Brewer Fanatic

Who will DH for Interleague play this month?

Perhaps this topic is a bit premature, but in 2 weeks inter-league play will start in Boston. Who will be the DH, and who should be the DH this season? Will it just be Kapler/Dillon against lefties and Gwynn/Counsel against righties? This comment is not meant to start the Gwynn wars, but I'm not sure that Counsel/Gwynn are typical DH's. I would think that they might try to call up a lefty bat to DH. Could that be Nelson or Branyan? Also, I know it is highly unlikely, but any chance they pull either LaPorta or Gamel up from AA to DH?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nelson or Branyan would make sense, but I've got a feeling they're going to end up giving guys like Braun and Prince "half" days off by DHing them. As much as it would sicken me, I could see Ned DHing Braun and starting Kapler/Gwynn in left.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It wouldn't make sense to bring up either Nelson or Branyan. In Nelson's case, he'd be getting his first taste of major league pitching. I wouldn't want him doing that in the starting lineup against the Red Sox. As for Branyan, what do you do after the interleague games? You'd expose him to waivers to send him back down. Not that he'd be likely to be claimed but I think they are looking at him strictly as an extra bat for September.

The logical choice is Dillon vs. lefties. You could play him at first and DH Fielder once or twice too. Against righthanders, stick Gwynn in LF, DH Braun. Both scenarios, allow some rest for the guys who you don't want to take out of the lineup any day.

Nelson's first taste of major league pitching is still better than Gwynn. And its not like Nelson can't play the field.

EDIT: LaPorta isn't on the 40 man and it doesn't make sense to add him. Keeping him off the 40 man makes him easier to trade and hence increases his trade value.

Nelson's first taste of major league pitching is still better than Gwynn. And its not like Nelson can't play the field.

EDIT: LaPorta isn't on the 40 man and it doesn't make sense to add him. Keeping him off the 40 man makes him easier to trade and hence increases his trade value.

Your anti Tony Gwynn bias is showing endaround. What has Tony Gwynn done this year that causes you to make outrageous statements like this?

Your anti Tony Gwynn bias is showing endaround. What has Tony Gwynn done this year that causes you to make outrageous statements like this?

Nothing, that's the problem.

So now it's "bias" to argue that Brad Nelson would be a better DH option than Gwynn? As of this moment, in just under 250 MLB PAs, Gwynn has hit .269/.319/.324. Nelson, when healthy, has substantially outhit Gwynn at every minor league stop, and at this point he has had quite a lot of AAA experience. There's a reasonable argument that Gwynn has value as a defensive sub / pinch-runner, but he has established no value as a hitter. It's hard to believe Nelson could possibly be worse, and based on how he's hitting this year (albeit in a small sample), he could conceivably be pretty good. He's 25, young enough that he might actually help in a bench role going forward. I'd like to see him get a shot -- and I certainly don't think the Red Sox have some invincibility mojo that precludes his getting that shot against them.

Greg.

6 for 16, 2 for 2 SB, 3 runs scored, .450 OBP is nothing?

Not only that, he was 7 for 13 at Nashville, so for the year he's got 29 AB's and 13 hits and since I know walks are so important, he's also walked 4 times.

As for Branyan, get real. No major league team even offered him a spring training invite this year. Wow, a 32 year old is hitting well for 80 AB's at AAA. Whop de do. He's still fanned 25 times in 80 AB's against mostly has beens and unproven prospects. Last September for St. Louis (as they fell out of the race), he was a whopping 6 for 32 (.188), with 1 HR, and 2 RBI and 15 K's. You could DH Mike Rivera and get better production than that.

Last year, Prince DHed 4 times, Gross 3, and Estrada 2.

I'd assume Dillon would start at 1st and Prince would DH for some of the games. Kapler may DH and not sub for anyone, or Counsell will get one of his 2 starts a week in while Hall, Weeks or Hardy DH.

Archived