Brewer Fanatic

Owen Murphy of 1070 ESPN radio in Madison rips Brewerfan.net

An emailer, whilst discussing the Linebrink deal, and the host (Murphy) saying that no one had ever heard of the prospects given up for Linebrink, et al, suggested that maybe he should check out Brewerfan.net to do some homework on the Brewers if he's going to discuss them so he's not uninformed. Murphy went on a tirade making fun of Brewerfan.net and saying that he'd go to ESPN.com to get his info (he mentioned Baseball America too). Anyone who would like to tell Owen what he's missing, or that he's a moron...whatever, here's his email address: hellerandmurphy@1070mail.com

The guy is definitely a tool.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. If some knuckle-headed blabbermouth slams something (when he clearly doesn't do his due diligence), that just makes me think said thing might be worth checking out.

Anyone that cites ESPN as their main source for sports information... well, there's probably just no saving him

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with both of your points, but the way in which he spewed on, railing against this site and those who come here as some sort of dweeb and idiot rubbed me the wrong way. I think it'd be funny if his inbox was filled up with brewerfan.net denizens giving him the 'what-for.'

Wow. I knew who Inman was before I even came to Brewerfan.net. To be honest, I don't think I would care to have this guy's avid listeners showing up here. I know that's a poor attitude, but geez, has he even visited the site? If he goes to ESPN to get his baseball fix and he's somehow a Brewer fan, he must get really bored. How could you possibly ever know what's going on with the Brewers from ESPN?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

You can't. I don't think the guy is a Brewers fan; he just seems like another set of flapping gums that happens to be in a MLB market (or in this case, state).

Let's see...

fans:

Jim Powell

Jim Callis

detractors:

This guy

Where does 'sparky' fall? I honestly can't remember

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Remember, he is in the People's Republic of Madison, where no sports news other than UW athletics and the Packers is deemed important.

That being said, I sure as heck hope this dude does his homework about UW recruits or he will be in a world of hurt.

Let's see...

fans:

Jim Powell

Jim Callis

detractors:

This guy

Bingo. I'll go with the guys who actually know baseball well before some ESPN castoff. If he doesn't like BF.net, that's fine. He probably won't have a job in madison long anyways.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Owen's got one thing going for him - at least one extremely cool friend:

http://www.espn1070.com/pages/weaselradio.html

Ben Weasel is one of my musical heroes, and their radio show has its moments. Check out the podcasts if you want to hear Owen Murphy at his least objectionable. Honestly, putting on a completely phony anti-intellectual persona is pretty much a job requirement these days if you want to talk sports on the radio or write about sports for a newspaper or a magazine. It wouldn't surprise me much if he was only pretending not to know who Will Inman was, because 99% of his audience doesn't know and would be put off by being expected to know. If he really doesn't know Inman, I'd say that's evidence he's wholly unqualified to have any opinion whatsoever about the Brewers, much less one that is beamed out to the public at large.

During the local NFL draft coverage, Owen completely went off on a guy who compared his 18 years of fantasy football experience to the NFL execs in the War Room. Obviously there is no comparison between the two, but Owen was a complete jerk on the air and made a fool out of himself when commenting on the caller.

The scary thing is that I find Owen the more tolerable between he and Mike Heller. Heller comes off so arrogant and smug it makes me ill.

How could you possibly ever know what's going on with the Brewers from ESPN?

I don't think that general idea has anything to do with it. The Marlins and Rays have been getting quite a bit of coverage from ESPN because -- they are winning. I'm sick of the ESPN bashing -- they're a business and they're in business to make money and not cover teams that either aren't in major markets or aren't winning -- right now the Brewers are 0/2. The Brewers did get quite a bit of love last year when they were winning.

The point I have with this is that ESPN doesn't cover prospects besides a few top prospects who might get called up, etc. type of articles. Their minor league coverage isn't good and it probably isn't anything they pride themselves on. I just don't get how this guy expects to get any type of prospect evaluation from any network...and I wouldn't knock bf.net about this. The minor league coverage here is great and one of the main reasons I enjoy the site -- MassHass has to be upset! He does great work keeping us all informed and one crazy that is on the radio doesn't change that one bit.

Archived