Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs: 8/$45M, 8/$51M if super two; includes this year, buys out 2 FA years; Latest: salary breakdown (reply #205)

aracko

Is it a Riske Season ender?

Braun signed his extension?

Crew acquires Greg Maddux for a push at the Pennant?

It feels like a first kiss all over again.....whats going to happen?

Edits: Title updates. - TC, 1992

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a aggressive move to try to save this season, the Brewers have stepped in and offered Jim Edmonds significantly more money to steal him away from the Cubs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Braun to sign record deal

By Tom Haudricourt

Thursday, May 15 2008, 08:18 AM

The Milwaukee Brewers will announce this morning that leftfielder Ryan Braun has agreed to a seven-year contract extension that will be a record in terms of both length and money for the team and the industry.

The Brewers have called a 10 a.m. press conference at Miller Park to make "a major baseball announcement." Braun's agent, Nez Balelo, was contacted en route to Milwaukee this morning but said he could reveal no details prior to the club's announcement.

Knowing the history of Balelo and his agency, CAA, the contract can be expected to far exceed the six-year, $31 millon deal that Colorado gave shortstop Troy Tulowitzki earlier this year. Tulowitzki was the runner-up to Braun for National League rookie of the year in 2007 and has more service time than Braun.

Braun's deal is expected to surpass the largest contract in club history -- the $42 million the Brewers gave free-agent pitcher Jeff Suppan for four years prior to the 2007 season.

By giving Braun a seven-year extension beyond this year, the Brewers would buy out Braun's first year of free agency. Team owner Mark Attanasio said earlier this year it would make no sense to do long-term deals with any of the club's younger stars without buying out at least a year of free agency.

Because Braun played only four months in the majors last year, he has three more years to go to be eligible for salary arbitration. Then, he would need three more years before qualifying for free agency after the 2013 season.

Braun, 24, batted .324 with 34 home runs and 97 RBI in only 113 games last year to earn NL rookie of the year honors. His .634 slugging percentage was the highest for a rookie in major league history.

Braun moved from third base to left field this spring. The club has engaged in negotiations with both Braun and first baseman Prince Fielder, and has its first big breakthrough in trying to tie up their young talent for years to come.

They didn't lock him up. He was already "locked up."

I am a bit skeptical right now. I would have liked them to only do it if it bought out two years of free agency. I'd have been angry if it did not buy out any years, eh. It sounds like it's going to be for a lot of money, and they had him cheap for a few more years.

I am a bit skeptical right now. I would have liked them to only do it if it bought out two years of free agency. I'd have been angry if it did not buy out any years, eh. It sounds like it's going to be for a lot of money, and they had him cheap for a few more years.

Mark A wanted to do it. He has once again proven he will spend money on this team when he deems it necessary. I don't think this deal keeps us from going out and getting another impact player if needed, and it also(IMO) puts us in braun's good graces later on if we want to talk another deal 6 years from now. Also shows guys like fielder that we will make a deal, if both sides are willing to cooperate.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

So is it just coincidence that Braun started hitting the cover off the ball a couple days ago when he no doubt knew this was a done deal?

Also, not to drift too far off topic, but is it possible all this contract stuff continue sto hang over Fielder and contribute to his poor play?

I am happy to hear this news though. Although we owned him for several year, he is that good, that this was going to have to be dealt with sooner rather than later, before it became a potential issue.

Sure lets keep penny pinching the franchise so no one wants to come to Milwaukee and play. This is a great deal so that neither side as to worry about any offseason talks for many years and no hard feelings. Braun has what it takes to be a top player in this league and the right attitude, not much of a gamble in my mind.

Next time Braun has to talk contract it should start out smooth since both sides have shown they can work things out. Prince would be nice to lock up next but he has to be his own man and not a Boras puppet. I still think he will come to his senses and sign some type of deal wit the Crew. Hart has to be on the horizon to getting the next contract out of the young guys.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ryan Braun is quickly becoming the star of this team, and they are paying him as such. My question is, what does this do to Prince? My hope is it motivates him as he will soon be paid far less than Braun. After his public complaining about money at the start of the year, he came across to me as one who has talent, but wants his money. I love the fact that Mark A is willing to put the money in to make this team a winner....love it!

Depends if it is actually a 7 year extension (which is what Hardicourt says) or a seven year deal that just includes this season.

Either way, Braunie could have potentially cost us over 40 million for his 3 arbitration years alone. Buying out a FA year (maybe two) makes this a great deal.

By giving Braun a seven-year extension beyond this year, the Brewers would buy out Braun's first year of free agency. Team owner Mark Attanasio said earlier this year it would make no sense to do long-term deals with any of the club's younger stars without buying out at least a year of free agency.

That tells me it runs through 2015. Doesn't sound like any of this came from an official release, so who knows if he has all the details yet.

It's hard to turn this into anything but good news.
Ok, well I'll be the one to find the 'dark cloud'. I'm excited about this and I'm excited about Attanasio's comments regarding getting some pitching. However, this trend of offering these huge contracts to players who are not even arby eligible yet is starting to bug me. Baseball will always be my favorite sport, but I really wish the economics of MLB was structured closer to the NFL.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived