Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs: 8/$45M, 8/$51M if super two; includes this year, buys out 2 FA years; Latest: salary breakdown (reply #205)

aracko
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They had him cheap still for three years.

But at what cost? Just because you have the power, doesn't mean its smart to use it. Has already raised its ugly head to some extent with Fielder. This makes that stuff go away where Braun is concerned.

If it buys out two years I'm definitely on board. Less than that, and there's a very good chance of it costing them down the road. They had him cheap still for three years.

Even with buying out one year, they would likely be paying him 40 million + for his arby years alone. His 3 arby years and a free agency year would probably run them around 55 million. We took a risk, but if Braunie stays healthy this will save a BUNCH of money.

So is it just coincidence that Braun started hitting the cover off the ball a couple days ago when he no doubt knew this was a done deal?
Better that than to stop hitting because he knows he is set for life no matter what happens.

If it buys out two years I'm definitely on board. Less than that, and there's a very good chance of it costing them down the road. They had him cheap still for three years.

This is such old school thinking and a reason that a lot of players get upset.Yes certain players dont need to get this kind of money but a few of the very talented ones deserve it. I dont see this happening to a ton of young players, but the new faces of the game will reap the benefit.

We took a risk, but if Braunie stays healthy this will save a BUNCH of money.

That's the thing. He needs to stay healthy for the Brewers to not be burned. Tulo's injury doesn't appear to be long-term, but the Rockies are already seeing some of the downside to the contract the gave him.

That's the thing. He needs to stay healthy for the Brewers to not be burned.

That goes with every single contract in baseball. Braun hasn't shown any history of injuries and who knows what he would've cost in arby. We're paying him more than we had to the next few years, but towards the end of that deal when he's in his prime (I can't even imagine how good he'll be) it will be a very good contract for the Brewers. This also sets up the opportunity for Braun to possibly even retire as a Brewer since it appeared he's willing to negotiate with the Brewers.

That's the thing. He needs to stay healthy for the Brewers to not be burned.

That goes with every single contract in baseball.

Except when a player hasn't reached arbitration yet.

Guess I should have read the blog entry more closely. I initially thought the new contract would start right away. If it's a 7-year extension, that would have to buy out 2 years of free agency. I hope that's the case and this makes more sense.

So is it just coincidence that Braun started hitting the cover off the ball a couple days ago when he no doubt knew this was a done deal?
Better that than to stop hitting because he knows he is set for life no matter what happens.

Agreed, and that's my point. Makes me think more and more that contract stuff is contributing to Prince's struggles, and may have contributed to Braun's struggles earlier in the year.

Except when a player hasn't reached arbitration yet.

Understood, but these arby numbers are real dollar figures. If Howard got $10 million, I'd imagine Braun would get $12 - $15 million based on his performance and inflation. We'll have to see the details, but I've got to imagine $12 million or so would be his highest salary in a given year and that would come in his free agent year where he could potentially be making $18 - $25 million per year -- remember this is 7 years from now we're talking about. That number could be even higher by then.

Haudricourt is saying the deal includes this year, so it is through 2014.

Where are you seeing or hearing that? I'm not doubting you I just want to read it if it's out there. It's still a very good day to be a Brewers fan!

Is there really evidence of that much inflation? Not trying to make a point, but actually asking. A-Rod's deal from Texas is still the largest contract ever, and that quite a while ago, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to look at it.

hip hip hooray.

I really dig what Hank Steinbrenner recently said about the Yankees "needing to play like minor leaguers (or more aptly, like the Rays) trying to earn a first contract" or something to that extent.

I do not think this is a concern with Braun. He seems like he is motivated to be the best player in the game, regardless of coin.

Fielder, on the other hand, is motivated by money and a need to spite his father.

We need old man Cecil to come to the ballpark and say some disparraging remarks to get the Round Mound of Pound properly fired up.

Well of course the new contract/extension has to start this year - you can't really have two contracts. Since he already had one for this year, the question is whether it is a 7-year contract or a 7-year extension. The impact on this season from a dollars perspective is rather irrelevant. Its the total and the years that matter.

This is a very smart move. If anyone on this team is a potential HOF'r, its Braun. It is good to have a star associated with your team for his entire career a la Yount. He'll be a Brewer for at least 8-9 years before any potential move. Let's hope this doesn't negatively affect Prince. I think locking up Hart should be next. Having Laporta, Hart and Braun in the OF for the next decade sure would be nice.
Formerly Andersoc420

the inflation comes in when talking about arbitration, not the upper end deals like A-Rod's. Arbitration is based upon the average salary of similar players. Those contracts rise (see Jack Wilson and Jeff Suppan) and with it arbitration awards rise. Arby awards have increased quite a bit in the past 5 years. No reason to expect it NOT to continue. This is a very smart deal.

Archived