Brewer Fanatic

Owen Murphy of 1070 ESPN radio in Madison rips Brewerfan.net

1st, the reason the Marlins and Rays are getting pub because everyone down there is from NY anyway, so more East Coast Bias, Florida style.

2nd, when are we going to stop holing talk radio to such a high standard? The people who do local talk radio are not smart people, and the least smart of those people are the dumb exjocks or ex-jock wannabes who are not bright enough to read the traffic report. The pay in local radio is awful and the hours stink, so no kidding the people on 1070 and 1250 are ignorant when it comes to facts, etc. I, too used to get ticked listening to these bozos, but come on, give them a break, the reason they are in radio is because they didnt do their homework in high school, why should it be any differnt now that they are adults?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all radio guys are bad, I like Homer

http://www.madisonsportsradio.com/content/shows/show/4

He at least will read stuff and do research and change his mind. He originally hated the pitcher batting 8th, but went out did some research and reading. He came back a day or two later and admitted he was wrong. He is also talking up OBP over BA.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It wouldn't surprise me much if he was only pretending not to know who Will Inman was, because 99% of his audience doesn't know and would be put off by being expected to know.

I wish this weren't the case. I think it could help eliminate some of the booing to have more knowledgeable fans. Couldn't BF work out something like a contributing role with the MJS? Free publicity or something? It would seem to help all sides.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've listened to "Heller and Murphy" plenty of times, while I was out driving around. The show can be entertaining, and it's a great place to get updates on the day's scores, and maybe hear a good interview with someone interesting.

It is absolutely not a place to get anything resembling detailed analysis, or in-depth knowledge of the Milwaukee Brewers.

ESPN is part of a huge corporation, a money machine which used to be a sports network. ESPN.com is a great place to read the standings, or to catch the latest from some solid writers, but it's all about dollars, it is not about information. Those folks will give you all the "Michael Vick is in Trouble" you can stand, but there's just nothing to gain for them by detailing what's up with the Huntsville Stars; that's like ordering a home-cooked meal in a drive thru lane.

Mr Murphy, as far as informing, or really sharing ideas, your show could not possibly compete with this website. Your time on the air is pre-determined and limited, while this site never stops. You've got a balance sheet to answer to during the afternoon drive, while we are free to discuss anything from Marty Pattin to Eric Farris, whenever we want, for as long as we want, with a group of passionate, knowledgeable peers, all of whom have independently searched this forum out, chosen to join, and then chosen to participate.

There are experts on the Milwaukee Brewers here, Sir, literally hundreds of them, backed by thousands more who are learning all the time through the process of asking and answering, every day, at all hours.

You've got cars and pizzas to sell, which I understand. Go ahead and say something goofy, while Heller offends the last caller for attempting to cross his bridge, I get it, you're keeping the ratings up. Just know, when you do that, you are crossing the line from information to entertainment, which is something this community never has to do.

Oh, by the way, Eric Farris is a second base prospect in the Brewers organization, drafted in the 4th round last year from Loyola Marymount, signed by Cory Rodriguez. Farris had been drafted previously, by the Atlanta Braves, 2004, Round 42.

Sorry if I tripped you up.

Not all radio guys are bad, I like Homer

http://www.madisonsportsradio.com/content/shows/show/4

He at least will read stuff and do research and change his mind. He originally hated the pitcher batting 8th, but went out did some research and reading. He came back a day or two later and admitted he was wrong. He is also talking up OBP over BA.

Homer is the only local guy i can listen to and tolerate. Sparky is alright i guess also, but that's it for around here. That Cliff guy on 1250 during the afternoon with Gary Ellerson just might be the worst sports talk show host i've ever heard, just the sound of his voice makes my ears bleed.

I remember for years Homer had on Mike Gimbal, that was always good to listen to. Now he has on Tom Haudricourt every day at three o'clock if there is no day game.

Well, I listened to the clip, and he actually never claimed to not know who Inman is. He simply trotted out the age old gem (you'll here it from time to time from posters here as well) that "these guys have never done anything in the majors."

Bill James, who at this point basically everyone has come to respect at least a little bit, once said that the concept behind MLE's (i.e. that minor league statistics, properly adjusted, have the same predictive power as major league statistics) was the single most important concept he ever developed.

