Brewer Fanatic

Thatcher Sent Down

Tbadder

According to the Journal/Sentinel this morning. Wow! My proudest moment on this site. I predicted before the season he was a goner. I still think we only gave away one really good pitcher in the Linebrink deal, and if Jack hits with the extra picks it's gonna be a complete rip-off!

Of course he could come back and be graet. But at this point I trust our evaluators. Maybe Stetter is better.

I still think we only gave away one really good pitcher in the Linebrink deal, and if Jack hits with the extra picks it's gonna be a complete rip-off!

Thatcher was pretty much a throw-in for the deal. The Padres got 21 very solid innings out of Thatcher in 2007 -- much better than the innings we got out of Linebrink.

If this deal was a rip-off, the Padres would have regretted making the deal -- I don't think they regret the Linebrink trade for a second.

It sucks Thatcher got sent down, he was a good story coming from the Indy leagues -- I don't think there is a chance in hell he will ever be "great", however I was hoping he could have had Shouse-like career.

The Brewers may have considered him a throw in, but many were pretty upset to lose him before he got a chance in Milwaukee. Of course, just because he got sent down now doesn't mean he won't have a successful big league career.

I'm only claiming that one domino has fallen. I never trusted Inman (small hands, smells like cabbage) either, and I fully believe in Jack Z.'s abilities. We'll have to be patient no doubt, but I really think we're going to come out significant winners though.

I don't think the deal was that bad because we didn't give up all that much overall. I don't think the Padres will be regretting it though. Inman will be a major leaguer and Linebrink was not a big part of their bullpen last year as the 4th best RH in it.

Keeping with the odd theme here, Garrison isn't exactly stinking it up in AA either. A 4.30 ERA in 6 starts for a 21 year old in the Texas League (notorious hitters league) isn't bad.

As for Inman, also just 21 and the same age as college juniors, leads the league in strikeouts, and is 3rd in ERA behind a 23 and a 25 year old.

The Brewers would be extremely fortunate to get anything close to those guys in the draft.

was "smells like cabbage" a bad joke?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think that's a pretty big overstatement JB. They have several picks earlier than where Inman was taken. It would be a big disappointment if they didn't get "anything close" to them with any of those four picks.

Can't deny those numbers boys, no sir. And I'll readily admit it's the Garrison kid who scares me in the deal. I'm just trying one of those "force of will" deals. As far as the "cabbage" reference we'll that's Mike Meyers impression of a circus carney. Of course he shivers while saying it.

Inman's ERA is flukey because of all the unearned runs though which are a subjective thing at best. The strike outs are nice and 3.7 BB/9 is servicable but remember those stats tend to deflate at each level. An example would be Capuano who had 167 K in 159 IP as a 22 year old in AA. I don't know much about Garrison so he was always the wild card for me. Thatcher seems to just be a bullpen arm.

The big reason the trade "failed" is because we still missed the playoffs. If we had eeked into the playoffs most people wouldn't be worried about it. Though to be honest I think Linebrink was the wrong RP to target.

It was a bad trade because it was for 25 reliefs innings of a rental player, it wouldn't have mattered to me who the pitcher was. Making the playoffs would have lessened my distaste for the deal. This was a bad trade for Milwaukee, not San Diego... it was a great move for San Diego in the short term with how well Thatcher pitched, and long term they have Inman that will likely see MLB time at some point. Linebrink didn't make Milwaukee better in the short term, so we can only hope the 2 draft picks make this trade worthwhile long term. Who won this deal long term will hinge entirely on the 2 draft picks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived