Brewer Fanatic

The Zen of Bobby V

Did anyone happen to catch this documentary? It is a 2hr docmentary that follow Bobby through a season with Chiba Lotte in 2007 done by 3 NYU students. Despite the fact that it was on ESPN there was nothing ESPN about it. It was good. I believe it did well at the Tribeca film festival.

It was really a great insight into the man and to Japanese baseball as a whole. They also had significant time on Yu Darvish the pitcher for Sapporo that will be the next big thing in a few years. He is 20, i think, and already much much better than Matzusaka. Anyways...Im sure it will be on a continious loop with in-game updates to instruct you to watch...but I would definetly reccomend it.

Yeah, I caught portions of this. I thought the fan atmosphere was really amazing and it was cool to see how well Bobby V has adjusted to Japan. I really enjoyed the passion that the players had and I wonder if the Pacific Coast League championship game between Bobby V's young ace and Yo Darish will be seen as a rematch in a mlb game. Overall, I would highly reccomend watching this.

Dont know much about Naruse, the ace for Bobbys team, but Darvish is the real deal. He has said he is not interested in America but I think the money will speak to him. Although, he is half Iranian and the lack of interest in the US could be genuine. That being said he is still 5-7yrs away from free agency. Unless, of course, Sapporo would post him.

Replacing Yost? Bobby has a great passion for the game and is a real asset to NPB. However, if he were to leave Japan I would love to have him in Milwaukee. Although, I cant really imagine how Milwaukee could improve upon the situation he has now.

Community Moderator

I would love Bobby V. in our dugout, but so would almost every other team. I'm sure ESPN would like him back as well. However, I would expect him to remain our of the spotlight in Japan for now...you might say he's "incognito"...

http://www.mysticgames.com/famouspeople/pictures/BobbyValentine.jpg

I saw the ESPN piece about Darvish in which Valentine had a few quotes.

My impression was he's not coming back. At least anytime soon. Seems very passionate about his job there and resentful of how MLB is drying up the talent pool in Asia. I'd be shocked if he could be lured to coach the Brewers.

Archived