Brewer Fanatic

Simpsons vs Family Guy

Menotti80

Who do you like in these matchups, and which one is the funnier show?

Peter Griffin vs Homer Simpson- very close call, but the edge has to go to Peter.

Lois Griffin vs Marge Simpson- big advantage to Lois

Lisa Simpson vs Meg Griffin- slight advantage to Lisa, but Meg as a punchline makes a case for her

Bart Simpson vs Chris Griffin- big advtantage to Bart

Stewie vs Maggie- huge advantage to Stewie

Brian vs Snowball/Santas little helper/Itchy and Scratchy- big advantage to Brian

Extended Family- (francis griffin/the pewterschmidts vs homer's dad/marge's sisters)

it comes down to grandpa simpson vs mr pewterschmidt, and "Grampa" gives The Simpsons the edge

Other regular characters- (Swansons/Quagmire/Cleveland/Goldmans/Channel 5 news crew/Adam West vs Flanders/Burns/Smithers/Krusty/Barney/Moe/Nelson/Milhouse/Seymour/Wiggums - advantage for me: family guy

other characters- huge advantage: Simpsons

Tallying up the scores as if it were a boxing match, for me it would be Family Guy (84) beating out The Simpsons (82)

From there, its a matter of good story lines with humor mixed in vs no real story lines with random quick shots of shock humor, often times through flashbacks. For me, both are good in their own right, but I will still lean towards the Family Guy

What do you think???

Peter vs Homer: Push

Lois vs Marge: Big advantage Lois

Lisa vs Meg: Advantage Meg (I can't stand Lisa)

Bart vs Chris: Advantage Bart

Stewie vs Maggie: Big advantage Stewie

Brian vs Snowball/Santa's Little Helper: Advantage Brian

Extended Family: Slight advantage Simpsons

Other characters: Simpsons

Storylines easily go to the Simpsons. Family Guy gets too far off track from the story and that chicken fighting with Peter annoys the hell out of me.

I was a huge Simpsons fan through the 90's and could quote almost every episode but lately the show seems to have lost its luster and is rarely funny anymore. I don't know if it has just run out of material or if it has just become too tame in comparison to shows like the Family Guy and South Park. I loved Family Guy from the beginning as well and get a lot more laughs from that show now than the Simpsons.

South Park has risen the bar in the recent years to what I think may be one of the best written shows on TV. The satire level is off the charts with both plot and timeliness of the episodes. It is not just a gross out show about vulgar kids but a pretty good social commentary with laughs built in. Simpsons almost comes across as preachy now and kinda lame. Family Guy is still what it always has been, a ridiculous story line and a bunch of vignette gag jokes that may or may not have anything to do with the plot, but it still makes me laugh.

Peter

Lois

Meg - I am in the Lisa is annoying camp and really don't the Lisa centric episodes

Bart

Stewie

Brian

Advantage to the Simpsons on other characters based onthe sheer number of other characters we have gotten to know, gotta love Moe, Mayor Quimby, Duffman, Comic Store guy, and Mr. Burns, and on an on but I have to give mention to Adam West as the Quohog Mayor as great.

Peter v. Homer--has to be Homer. the tradition of Homer Simpson helps, too.

Lois v. Marge--clearly Lois, plus Marge has gotten annoying.

Lisa v. Meg--Lisa's schtick has gotten tired, but Meg really has no character unless uber-ordinary counts.

Bart v. Chris--don't really like either character, but i guess Bart wins.

Stewie v. Maggie--obvious, but then Maggie has never been the focus like Stewie is.

Brian v. Simpsons pets--again, the simpson pets are more than minor characters.

Extended Family--the cliche-ness of the Simpsons side-characters still gets laughs.

Infrequent appearances--edge Family Guy because they push the racial stereotypes for jokes, which can be funny.

the chicken fighting with Peter is awesome. but yeah the Simpsons have more-developed stories, however lame they've become.

I really cannot stand the Simpsons anymore. I used to watch them all the time but it got old after the first 10 or so years. Now I absolutely cannot stand to watch it. Family Guy is funny at times but whenever I watch it, I think of the South Park episode where they say it was written by manatees. Family Guy is basically a loose storyline with random, sometimes stupid clips. However, Stewie definitely makes the show. Family Guy wins but South Park destroys both.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

and that chicken fighting with Peter annoys the hell out of me
You can't possibly be serious, can you? Wow, wow, wow, wow, just wow, wow, wow, I know, I know, wow, wow, wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow.

Easily the best thing that ever happens in Family guy, next to Kool Aid guy showing up. I especially loved the flashback (was it back to the future esque?) where they set up the chicken/Peter thing with the chicken's girlfriend saying "just let it go, you'll probably never see him again".

Wow.

You can't possibly be serious, can you? Wow, wow, wow, wow, just wow, wow, wow, I know, I know, wow, wow, wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow.

I'm very serious. There is no point to that part, it's just used as time filler because MacFarlane isn't creative enough to think of anything to fill the two minutes that the fight takes.

He should use some more of the jokes that he uses in Family Guy. That's my kind of humor and he used more of them then Family Guy would be the landslide winner over the Simpsons for me. Until he cuts out all the garbage that has nothing to do with the plot line then that show is not going to reach its peak, at least with me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I"d be interested to see how the age of the poster compares to answers in this thread.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

IMO, The Simpsons during their heyday were better than Family Guy has ever been. Family Guy has taken place for the most part during the long, slow decline of Matt Groening's family and has been the better show during that time. Family Guy has also taken a turn for the worse in recent years... there have been more esoteric jokes and abstract attempts at comedy in the past couple seasons that haven't really worked.

I do like the Peter vs. Chicken fights.

Yeah, that chicken/Peter thing is quite annoying. I don't need to watch Peter fighting a chicken for 5 minutes. Once they are done, you forget where the story was. In my opinion, not much beats seasons 3-10 of the Simpsons. I also like the first 3 seasons of Family Guy. Being a fan of both, I still say the Simpsons beats Family Guy for me.

I was just saying that this season of the Simpsons has been consistently better than the last several. I agree that it isn't what it once was, but this season has been funny. I think the movie was good and they got some energy from it. For example, this last Sunday's episode had multiple laugh out loud moments. Homer with the chain and cinder block, Homer's response to Lisa's correcting him. Family Guy is just boring and confusing, I've never made it through 5 minutes of that show because it never seems like there is any story to follow. I also think of the shots that South Park took at Family Guy when I see it, and whenever I watch South Park I think of the "Simpson's Did It" episode of South Park.
You may run like Mays...

I can't go character-to-character, since I don't know if it's fair or not. I guess I'd just grade them overall.

Family Guy -- B

Simpsons -- A

Both grades factor in the entirety of each show, and there was actually a lot more thought put into it than the plain letter grades might suggest. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I love Family Guy, but sign me up for the club that thinks the chicken fighting scenes are some of the biggest waste of TV airtimes ever. Same with any scene like where Peter stubs his toe on the sidewalk and holds it and says "ow" for like 35 seconds straight.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Futurama is better than both. Really doesn't get the credit that it deserves because the first few episodes weren't that good, but there are also a few episodes that just blow any other cartoon out of the water.

I'd have to say that right now, Family Guy is better. But, the first 7 seasons of the Simpsons were genius.

The fighting chicken and the monkey are stupid. I think they just use them as filler when the show needs it.

I also think that Family Guy needs to show more of Peter's friends. They all make me laugh.

1. Family Guy

2. Hank Hill

3. Simpsons

4. Futurama

5. American Dad

6. South Park- South Park is as annoying and over the top as it gets.

i read somewhere there was some thought to making a Cleveland spinoff.

Peter holding his knee for 35 seconds is great. not so much the joke itself, but that and a few other times that the show would be willing to hold a single joke for what is an incredible length of time. You still working on that novel? huh? character development? some obstacle to overcome? huh? are ya?....

it's the oddest thing that the Simpsons has become a cliche of itself. and since the characters are already cliches, that's cliche-cubed. none of the characters have really developed deeper personalities but keep making the jokes they've always made because it still gets ratings. i think the show stinks not entirely because it's gotten worse, just because i'm tired of seeing the same thing. i have the feeling i'll be saying the same thing about Family Guy in another 6 years, too.

i'm still waiting for the episode when they finally decide Brian has gotten too old and they "take him to a nice Amish family in the country."

Futurama is better than both. Really doesn't get the credit that it deserves because the first few episodes weren't that good, but there are also a few episodes that just blow any other cartoon out of the water.

that scene with the horse racing and they go to measure the result and the professor says "no! you'll change the result by measuring it!" that was one of the funniest jokes ever.

i've recently found South Park episodes online, and my opinion of that cartoon has been growing and growing.

The Simpsons has been faltering for some time now, but was incredible in its heyday. Family Guy, IMO, has similarly faltered, and had a shorter peak, which was also quite good. I'll judge these historically, with greater weight placed on the peak years.

Peter Griffin vs Homer Simpson- Homer mops the floor with Peter. He set the mold for the modern-day animated drunken idiot dad.

Lois Griffin vs Marge Simpson- close to a push for me, I'll go with a slight edge to Lois.

Lisa Simpson vs Meg Griffin- I've never liked the Lisa character, or the Meg character for that matter, but they do add good things to the show by bringing an odd sense of balance. I go with Lisa by a nose.

Bart Simpson vs Chris Griffin- Bart Dominates

Stewie vs Maggie- Stewie is the best character on that show, by far and Maggie isn't much of a character, but an accessory.

Brian vs Snowball/Santas little helper/Itchy and Scratchy- Brian's an actual character, the others are pets.

Extended Family- (francis griffin/the pewterschmidts vs homer's dad/marge's sisters) - Marge's sisters and Abe Simpson are awesome.

Other regular characters- (Swansons/Quagmire/Cleveland/Goldmans/Channel 5 news crew/Adam West vs Flanders/Burns/Smithers/Krusty/Barney/Moe/Nelson/Milhouse/Seymour/Wiggums - Simpsons

other characters- Simpsons.

So I go with the Simpsons pretty much winning everywhere there's a good comparison except a slight edge to Lois while Stewie and Brian are great characters with no real counterpart on the Simpsons. The secondary characters make the Simpsons great, and Homer is an icon. That's enough for me.

I have a hard time watching anything past season 8 of The Simpsons. In my opinion seasons 3-7 are about as good as anything you will ever see. After that, not so much.

As for Family Guy, I feel pretty much the same way as Trey Parker and Matt Stone do, but still watch Family Guy from time to time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The difference between Homer and Peter boils down to the fact that while they're both drunken idiots, Homer at least tries to be a good dad/husband/person. He just fails miserably at it most of the time. Peter is more "laugh out loud" funny, his humor is more crude, but Homer is more consistent.

Chris/Meg/Stewie vs. Bart/Lisa/Maggie. I think the Griffin kids have more depth to them than the Simpson kids. I've never found Lisa anything but annoying, and she's not even really a good punch line, ala Meg. Maggie is almost an afterthought (somewhat by design of course). Bart's a one trick pony, (bad boy with an attitude) but I guess after 17 years, there's only so much you can do.

Marge vs Lois.......I give the edge to Lois, because she's really not a good person, much like her husband. She's just funnier than Marge. Marge is like Lisa......annoying.

Brian has no Simpsons counterpart.

But the one area that the Simpsons clearly kicks Family Guys ass is supporting cast. You can name recurring characters from Family Guy on 2 hands, while the Simpsons has literally a whole TOWN full of people that can pop in and out of every episode.

I can't decide.

A lot of my friends who like The Simpsons always tell me that it was so much better the first few seasons, but whenever I catch old ones in syndication they're never funny to me. Maybe it's because I see it too infrequently, but I don't remember ever thinking "Wow, that was really funny!" Family Guy on the other hand has certain episodes that make me laugh my ass off. Sure there are often dumb moments and some dumb episodes, but I still find a lot of them hilarious. I think the chicken scene is great, and also when the "Oww" Peter scene drags on for a minute. I guess it all comes down to what type of humor you prefer.

I"d be interested to see how the age of the poster compares to answers in this thread.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with it as well. I think I would've been 1 or 2 when The Simpsons started so I never really saw many episodes from the first several seasons. I'd imagine some of the younger posters would prefer Family Guy to The Simpsons, and vice versa.

And since someone brought up South Park, I think it's terribly overrated. I've seen a good 20-30 episodes and I've probably laughed hard about 3 times total.

As for Family Guy, I feel pretty much the same way as Trey Parker and Matt Stone do, but still watch Family Guy from time to time.

Seconded. Sometimes even the manatees luck into a great episode! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived