Brewer Fanatic

The week ahead/ 7 righties in 7 days

What adjustments do we need to make with the lineup this week with the prospects of not seeing a single lefty this week?

Counsell's OPS against right handers is higher to this point (small sample noted) than every infield starter outside of Prince. Do we look for him to pick up 3-4 starts this week? I dislike The Muscle as much as anyone, but if there is a week to give him an opportunity, this is probably it. If we don't call him up now, we won't until September at best. With a career OPS of over .800 against righties, he would be a much better start than Bill Hall, who looks totally lost at the plate right now

I am no Branyan fan either, but I have a feeling we'll see him called up after the game tonight - just not sure who will be removed (gagne to the DL would seem to be ideal).

Counsell vs. Righties (2005-2007): .249/.337/.359/.696 (976 AB)

Counsell vs. Righties (2008): .286/.348/.381/.729 (42 AB)

If you are going to give Hardy a day off, make sure it's against a RH pitcher but nothing to really get excited about here, IMO.

I am no Branyan fan either, but I have a feeling we'll see him called up after the game tonight - just not sure who will be removed (gagne to the DL would seem to be ideal).

I didn't realize Gagne was hurt and I didn't think you could send a guy to the DL for "Broken Confidence".

I didn't realize Gagne was hurt and I didn't think you could send a guy to the DL for "Broken Confidence".

He isn't (I assume), and you can't. You can however send himto the DL for things like "arm soreness," "tendonitis," or any host of made up ailments that clubs use all the time to put a guy on the DL.

Hardy has been hitting for a higher average against righties this year. He's raised his average almost 30 points in the last 10 games. I don't want to sit him down right now.

The players who've shown little against lefties righties (edit) are Hall, Weeks-who hasn't hit against anybody, and Cameron-who's not hitting and has only faced one or two lefties. So it might be worth a shot to play a few games with Gwynn in CF, Counsell at 2B, and Branyan at 3rd. But they're down to 12 pitchers so who do you send down? We're into the back of the rotation now, where no one can get through the 5th. Without a Designated Closer the relievers can expect unpredictable work. I can't imagine Ned going with 11 pitchers right now....

Maybe an extra start for Counsell and Gwynn in there, but I see no reason to make roster changes because of this. I would guess we face mostly righties all year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Maybe an extra start for Counsell and Gwynn in there, but I see no reason to make roster changes because of this. I would guess we face mostly righties all year.

yeah, but not often 7 in a row. The team is still terrible vs. RHP, though it's improved a little lately.

He isn't (I assume), and you can't. You can however send himto the DL for things like "arm soreness," "tendonitis," or any host of made up ailments that clubs use all the time to put a guy on the DL.

And then he can make a few "rehab" appearances and see if his mechanical flaw is solved and if he seems to be throwing better he could resume the closer role.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived