Brewer Fanatic

5/13/08 Dodgers (Penny) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
THANK GOD PIERRE SUCKS!!!! ridiculous. Ned Go back to Nascore!
So Pierre sucks, that is why he made an out, not that Gagne did a good job, For gosh sakes, give him due for a day.

Off course, Ned is an idiot, since he did not bring in Mota.

In fairness, Juan Pierre does suck. I'm just glad we're not the ones paying him.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have now discovered a more unique goal for the 1,000th post "Gagne with a 1-2-3 save"
Why do you need a 1-2-3 save? Does it make you sleep better at night? Does it make you feel better about yourself??

The guy just recorded 5 outs in the 9th inning. They should give him credit for 2 saves after the botched DP and the strikeout of Andruw Jones before the walk.

Not saying every save has to be 1-2-3.. just looking for one in the season.. say what your want but if your closer has 15 save opportunities and less than 3 1 - 2- 3 innings that is not a good sign.. the move by Yost to put in Gagne will either be the smartest or dumbest move of the season.. only time will tell. It definitely wasn't the safe move so you have to give him credit for taking a risk.

in other news:

"...Gabe Gross singled with no outs in the 11th inning to drive in the first run Mariano Rivera has allowed all season, giving Tampa Bay a 2-1 victory over the New York Yankees and sending the Rays into first place in the AL East...."

Sweet. Wouldn't it be cool if the Brewers had snuck a clause into the trade stating that they get an extra player from TB with every positive game-changing action performed by Gabe?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was just talking to a friend today about Gagne and we agreed that we would have left him in middle relief until he threw 2 clean innings. To me that is the sign that he is ready to get back to the closer role. They don't even have to be back to back clean innings, just 2 total. We can't have a closer that is putting 1-2 runners on base every single outing, it is a recipe for disaster.

If the fix was that easy maybe Yost would have talked about it . I agree that I am an angry person after a great win. The fact remains we warmed up our whole bullpen. I guess that's the committee. Warm everyone up and everyone will be cold the next day. If you are going to give a guy a mental break, how about give him a break. Not pitch him after he just pitched 2 innings the night before. And by the way...Gagne was NO better than he has been. This isn't a watershed moment. His WHIP is pathetic and this outing mirrored a lot of his previous soaking his socks performances.

edit for something and also to paste it in vent because I wanna.

If the fix was that easy maybe Yost would have talked about it . I agree that I am an angry person after a great win. The fact remains we warmed up our whole bullpen. I guess that's the committee. Warm everyone up and everyone will be cold the next day. If you are going to give a guy a mental break, how about give him a break. Not pitch him after he just pitched 2 innings the night before. And by the way...Gagne was NO better than he has been. This isn't a watershed moment. His WHIP is pathetic and this outing mirrored a lot of his previous soaking his socks performances.

Why would Yost have talked about it.. to tip the other team off to look fastball? I am just happy we have 3 wins in a row and Gagne pitched in 2 of them and the starters pitched decent in all 3 and the bats are starting to come around. Long ways to the playoffs but things definitely look better than they did last Thursday.. I would add that if Weeks makes a good throw for a double play it is a lot less stressful.

Gagne was a botched double play away from ending the inning in about 10 pitches. He battled Jones (who has sucked, but still could tie the game with one swing) and chose to go after a weaker Juan Pierre. Gagne was more on the attack tonight, throwing more fastballs for strikes. He has not been great, but he did the job tonight and the Brewers made it three in a row.

Why can't people just be happy with a win?

Why would Yost have talked about it.. to tip the other team off to look fastball? I am just happy we have 3 wins in a row and Gagne pitched in 2 of them and the starters pitched decent in all 3 and the bats are starting to come around. Long ways to the playoffs but things definitely look better than they did last Thursday.. I would add that if Weeks makes a good throw for a double play it is a lot less stressful.

Looks like you read my mind Trowekamp http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

trowe.

I can agree that Richie would have made it a bit easier. Gagne is still putting people on base. I thought he was throwing a slider now. They talked about that on the broadcast. My main complaint is warming (it seems and is) the entire pen. Hooray for Gagne but how does that help us tomorrow? I am sure Gagne will be available for his fourth inning in 3 games when his numbers are not showing he deserves it. Gagne pitched like he has all season. Thank God our starters are doing better because we would be in a heck of a lot more trouble the last 4 games.

I have now discovered a more unique goal for the 1,000th post "Gagne with a 1-2-3 save"
Why do you need a 1-2-3 save? Does it make you sleep better at night? Does it make you feel better about yourself??

The guy just recorded 5 outs in the 9th inning. They should give him credit for 2 saves after the botched DP and the strikeout of Andruw Jones before the walk.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/497/chillpillmj4.jpg

I hope Gagne can get a day off tomorrow. Pitching him three days in a row after one of the games was 2 innings scares me. Although he allowed a hit and a walk I thought he threw well, hopefully he can get that slider down and have three effective pitches. I am hoping he can get a few 1-2-3 innings though.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

trowe.

I can agree that Richie would have made it a bit easier. Gagne is still putting people on base. I thought he was throwing a slider now. They talked about that on the broadcast. My main complaint is warming (it seems and is) the entire pen. Hooray for Gagne but how does that help us tomorrow? I am sure Gagne will be available for his fourth inning in 3 games when his numbers are not showing he deserves it. Gagne pitched like he has all season. Thank God our starters are doing better because we would be in a heck of a lot more trouble the last 4 games.

Yeah.. getting relievers up is one of my pet peeves. to . however.. until Gagne can somehow instill a level of confidence it is nice to see the loyalty isn't totally blind. I would have ben more upset if he walks Pierre to load the bases and we have nobody ready to come in and he gives up a single to tie the game. I personally don't know if it worth the effort to try to get him on track rather than have Riske/Mota/Torres fight it out as closer but at least they are hopefully figuring this out in May and not in August.

I have to imagine if Pierre gets on, Shouse is in to face Eithier. At least that is what I would have done, but Yost you never know.

Man Braun is on fire, average up to .294, before you know it he will be over .300. Nice to see Prince get into the act as well.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

trowe.

I think we can agree that this is frustrating even after a win. I hope Gagne does well. I do. But he is putting people on base all the time. Once in a while I want a 1-2-3 inning. OK, more than once in a while...I just think Gagne is done. We'll see and that's the beauty about baseball. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth especially after this mental break that really wasn't. Anyway. I am going to bed. So PM me or I respond later tomorrow. Go Crew!

leaves a bad taste in my mouth especially after this mental break that really wasn't.
So 2 days out of the closers role doesn't count as a mental break to you?

What would constitute a mental break in your mind? 4 days? 6 days? 3 weeks? 1 month 3 days 4 hours and 23 minutes?

He took two days out of the closer role. To me, that was the mental break he needed.

Archived