Brewer Fanatic

what is gagne's mystery adjustment?

afeter

For all the Yost bashers on this board...

I don't think there was a "mystery adjustment". I think the Brewers just need to be able to justify putting him back in the closer role. (Justifying his contract)

The Brewer's need a reason for us to believe he can be a closer again.

This was in an article on mb.com. I read it to mean that Yost was confirming that Gagne was tipping pitches without saying the words and then saying that he wouldn't tell them exactly what Gagne was doing that tipped hitters off:

Yost said the Brewers noticed a flaw in Gagne's recent outings, particularly on Saturday, but the manager would not go into detail.

Had Gagne been tipping pitches?

"I'm not telling you guys what it was," Yost said. "It was very obvious. That's why I think he was totally upset."

I was at the game last night... Gagne might have gotten the save but he was nowhere near sharp enough to think he has magically turned it around and that there was some incredible adjustment that was made. He was not lights out and certainly with a runner on there were some scary moments when he was giving us full counts.

Look I want Gagne to turn it around and be the closer as bad as anyone but let's not exaggerate last night.

IMHO Yost should be fired for last night. This guy publicly states he shouldn't be closing and has blown 5 saves and just 2 days afterwards Yost throws him right back into the fire with the game on the line. I would have had him pitch some 6th and 7th inning mop up duty for a few games just to get his head on straight.

This was a perfect example of how Yost refuses to put guys in a situation where they can have success. Now Gagne struggled but lucked out and got the save so great we win the game... but if he had blown the save and the game, where would his confidence be and how would the team feel about that? Especially when the media would be certain to explode over a move like that.

We lucked out that the situation ended up a win but you can only play russian roulette so many times before you get the chamber with the bullet.

Rp

my main problem with this whole thing is that Gagne isn't missing ANY bats. I always had the feeling when Cordero came in that 1-2 guys he'd face would be lucky to put solid wood on the ball. With Gagne, he isn't fooling anyone. The 10 pitch at bat with Andrew Jones is the best example I can think of. Jones is so mentally out it right now, I have to believe Cordero would have blown him away much easier.

When closer pitch like Gagne has been, I kept help thinking anyone else would do better. Why do we just assume nowadays that whoever pitched the 8th inning would be so gassed that he couldn't pitch the 9th either? Isn't it more likely for an average pitcher to throw a 3 up/3 down inning than struggle with control, walk a couple batters and try and pitch out of jam, as Gagne has done 16 of 19 outings so far this year?

Any idea why Ned would seem so adamant about keeping this a secret if the change was tipping pitches? If that is truly the case, and a couple of teams had already figured it out, does the Brewer's management really believe that no other team is going to be able to figure it out if they don't acknowledge it?

This is 2008, with teams having people on the payroll dedicated to studying and analyzing film on every opponent. If 2-3 teams figured it out, the rest should be able to do so quickly. Could this be some reverse psychology to send teams on a wild goose chase looking for a tip when it is really something mechanical (or psychological)? Either Ned over thinking this, or I am.

Any idea why Ned would seem so adamant about keeping this a secret if the change was tipping pitches? If that is truly the case, and a couple of teams had already figured it out, does the Brewer's management really believe that no other team is going to be able to figure it out if they don't acknowledge it?
The entire story about finding "adjustments" is just the Brewers' company line, or at least that is what I think. They have said the same thing about CV in the past few days. Its just a way to try and settle down the fan base. It always seems just when someone is struggling and the fan base/media is about to leave the player for dead, the team always manages to let us know that they found a glitch that needs adjustment.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of funny that we heard about the 'mechanical adjustment' for Villy... and then he told Trenni in his in-game interview that the adjustment was for him to work from the other side of the rubber from what he was using.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived