Brewer Fanatic

The Owen Murphy Thread

ESPNOwen
I agree the closer role is completely overblown. One reason for this is because of the invention of the "save" as a statistic. Closers know they will get paid more if they rack up saves, because lets face it, nobody talks about how many "holds" a reliever has.

the most ridiculous thing of all is when a team starts out the 9th with a 4 run lead and the reliever starts blowing the game. then a manager might bring in another guy who is completely effective and gets 2 outs but allows it to turn into a save situation (maybe a walk or a sacrifice). Then the closer gets up, warms up, and completes his 1 pitch save.

I just hate the whole closing thing. I think you should have 2-3 guys you want near the end of the game, and you use those guys in the proper situations.

I agree with this 100%. Maybe we should have stuck with the closer by committee thing, then maybe Ned would have used Gagne in the most critical situations, even if that situation occurs in...gasp...the 8th inning!

Also, am I the only one reading Owen's posts in my head in his radio voice?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you're talking about the booing here, I have a theory about why there was not much booing at the game last night.

There was what, 26k at the park last night and it holds about 44k?

Those 18k drunk "fans" who are normally at Friday and Saturday games booing at almost everything, were obviously not there last night.

And since I was, it was a nice break from the drunks, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I've never heard Owen, so I'm not hearing his voice, but the posts are good. I think the Gagne idea makes sense - that he has to succeed so you have to play him. That said, do you have to play him the night after he pitches 2 innings? He hadn't pitched 2 innings in about 4 years, and he was struggling in the 2nd of those two innings. It's true Gagne was coming in to face the bottom of the order, but how many times have we heard BA say something like "the heart of the order won't hit this inning unless Gagne lets a couple get on," only to see "The Big Bat" on deck or hitting before long. So, the worst part is that not only is Gagne facing those guys, he's facing them with runners on after throwing who knows how many pitches. It worked last night (and I'm certainly not one of those who pulls for losses so change will happen, so I'm happy about it), but I still think it didn't make a lot of sense.
You may run like Mays...

Since you're talking about the booing here, I have a theory about why there was not much booing at the game last night.

There was what, 26k at the park last night and it holds about 44k?

Those 18k drunk "fans" who are normally at Friday and Saturday games booing at almost everything, were obviously not there last night.

Exactly. Casual baseball fans in Milwaukee often boo. (They are often drunk at the time and prone to make a scene)

Miller Park is better with 30,000 fans during the week who know what is going on that 45,000 on a Friday night who are half drunk.

Miller Park is better with 30,000 fans during the week who know what is going on that 45,000 on a Friday night who are half drunk.

Or 27,500 fans that are fully drunk. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If you've never heard Owen's show, imagine Ray Romano's voice coming through your radio.

I hate you.

But it's true.

Even my wife thinks I sound like Ray Ramano. I look like Bob Mould and sound like Ray Ramano.

I think Yost HAD to let Gagne close, simply because this team is toast if Gagne doesn't succeed in that role.

Why on Earth would a Brewer fan EVER boo Gagne?

At first I was somewhat disappointed that I missed the opportunity to lay it on in the previous thread but now I'm glad I didn't. I agree with pretty much everything here. Gagne is going to be given every chance to be this team's closer. The better he does the better off the team is. And booing serves absolutely no purpose. Players don't need booing fans to help them realize they need to do better, and I doubt that managers factor in the magnitude of the booing while they're making decisions.

Not sure who said it earlier, but I think it has a lot to do with fans booing when they think they should boo. A lot of these people haven't been following the team for more than 2 years, and they want success right away so they can get back to not paying attention. They boo at former players because someone gave them the idea that it was necessary, and they never learned any better. That's why there were a few people still booing Geoff Jenkins even though he worked hard and gave his entire career to this point to the Crew. Then again, I disagree with booing Carlos Lee or Coco, so I'm probably not the best person to answer.

I think booing should be banned except in extreme cases like Splitter mentioned, or for Gary Sheffield.

The better he does the better off the team is.
Which could also be said about every player on the team. What's your point?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Booing at former players for no reason is stupid.

The only argument for booing that makes sense to me is if you feel like as fans, you are the congress and the manager is the president. So you boo decisions, NOT the players. Support the players.

jazzytrav wrote:

I think booing should be banned except in extreme cases like Splitter mentioned, or for Gary Sheffield.

I would add boing the Cubs when they are in town, but that has more to do with drowning out the cheers of Cubs fans more than booing the Cubs themselves. I don't want the Cubs to feel at home in Miller Park.

I am not sure what value Gagne would have to this team if he is not the closer. I would prefer a closer by committee where you have 2-3 good multi-inning guys coming in during the middle innings and staying in until they have to bat or the end of the game. I am not sure where a one inning guy would fit in unless you need a reliever and the pitcher's spot is due up the next half inning. I guess Gagne as the closer isn't something I am going to get to upset about since almost every team designates a closer and that guy pitches the 9th inning with a 3 or fewer run lead. I am just glad that it doesn't appear that Gagne is our best reliever and he is our closer. That leaves better pitchers to pitch more importnat innings.

BTW, I am glad to see Owen actually took the time to come see what BF.net was about after picking on our pencil protectors. Instead of just insulting and dismissing like I am sure many would. I am even more impressed that you took the time to look elsewhere and post in other places instead of just the thread directed at you.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Any chance we could change the title and make this a thread devoted to questions and ideas Owen wants to bounce off us for his show? Just a thought, and of course only if mods and Owen approve.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Hey, I didn't approve. Damn you and damn the intraweb! Here's a bunch of zeros and ones you can stick up your (edited due to vulgarity). 101010101010101010101010

BTW-I have no idea what those zeroes and ones mean.

Topics today:

1) Ryan Braun deal, obviously. Seems like the risk reward ratio is solid for the Brewers. Does this put pressure on Prince? Can the Brewers afford to sign both? Would you rather they put money into free agent pitchers? These are my initial thoughts...

2) Will the Cubs go into the tank once they play as many road games as the Brewers have? Again, this is just an initial thought w/out research.

3) National topic: Manny being Manny - makes a great catch, runs a few steps, high fives fans in the leftfield bleachers, turns and throws to cut off to double up opponent. At this point, can you really be critical of him? He is who he is...and the play AND his reaction are hilarious. Plus I love his enthusiasm for the game. To me, Aubrey Huff deserves to be VERBALLY DESTROYED for getting doubled up...the ball takes 4-evuh to get back in.

Click here to watch Manny being Manny

I was at last night's game in Sec 231. So near the bleachers but still seperated, a few groups around me were booing a lot. They booed non-strike calls (like they could tell from that distance), they booed Braun's diving catch attempt, they booed Mota, and they were calling for Yost's head, mainly because Gagne should have been pitching and because everything is his fault according to them.

So still some "social experience" Brewer fans make it during the week.

Stay on topic(s) Stoops, or I turn this thread around and WE GO HOME.

Topics today:

1) Ryan Braun deal, obviously. Seems like the risk reward ratio is solid for the Brewers. Does this put pressure on Prince? Can the Brewers afford to sign both? Would you rather they put money into free agent pitchers? These are my initial thoughts...

2) Will the Cubs go into the tank once they play as many road games as the Brewers have? Again, this is just an initial thought w/out research.

3) National topic: Manny being Manny - makes a great catch, runs a few steps, high fives fans in the leftfield bleachers, turns and throws to cut off to double up opponent. At this point, can you really be critical of him? He is who he is...and the play AND his reaction are hilarious. Plus I love his enthusiasm for the game. To me, Aubrey Huff deserves to be VERBALLY DESTROYED for getting doubled up...the ball takes 4-evuh to get back in.

Topics today:

1. I so happy for the Braun signing its hard to put into words. I wouldn't mind getting Fielder locked up but with LaPorta lurking I might use that $$ for pitching.

2. Once the Cubs start playing outside of the friendly confines they will struggle a bit. They seem to play every game at home like USC football.

3. I love Man-Ram. Dude is a great player a little goofy and has a great time playing the game.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think the Braun deal is just awesome. This is the best player on the team, already, and he's nowhere near his prime yet. In the Braun thread, I ran down the contract Houston gave Carlos Lee, Carlos is a 30 homer, 100-105 RBI guy, who can't play defense - he's getting nearly 17 million a year through age 36. How does that look compared to what Braun will get in this deal?

The Cubs have had gotten some early breaks, with a ton of home games, and a lot of weak opponents, but they've also had to play through an injury to Soriano, the disappearance of Rich Hill, and the temporary disappearance of Ted Lilly. That isn't a great team, but is a very good one, I think they win the division.

Manny - there's no point in yelling at him anymore, he just is what he is. I think a fun question might be, if Manny hadn't had the freakish baseball hitting ability, what would he have done for a living?

Topics today:

1) Depends who is available. Do we go after Sabathia in the off season? I doubt we would be able to sign him even if we had the money to do so. It doesn't look like Sabathia would come to Milwaukee he will probably sign with the Angels, Dodgers, or the Yankees. Sabathia would be the #1 option for Hank to go after since they missed on Santana. If the Yankees don't get Sabathia look for Hank to explode especially if he goes to Boston or the Mets. The only other two pitchers who are free agents in this upcoming off season that are deserving of a big contract IMHO are Ben Sheets and Brad Penny. I would take Sheets over Penny. Let someone else over pay for Penny. Other than Sheets and Penny you have Francisco Rodriguez but I doubt the Angels will just let him walk away.

2) Of course the Cubs will go into the tank once they start playing some more road games. The Cubs are currently 8-9 on the road. Their road series losses have come to teams of the Phillies, Reds, and Washington. The Cubs are also 2-4 against the Brewers and that is with all the games being played at Wrigley. Edmonds will also help the Cubs lose some games on the road he is not a good pick up at all.

3) I love Manny but he does get on my nerves from time to time. I am getting sick of the Manny being Manny phrase though.

1 - The Braun deal brightens what's been a tough first 7 weeks. I think the writing is on the wall for Fielder, he'll be playing somewhere else before Braun.

2 - I think the Cubs are the team to beat, they may struggle on the road but not as much as the other NL Central teams will. I hope I'm wrong, I hate them so much!

3 - I'm a big fan of Manny. He's got the slacker reputation, but who do you want hitting in an important game, him or A-Rod? Has fun and plays great, what else do you want?

You may run like Mays...

I think a fun question might be, if Manny hadn't had the freakish baseball hitting ability, what would he have done for a living?

Now THAT is a funny idea! How do you say, "would you like fries with that?" in Spanish?

Archived