plays as assumed, it will be an outstanding deal for the Brewers. And while it provides an awful lot of money and protection for Braun, he and his agent should be commended as well for being willing to give up those 2 years. Certainly seems like a win for both sides.

...I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see Prince get locked up too. However, I'd think that moving one of the prospects first would occur as to not drive their value down at all.

I'm all for Prince getting locked up as well. But if it could only be one, Braun no doubt is my guy. And I'm very happy this is done.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I completely agree. I think having him signed for a few years would definitely be in the Brewers interest. If he plays as expected, they get a great player, and in many ways, having him signed to a fair contract, may actually make him more tradable to an AL team in need of a DH, willing to turn him into 3-4 young pitchers a couple years from now.

Verified Member
The Ryan Braun signing makes the next move the big one. If Corey Hart signs a big deal I don't know if there is enough there to sign Prince, or they become a beer league softball team because I don't know if there will be enough cash to sign some arms.

How much does this effect possibly signing Sheets?

Probably as much as any signing they've made. I wish they'd have talked to their impending FA ace pitcher before a guy who is a FA in six years (of course they may be talking, but as far as we know they aren't).

Buying out two years of FA = Crazy Awesome

Buying out one year of FA = Good, not great

I would love to lock up Hart next. Prince would be OK to lock up, but I doubt he will do it. And frankly, given his body type and poor defense - I could live with LaPorta or Gamel as our 1B of the future. Weeks, Hardy, and Hall all have little value to me.

I would continue to build around Braun, Hart and Yovanni.

I wish they'd have talked to their impending FA ace pitcher before a guy who is a FA in six years (of course they may be talking, but as far as we know they aren't).

I'm going to guess the Brewers have had discussions with Sheets or his people. At this point and time I would have to imagine both sides know what the other wants or needs. I have a feeling before the beginning of the year Sheets wanted more than the Brewers were willing to pay at that time and wanted him to prove himself this year (in terms of staying healthy).

Archived