Brewer Fanatic

Torre Bush League?

Torre had the umpires check the ball to see if Mota was cheating if I'm not mistaken. What would give him reason to suspect this? Isn't that kind of Bush league just to try to get into the pitcher's head? Apparently it worked because Mota blew the game.

Joe Torre - Genius of all Geniuses.

gamesmanship. pure and simple. I didn't agree with it, but he certainly got into his head and broke his rhythm.

Still, no excuse. Our relievers need to be able to get through the ninth inning. Didn't Cleveland lead the AL in blown saves two years ago and it killed their young ballclub's playoff chances?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

An edge is an edge, I don't blame Torre one bit.

I was at a game a million years ago, when Earl Weaver was managing the Orioles; Reggie Cleveland was pitching for the Brewers, and apparently Weaver thought he was throwing spitballs. Weaver came out and put on a great show, arguing with the umpires for probably five minutes, before finally returning to his seat.

When the next pitch came in, everyone in the Orioles' dugout held a white towel up in front of themselves. It was hilarious, and it absolutely ended Cleveland, he got bombed the rest of the way.

the only thing that I worry about is Ned will try the same type of move when the Brewers visit Chavez Ravine in August and it will backfire big time.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

So a guy who has pitched poorly for the last 2 years and has put many runners on base all this year, but has been lucky they haven't scored has a bad game and it is Torre's fault?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

So a guy who has pitched poorly for the last 2 years and has put many runners on base all this year, but has been lucky they haven't scored has a bad game and it is Torre's fault?

I agree -- this stuff is overrated. Just like 'icing the kicker' in football.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

1) I highly doubt the reason Mota pitched poorly was because Torre had the ump check the ball.

2) If Mota was in fact "shaken" by it, he probably shouldn't be pitching for a living.

He essentially faced the bottom of the order (with Ethier pinch hitting). He should've got the job done, plain and simple.

the only thing that I worry about is Ned will try the same type of move when the Brewers visit Chavez Ravine in August and it will backfire big time.

It'll already backfired tonight...Ned gave it much more weight than he should've and REALLY broke Mota's "rhythm" or whatever by standing out there for a minute or so jawing.

Nothing bush league about it.

In response to the opening post of this thread, I believe you were mistaken. Torre had nothing to do with the incident. Joe West took the ball from Mota because he said Mota had extra tosses in the pen. At least that was what Mota said.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In response to the opening post of this thread, I believe you were mistaken. Torre had nothing to do with the incident. Joe West took the ball from Mota because he said Mota had extra tosses in the pen. At least that was what Mota said.

That's exactly what Ueck speculated on the broadcast.

West is one of those umpires that thinks fans come out to see him. He's not a bad umpire(no worse than most) but he likes to strut around as if he's "the man". If I were another umpire on his crew I'd resent it.

Wild Wild West...Joe West. Desperado. Rough rider - no, you don't want nada.

(My most embarrassing post ever)

If you read West's lips he said "I saw it, I saw it". This certainly means that Torre had nothing to do with anything, and that West saw him getting extra pitches in the bullpen. I think West is a great umpire, and I do not agree that he thinks fans come to see him. He is calm and composed in almost every situation. He does not go all theatre on his call and don't forget, he came up with the West Vest.

Yeah, I don't get what that 'he thinks he's the star' comment was all about. I mentioned to my gf at the time of Yost's tirade that probably at least 50% of MLB umps would've gotten very animated & run Ned there. West was cool, composed, and appeared to understand why Ned was pissed.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wild Wild West...Joe West. Desperado. Rough rider - no, you don't want nada.

(My most embarrassing post ever)

I'll be on record saying that I throughly, throughly enjoyed that post. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived