Brewer Fanatic

Mark A. Says he can spend on a top notch pitcher

Forget the young pre arby studs. No team will trade those guys.

Also, forget the guys who have $25 million plus remaining on multi year deals. If they were good enough to help the Brewers, their teams would not part with them. If they are struggling like a Zito or a Buehrle, they aren't going to help.

Forget any guy on a contending team. That eliminates a ton of guys. The Indians aren't going to part with Sabathia.

That leaves you with guys like Maddux, Jarrod Washburn and a handful of other names. A few teams will drop out of races by July that have guys that could be had. Lowe in LA is one (FA after this season). Contreras in Chicago is another. But LA is still likely to be in wild card contention and nobody is running away with AL Central at this point.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to spend money to keep Sheets and spend money on a rental pitcher for this season in veteran Greg Maddux.

That's my hope as well. I'd really like to see sheets stay a brewer for a few more years, and add a wily old vet like Maddog.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

"Even teams that have really fallen, I don't think anyone is willing to concede the season is over," Attanasio said. "And Doug has to be careful when he makes those phone calls. He doesn't want to call guys and have them bristle as if he says, 'Oh, it looks like your season is over.'"
This is the point that some people couldn't understand when they were calling for a trade right away. It will take awhile for teams to decide whether they're out of the race, and the Brewers could be out of it themselves by that time.

Glad to hear they're talking extension with Hart.

Unless you pay for someone who pitches a complete game every time out, what does it matter who they sign? I realized the starters haven't been great, but Bush, Villa, and Parra have each pitched well in the last week. It's the bullpen that's the issue, and they tried to fix that by throwing money at it in the off season. JohnBriggs12 post above is right on, and if the players we already have start pitching to potential is there any reason to go after names like those? I'm conflicted because I'm happy to see the Brewers willing to spend, but this is the same management that gave Gagne $10 million.
You may run like Mays...

Somebody mentioned Tim Hudson. As a Hudson fantasy owner, let me say that I wholeheartedly approve of this idea.

He's owed $13 million in 2008 and 2009 (comparable to Sheets' value) and there's a $12 mil option for 2010 with a buyout of $1 mil.

Let's hope Atlanta tanks.

I'd love to spend money to keep Sheets and spend money on a rental pitcher for this season in veteran Greg Maddux.

I would skip paying Brittle Ben and go out and get a new top end guy for the staff that can go with Yo.

Ok, this is my first ever trade idea/suggestion and maybe it belongs in the rumor section but I think it fits this thread. I really don't have anytime to do any research on it so if it is dumb and makes no sense please be gentle but what about Roy Halladay. Toronto looks to be going nowhere fast again (currently in last place despite a 3 game winning streak) their major league outfield is old and bad ( I have no idea what they have in the minors but forgive me I work 90+ hours a week and just don't have the time to look it up). The outfield is strength of the Brewers, just wondering if you threw together a Parra, Gwynn Jr and Jeffress trade together (I know I am dreaming here and they would probably want Laporta but this is a nice place to start). Like I said I don't have time to research a lot of stuff but it on the surface seems logical. Oh I also think that Halladay is signed for 10 million a year thru 2010 so he could step into Sheets place once he is gone. Ok now everybody be gentle with the ripping apart of this idea

The Giants won't be competitve during Lincecum's current contract, so they may as well get several major-league-ready prospects and get younger while Lincecum is still healthy.

Lincecum is in his second year so if we trade major league ready players he'd have three to four years with those players. The other factor that connot be overlooked is the giants are not small market. They don't have a six year clock to work with for top notch players like the Brewers do. Licecum has a better chance of being locked up by the Giants long term than he does of being traded before his arby years are up.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I am a little worried about this. Considering what he gave to acquire Scott Linebrink, I'd be concerned about what he'd give up to acquire a #1 or #2. You know any conversation with start with Gamel or Laporta, and would include Jeffress. I guess I'd wait to see what our draft looks like before I completely rule it out, but I agree, I would rather just sign Ben Sheets in the offseason for $15 million a year than to trade two prospects for a guy who pitches 2 months in Milwaukee. It would nice to see Sheets and Gallardo, healthy, in the same rotation.

Might as trade away one of the two since it appears that there would be no place to play the two at the same time. I think LaPorta fits better being an corner OF.

I would skip paying Brittle Ben and go out and get a new top end guy for the staff that can go with Yo.

Why aren't you calling him Can't Go Gallardo yet?

It is only one injury not the numerous ones Sheets has had

Both of Gallardo's injuries have a ton more to do with the body parts important to pitching than all but one or two of Sheets's injuries.

I'm much more concerned about torn ligaments (let's not forget this is both knees now) than an inner ear infection or a back muscle.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When the ACL is torn, there's no more pain. Not even Caplinger, a medical professional, could tell it was torn. Not sure what your point about Sheets is -- that he won't jeopardize his career by pitching through an injury?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When the ACL is torn, there's no more pain. Not even Caplinger, a medical professional, could tell it was torn. Not sure what your point about Sheets is -- that he won't jeopardize his career by pitching through an injury?

Ya, a guy on my softball team continued to play softball up until his surgery date. Not sure that's recommended, but it can be done.

LET"S GET YU!

it is simple, we let sheets walk, take the compensation, and then we go out and pay $60 MM to talk to Yu Darvish...We then Pay Him Over $100 MM, but we must get to him before Cashman or Epstein does...

The attraction that Milwaukee would get from Japanese Media would be awesome, and this would benefit the Brewers rather well. Mark would dig for him, and he would be 100% worth it, some call him the best pitcher in the world, and he is only 21...I've heard some say that once he fills out his frame, he could top 100 MPH...

Obviously, this will never happen, but heck, if he says he is going to open his wallet, I want Yu...All of that being said, Yu probably isn't coming over for a couple of years, I will just cry if he goes to Chicago...
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/images/photos2007/sb20070318wga.jpg

Archived