Brewer Fanatic

Riske Injury

naivin

So are any of you sort of assuming he's headed for elbow surgery, like I am? It just seems that since there was no obvious pain, etc. that he probably just felt something, which probably is not a good thing.

Obviously remains to be seen, but if that is in fact the case, this season is quickly turning into a nightmare from a pitching perspective.

If it's just an elbow dislocation, it's not all that serious. To quote one medical site: "after watching closely 3-5 days, the doctor will have you begin movement excercises of your elbow. Usually recovery occurs without any lasting effects."

I would say it's likely he'll get a stint on the DL but not anything major. I also don't think this is a huge blow to the staff. McClung would figure to take Riske's innings and my guess is they'd call up Dillard for mopup duty.

after watching closely 3-5 days, the doctor will have you begin movement excercises of your elbow. Usually recovery occurs without any lasting effects.

I doubt that "movement excercises" would include throwing a major league fastball and that quote says nothing about the total recovery time and especially about recovery time for a major league pitcher to resume his normal activities.

Riske>>>>>>>McClung. There is no reason to put McClung anywhere near important innings. Stetter will likely get the innings.

Stetter is already getting important innings.

McClung may not be as reliable as Riske, but he's done okay this year and there's no reason he can't be used in 6th or 7th inning of games that they are down a run or two. Whoever they call up (Dillard is my guess based on his performance so far), is not as reliable as McClung.

whoever they call up, I can guarantee you that Yost puts them into a game on the line situation right when they get here ala Balfour last year.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

There is no reason to put McClung anywhere near important innings.

Why? Because he's done alright so far this year? I think you just hate McClung which is fine, but I don't think it's fair to assume all his innings so far this year have been garbage innings.

My guess is that if Riske goes on the DL they call up Dillard. They've been getting him ready for that role in Nashville the past few weeks.

Because he hasn't done well this year and has never done well before. He's a career 6 ERA pitcher. He has walked 11 batters in 15.2 innings this season.

Gagne hasn't done well either, but he's our closer. I've said it numerous times on this site that McClung is finally feeling healthy from his tommy john surgery a few years back, but thoughts like that simply get dismissed. I don't think Riske is that much better than McClung -- Riske's WHIP this year is .2 less than McClung's. Riske has been better in prior years than McClung, but I don't think it makes sense to assume McClung would take over every single inning that Riske would've pitched. If McClung sees a little extra work, I'm fine with that.

The real issue is who replaces Riske on the 25 man should he go to the DL. That's far more important than McClung picking up an inning or two per week.

I've said it numerous times on this site that McClung is finally feeling healthy from his tommy john surgery a few years back, but thoughts like that simply get dismissed.

It probably gets dismissed because it's just blind speculation. He's had great velocity the last few years so it's certainly not obvious that he's "finally feeling healthy". Do you know McClung or something?

The fact remains that since McClung has been in the majors, he's walked too many batters and thasn't changed yet this year, either. I don't mean to suggest that he can't develop into a good reliever but right now, our best guess of future perfomance is probably more of the same.

Do you know McClung or something?

I've met him a few times when he was in Nashville. The only speculation would be if McClung just says this to say it or if it's true. I think more that he's feeling 100% has some mental aspect behind it too. That kind of surgery and rehab is real tough and I think it's hard to overcome the thought in the back of the mind that it could happen again. I do believe Sarfate struggled with some of that also (he didn't have as serious of surgery though).

I by no means think McClung is a great pitcher, but I do believe he could pan out and he's not anywhere close to a financial risk.

TH just mentioned on the D-List he thinks Dillard will get the call up. He can go a couple innings and apparently he's already on the 40-man roster.

Dillard's had dominating stretches. From what I gather, he seems to pitch very efficiently - there was a time a couple years back when he racked up a bunch of CGs in the minors. With the kinds of pitch counts that teams hold pitchers to there these days, I think it's a good sign.

Dillard's had dominating stretches. From what I gather, he seems to pitch very efficiently - there was a time a couple years back when he racked up a bunch of CGs in the minors. With the kinds of pitch counts that teams hold pitchers to there these days, I think it's a good sign.

He's played well so far this year in Nashville. The problem he had last year (and a problem I think many pitchers have had in the minors with the Brewers) is that he didn't have a defined role and was moved from starter to relief pitcher. He knows his role now and that's helped him. Dillard definitely has the character and the confidence to succeed in the bigs and he knows all the current young Brewers pretty well so he should fit in.

This could be another time that Steve Bray gets passed up.

Riske>>>>>>>McClung. There is no reason to put McClung anywhere near important innings. Stetter will likely get the innings.

And after todays game:

Stetter has 7H, 11BB, and 16K in 11.2 IP with a 3.09 ERA, and a 1.54WHIP

McClung has 14H, 12BB, and 20K in 17.1 IP with a 3.63 ERA and 1.50 WHIP

Funny how as the numbers get larger, McClung doesn't look as bad and Stetter doesn't look any better than McClung. If you're going to say that McClung walks too many guys, then what does that make Stetter who has one less walk in 5.2 less IP?

Verified Member

Yost said something like, Stetter has to throw strikes if he wants to stay in the major leagues. If that is an inaccurate paraphrase, I welcome correction. I was kind of shocked by his statement. He usually will let a player fail for a year or two.

And of course, McClung has already had important innings which were key to a couple victories. He also has had a significant change in mechanics.

Formerly AKA Pete

Archived