Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn

Keeping in mind that no starting pitching is really available until July, should the Brewers manage to stay close enough and still need to add another starter, Washburn might be the kind of guy they could get. Mariners could be in big time sell mode if they continue to play poorly. With recent big time committment to Silva, and Bedard and Hernandez representing long term, Washburn would figure to be expendable.

Washburn, is owed $9.75 million for 2009, but doesn't represent a long term committment and though he's thorougly average, he might benefit from a change of leagues enough to have value to the Brewers. In terms of WHIP , he's been remarkably consistent and decent his entire career.

I'd be open to it. We clear about 20 million in losing Gagne, Cameron, and Counsell. Plus, we'd likely have the inside track on getting him to resign at a decent price should he still have something left in the tank for a 2-3 year deal. Depending on what it'd take to get him, Gillepsie and change enough maybe, then I'd be all for it. We may be sellers though rather than buyers this year however.

I would agree with JB, he would provide a decent, if unspectacular 5th starter who is able to go more than 4-5 innings. He would also give the team back some depth they used to have before injuries. One year at $9.75M is not nearly as bad as 3-4. I believe he's been very durable as well.

Of course, SEA is rumored to be going after Griffey, so they seem to be under the illusion they are in the race.

EDIT: Barring having your scouts say he's done, even his last couple years of 4.32 and 4.67 ERA's are solid for the AL. Good find JB.

Washburn is probably good enough to pitch in the Brewers rotation, but considering the money he's making this year I doubt it's worth it. There are probably better options available for that money, or similar pitchers available for less money.

Jeff Suppan makes just as much, and Washburns better. He pitches in the AL..

Not really. At best you could argue he's as good. The AL, namely the AL West isn't much different than the NLC.

Washburn will be retiring after this year, so in the long run it won't work. And I really don't like him that much.

I can't find any article where he's announced this is his last year. Is this inside info? He's under contract for $9.375 million for 2009. That's a lot but Suppan is owed $12.5 million in each of 2009 and 2010 and Washburn has put up better numbers in a league with a DH. What kind of pitching do you think is out there?

Besides who's talking long run? I'm talking half a season this year, and next year with no huge long term money tied up. Considering loss of Gallardo this year, the fact that Capuano can no longer figure in 2009, the potential loss of Sheets, and no obvious prospect ready by 2009, they will need to add pitching from somewhere.

Washburn will be retiring after this year, so in the long run it won't work. And I really don't like him that much.
I can't find any article where he's announced this is his last year. Is this inside info? He's under contract for $9.375 million for 2009. That's a lot but Suppan is owed $12.5 million in each of 2009 and 2010 and Washburn has put up better numbers in a league with a DH. What kind of pitching do you think is out there?

Besides who's talking long run? I'm talking half a season this year, and next year with no huge long term money tied up. Considering loss of Gallardo this year, the fact that Capuano can no longer figure in 2009, the potential loss of Sheets, and no obvious prospect ready by 2009, they will need to add pitching from somewhere.

Yeah you could say "inside" information lol. It came out of his mouth when I was talking to him lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I think we're closer to the point where we're sellers at the deadline instead of trading for pitching. That's where I'm leaning unless they can get some pitching soon.

Yea, I think we need Parra to be a 4.50 type pitcher all year, and a guy who can go at least 6 on average, McClung to be a good starter, or Villy to bounce back and be a good starter, and the other to be an effective reliever, plus Dillard or another one of our young guys to pitch well in the pen.

IF those things happen, THEN we may be in position to be buyers and for it to make a real difference.

If we're .500 and those things haven't happened, or at least a couple of those things and we're .500 because we just mashing, I can't see just one pitcher that's going to be available putting us over the edge. More likely it's just going to be a guy that we're going to add who's going to help next year, or a guy who's going to cost us prospects without making a real difference. A Javier Vazquez or Washburn.

Well you don't have to I guess. Take it for what its worth. Just remember he grew up in Wisconsin so its not THAT big of a deal that I would know him.

I believe you. The world is a lot smaller than people think.

Archived