Brewer Fanatic

Gamel ready? Platoon with Hall?

Chio151
I think it is pretty clear you won't be seeing Gamel at 3B any time soon. I had heard it was his throwing that was the problem, but either way he clearly isn't ready. But, how about Gamel for a 3 game series at Fenway?

The thing is, Hall's showing a lot of power when he does connect (14 of his 28 hits, counting tonight's homer, are for extra bases). His strikeout pace is about the same as it was in his 2006 season, when he hit 35 homers.

What does his BABIP look like? Does anyone know?

Right, I'm not saying Hall won't improve. Its just that I think its important to understand that sometimes players are hitting line drives that get caught, they are unlucky. Others just haven't been hitting the ball as well as they should and Weeks and Hall both fit in here.

As a general rule, if someone presents something as fact without giving any evidence to support it, they are wrong. It's the first rule of messageboarding. The second rule is to ignore any post that starts with...

1. Hmmmmm

2. I hate to break it to you....

3. I don't know what you are smoking but....

Etc...

Rules 3 though 10 all have to do with Nazis, I think.

If Branyan is called up could he play 1B also? This could give Prince a day off in Boston without taking him out of the lineup. I can see Branyan coming up and giving Hall a couple of days off here and there and also giving Prince a few days off also. To me Branyan is more likely to be called up than anyone else mentioned here.

Russell's played over 300 innings at 1B in his career, so I'm guessing he could handle it. However, I don't think giving Prince days off v. RHP is the way to go. Prince is actually quite good v. LHP, but Branyan is someone you should hide from lefties.

Just for clarity's sake, Russ's career MLB OPS v. RHP: .811

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Giving Prince a day off in Boston would be a good thing since you could put him in as the DH for a game or two. Giving Prince a day off here and there would be a good thing especially when he is struggling at the plate. Putting Branyan in on a day where Prince is struggling at the plate when a RHP is up wouldn't be much of a drop off in production as having Dillon filling in for Prince against a day off when either facing a RHP or a LHP.

I would rather see Branyan getting starts over Dillon since the production lost either by replacing Hall or Fielder is greater than what you would get if Dillon starts on that day.

I hear ya... I just don't think the time to rest Prince is v. RHP. Now certainly there are circumstances where it'd work, but on the whole, if Prince is struggling, I wouldn't want to see him get a day off v. RHP -- that'd be his best shot (imo) to getting back on track.

But we agree that Branyan can help this team both in platooning with or spelling Hall, coupled with his ability to provide nice backup at 1B. The point that he is not as huge a dropoff as Dillon warrants consideration.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

But we agree that Branyan can help this team both in platooning with or spelling Hall, coupled with his ability to provide nice backup at 1B. The point that he is not as huge a dropoff as Dillon warrants consideration.

I am a little confused here. Why would Branyan make a good backup 1B? Are you talking about interleague games in AL ballparks only? I am not saying he wouldn't be a nice backup to Prince, just that there isn't really any way he should start against lefties and no way Prince should be out vs righties. That leaves almost no playing time for him at 1B unless Prince is injured in which case it would be just as easy to call him up form AAA where he can continue playing quite a bit as to let him sit on the bench. Sorry to nitpick.

I agree he would be a good platoon mate for Hall. It would also be nice if we had a lefty on the bench with enough power to hit ball past the warning track.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am a little confused here. Why would Branyan make a good backup 1B? Are you talking about interleague games in AL ballparks only?

If Prince needs a day off and there is a RHP going for the opposing team putting Branyan at 1B wouldn't be as big of a drop off in production as would happen if you put Dillon in. Thats why Branyan makes a good backup 1B. Branyan probably at most would get 5 starts at 1B. He would get more starts at 3B though.

Why would Branyan make a good backup 1B? Are you talking about interleague games in AL ballparks only? I am not saying he wouldn't be a nice backup to Prince, just that there isn't really any way he should start against lefties and no way Prince should be out vs righties.

I agree actually. I agreed that, should Prince need a day off v. RHP for any reason (injury, fatigue, personal, etc.), it's nice to not 'drop' to Dillon v. RHP. Branyan should not sub for Prince v. lefties, but thankfully we have Dillon as the foil.

Archived