Brewer Fanatic

4/10/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Marlins (Vanden Hurk): 6:05 PM CT

wOOgiE22

Are ground outs better or something?

Yes. I'll take a ball hit on the ground any day over a pop up to the 2nd baseman when the infield fly rule is in effect. How many times have the Brewers done this now this year? 3? 4 times? Even when the infield fly rule isn't in effect, I'd rather make them make a throw and have a chance of advancing the runner over instead of an overaggressive slap at a pitch out of the zone that gets popped up. Assuming of course they stay out of the double play.

The point is, the team is making weak outs when we have runners on base. This seemed to be a problem last year, I hope it doesn't become a trend this year as well.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is, the team is making weak outs when we have runners on base. This seemed to be a problem last year, I hope it doesn't become a trend this year as well.

I noticed this as well. It better stop soon and not become a trend or its going to be just another not so stellar season in Milwaukee.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Assuming of course they stay out of the double play.

Making those kind of assumptions, I guess I would prefer it as well then. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

An out is an out is an out, expect an out that makes an additional out (double play). The Brewers batted .258 as a team last year. They batted .258 with runners on and .263 with runners in scoring position. Despite having the third worst overall BA, the Brewers led the league with a .283 BA in "close and late" situations.

It seems like unless the Brewers bat 1.000 with runners on base, fans will remember all those wasted opportunities. Maybe it has nothing to do with not hitting with runners on but rather just having a better overall offense?

By looking at these stats of AB's on a 0-0 count, it shows that a few players on this team are not very patient. And especially on two of the top three their batting averages are not very good.

Player 0-0 AB PCT Bill Hall 6 24 .250 Kevin Mench 5 17 .294 Rickie Weeks 4 28 .143 Johnny Estrada 4 23 .174 Prince Fielder 3 30 .100 Corey Hart 3 17 .176 Craig Counsell 2 20 .100 JJ Hardy 2 24 .083 Geoff Jenkins 2 20 .100 Tony Graffanino 0 8 .000 Gabe Gross 0 3 .000 Tony Gwynn 0 7 .000 Damian Miller 0 4 .000 

Quote:
It seems like unless the Brewers bat 1.000 with runners on base, fans will remember all those wasted opportunities. Maybe it has nothing to do with not hitting with runners on but rather just having a better overall offense?
I think you're on to something with fan perception.

I think it has a lot to do with the outcome of a game. After a win in which the team strands 10 runners, who cares? But if they strand 5 in a loss, ooooooh doggie. Those 5 potential runs really sting.

I just don't think this team has hit it's stride yet and gotten into a groove on offense (that's probably obvious, just look at the individual stats, besides solo HRs), and once they do, I think they will be a decent team.....but right now, they're just not. When individuals are struggling, things like moving runners over have to be a premium, and while we're at it, avoiding bad baserunning is key as well. Right now, the team doesn't seem to be doing those little things that are needed to squeek out a couple wins, even when they're struggling.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it just me, or have the strike zones been really odd the last game or two?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived