Brewer Fanatic

The Owen Murphy Thread

ESPNOwen
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all these questions floating through my head, but I can hear the watered-down answer to all of them.

How about this...What do the Brewers have to show for you to be ready to pull the trigger on a trade for a top starter?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I think that the funniest part of the whole Manny thing on Wednesday was the shot of him and a couple other guys in the dugout watching the replay on a nearby TV camera and busting out laughing. Usually I'm uptight about maintaining certain aspects of integrity in the game, but for some reason Manny just makes me smile. Maybe it's because I know that, deep down, he's just a nutcase on his own planet.

I completely agree about Manny. He may act strange from time to time, and the all-too-often used "Manny Being Manny" phrase is still ringing in my ear from Wednesday, but that entire episode was just fantastic to me. Manny almost always plays the game the right way and he has fun doing it. Like Russ said, he is a lot like baseball's Brett Favre.

I just got done listening to the Melvin and Olney interviews, and there was a lot of good stuff in there. Just a few thoughts:

I normally don't care to find Brewer news from ESPN, but I find Buster Olney to be a knowledgeable guy about all teams, including the small and mid-markets. I guess that's why he's doesn't get much TV air time http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, his comments about Prince seemed to be the realistic side that I think a lot of people here see. As long as Boras is his agent, Prince is likely gone. And with a few bats in the minors but no pitching, Prince is the perfect guy to send to an AL team for 2 or 3 pitching prospects (no outfielders, please). I saw in Owen's off-topic thread that Kershaw was mentioned, but I don't see an NL team giving up as much for Fielder since they'll have the same fears as we do about his future as a position player. It kinda hurts to even be saying this stuff since I've been following Fielder and waiting for him since he was drafted, and he's always been one of my favorites. But he either needs to ditch Boras or become a gold glove 1st baseman before I would give him $15-20 mil.

The nice thing about this Braun deal, and Attanasio's comments about paying for top pitching, is the fact that we can now look at the Prince thing and there's a chance to either sign him or deal him. A few years ago, it didn't seem like we had that choice. I liked how Melvin credited the fans with this turnaround, but also acknowledged the difference with Attanasio paying the bills. I even caught a glimpse of his annoyance with the TV deal we have going. It's just nice every once in awhile to hear that Doug is on the same page as us, even if he can't say it in the same words as us. That's right Doug, we sometimes think like you! We're not just internet geeks that get off on this stuff! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I remember reading threads a couple years back that said we would never go over $85 million in payroll. Now it seems like Mark will push past $100 million and not even break a sweat. Anyone else just a little bit excited about this?

~Nottso

Any questions you'd like us to ask Doug Melvin?

Maybe next time you should ask him this:

"In the history of MLB, has a GM ever fired a manager and then honorably resigned in the same day?"

That is actually a fair question...if asked in a different way. There's almost no arguing that GM's play a much more significant role in the success of your team than managers do. Heck, science has proven this, and we all know science is never wrong.

I remember reading threads a couple years back that said we would never go over $85 million in payroll. Now it seems like Mark will push past $100 million and not even break a sweat. Anyone else just a little bit excited about this?

As long as they are smart about how they spend that money, then and only then am I cool with it. But if it turns into George Steinbrenner on a coke binge, well then count me out.

Point taken, but to this point I'm not at all frustrated with how the money is spent. Doug took a risk on Gagne, and he's off the books after this year. He took a risk on Cameron, and if he goes on a tear, he has an option. If not, then also off the books after this year. The Braun deal was great. It just seems like Doug is very conscious about keeping spending flexibility for the future, while paying enough to get some guys in here for a year of two that we normally wouldn't go after. Now if only we could get that manager off the payroll...

~Nottso

Topics today:

Mostly Ryan Braun and his comments to the media...

* Why did he feel the need to talk? Isn't this his manager, Ned Yost's job? Of course it is, so does this mean that he doesn't like how Yost is handling things both publicly and privately? Desperate times call for desperate measures?

* Will his teammates react positively or negatively? Will there be a backlash? Am I being redundant? No, but I'm definitely being repetitive.

* How will Attanasio react? It seems like Braun is sending an emergency flare into the stratosphere.

* Do you think Braun realizes that his comments could be the toothpick that breaks the camels back?

Send us an e-mail with your thoughts: hellerandmurphy@1070mail.com

NBA Playoffs:

Doesn't it seem like opponents are too cozy with each other?

* Why did he feel the need to talk? Isn't this his manager, Ned Yost's job?
At some point, when we're more than 1/4 of the way through the season and the manager keeps saying all is well, someone needs to step up and say something. I very much appreciated that Braun didn't name names of either players or coaches that he was referring to, but he got his point across nonetheless, and I'm anticipating a positive result from it.

* How will Attanasio react? It seems like Braun is sending an emergency flare into the stratosphere.
I agree. Braun is clearly saying that something needs to be done, even if that something is just a general change of attitude. And who better to say it that one of the only guys producing? Attanasio and Melvin respected Braun enough to give him this new contract, so I imagine they respect him enough to see him as the collective voice of the team.

Also - isn't the "Ned Yost to be fired" blog essentially the same thing as the Boston Herald saying the Patriots taped the Rams run through?
I hate to say it since you're an ESPN guy, but Deadspin already beat you to it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Nottso

My new, stupid Brewers line up idea:

1 - Corey Hart: Gets on base more than Weeks and can knock Kendall in more.

2 - Ryan Braun: Gets more at bats per season and can also knock Kendall and Hart in.

3 - Prince Fielder: More at bats, etc.

4 - Mike Cameron: Not ideal, but he generally has around 65-70 extra base hits per year

5 - Bill Hall...platoon with Branyan?: Ugh, what a hole of awfulness...

6 - JJ Hardy: See ball, miss ball.

7 - Rickie Weeks: He walks a lot...and probably won't see a lot of decent pitches.

8 - Underperforming pitcher: Will he be better than Weeks?

9 - Jason Kendall: Maybe he'll score more runs hitting in front of Hart and Braun.

I called in today, Owen, but I didn't identify myself as a bf.net guy, because you were up against the 5 o'clock hour, so I figured I'd get cut off...which I did.

I think Prince has a money issue, not a veggie issue, and I think they will trade him, but not until after 2009.

I called in today, Owen, but I didn't identify myself as a bf.net guy, because you were up against the 5 o'clock hour, so I figured I'd get cut off...which I did.

I think Prince has a money issue, not a veggie issue, and I think they will trade him, but not until after 2009.

Oh, I totally knew it was one of you dorks.

If you've never heard Owen's show, imagine Ray Romano's voice coming through your radio.

I hate you.

But it's true.

Even my wife thinks I sound like Ray Ramano. I look like Bob Mould and sound like Ray Ramano.

Actually I don't think you sound like Ray Romano at all. I was thinking you sound more like Manfred the wooly mammath. For now on I'm referring to you as Manfred.

Archived