If I could go the rest of my life without hearing someone resort to "but what has he done in the majors?" it would be far too short a period of time.

(Oh, and he also did call us dorks. But as I sort of said earlier, I'm pretty sure that's part of his job description. If he wants to plug Baseball America, that's fine, I don't think anybody would dispute that they're a valuable resource if you want to know about prospects. If he's plugging ESPN for prospect info, well, try to remember what station he's on. JJ's right that ESPN is a business. The purpose of a business is to make money. Sometimes, in a capitalist society where anti-intellectualism is a cultural hallmark, that means that you are forced to be deliberately stupid. Maybe this is anti-American, but I'm totally willing to loathe ESPN as a consequence of this behavior. Obviously, they don't care - I'm in the minority here - but I think that should tell everybody something about ESPN, America, and capitalism. I'll leave what that means for your enjoyment of their product to you.)

He was working with the program director Tim Scott yesterday. If Scott was involved, I'm surprised they didn't just re-run some three hour nascar show.

Brian, I'm sure grocery baggers take offense to that statement. They're far more informed about baseball than a talking head.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

There are two ways to make it in sports talk radio. One is to be an informed, knowledgeable, and well rounded in all sports the other is to be contriversial and tick people off. Making statements that will incite people to listen just to see what they'll say next. I guess we know which path he chose.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I just saw this thread and then listened to the clip provided by pretendastronaut. I don't really know if the radio host was ripping Brewerfan directly or just ripping all message boards in general. In the guy's defense, he did state that "Andy" became a bit condescending and seems to have suggested the host did not know about the trade situation. That comment right there could have set the host into a defensive mode. It seems to be an old issue with those two sports show guys, (the Inman trade) so they may have very well been venting. No big deal in my mind. Murphy did go on to mention getting stats or information from Baseball America. Ironically, if Murphy were at all aware of it or not, Baseball America's very own Jim Callis directly referred to Brewerfan.net as "an unbelievable site."

So, it seems that the very source Murphy had seemed to claim as much more respectable than ourselves has actually read us over, and found that we are worthy of praise.

Either way, Murphy has given us attention which is a good thing. Even if negative, it was free publicity and generated interest. He benefited by getting us interested in his comments, and perhaps we can attract one of his listeners to this site.

Murphy, at the end of his rant, went on to ban poor Andy from listening to the show for a day. Andy was not the only one banned that day, there was another as well apparently. I'd think that not a wise move for Murphy since that is about 2/3 of his listening audience.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I listen to the show every now and then, usually when nothing good is on. It is fairly entertaining sometimes, but usually comes across as a show where the hosts aren't very knowledgeable, and they pretend to get worked up over small things. Now after ripping BF.net for no reason, I will not listen to the show anymore, even when nothing else is on.

Until I run into a sports radio personality that knows more about the Brewers than the average bf.net poster, they have nothing to offer me. And, heck, I don't even mean that in a condecending way. There probably still isn't a market for that kind of indepth Brewer analysis. Sports radio guys will get better ratings screaming about how Gagne sucks and Yost needs to be fired. If that's true, good for them.

Seems to me that the average Packer fan generally requires better, more objective analysis. Is that an inaccurate generalization? I don't really listen to sports radio at all, so perhaps I'm off base there.

Meh.. who cares what a blow hard radio jock who likes to shout to make his point seem valid. Let em circle the drain and be gone. This guys exactly why I choose to listen to NPR while driving instead of blow hards.

I shall put my pencil in my protector. What the..

Until I run into a sports radio personality that knows more about the Brewers than the average bf.net poster, they have nothing to offer me. And, heck, I don't even mean that in a condecending way. There probably still isn't a market for that kind of indepth Brewer analysis. Sports radio guys will get better ratings screaming about how Gagne sucks and Yost needs to be fired. If that's true, good for them.

I'd say that Homer probably represents the average bf.net poster with maybe a bit less knowledge about the minors and more knowledge about the players, since he's more plugged in media-wise than we are. I generally enjoy listening to him, and find that my opinions pretty line up with his at about 80% regarding the team.

Archived