Brewer Fanatic

Another reason to love Ryan Braun (bat/glove color discussion)

"We'll see what I can do about keeping it. I don't have a problem with it being pink. I don't know what the rules and regulations are."

That's a quote from Ryan, post-game. I know Rock mentioned specifically during the today's broadcast that MLB rules would not allow the use of pink bats aside from the special occasion -- they obviously make a pretty cool exception for Mother's Day.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I remember correctly Johnny Estrada tried to bring his pink bat to the plate with him the next game after Mothers Day when he played for Arizona a few years ago and the umpire made him change bats.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

There are regulations regarding bat color? Some are stained and some are "natural", so I don't see why they couldn't be stained pink.

maybe it's considered a distraction for the pitcher. i'd suppose if coloured bats were allowed, we'd see people like Weeks and sheffield doing their little waggle with neon-green bats.

Yeah, certain colors or color ranges are allowed, but not pink.

(Was gonna put that in blue, but...)

No, that's Father's Day. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I don't know why any single-color tones are not allowed... is it distracting to a pitcher? When's he's pitching, the bat isn't moving a whole lot. The only whole color I could see that they wouldn't allow would be white - it might make it harder to rule on foul tips.

Now tri-tone paisley bats might be a little obnoxious. But like, blue? C'mon! Live a little.

No, I agree, it doesn't make much sense.

If it's because they're concerned it would distract the pitcher, well I think that's pretty crazy.

A pitcher should be concentrating on the catcher's mitt. If he let's himself be distracted by whatever bat the hitter is waving around, then he's already lost the "battle" and shouldn't be out there.

I imagine if everyone just started using them whenever they wanted, it would take away how special it is for Mother's Day. I personally like it the way they do it now.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

My guess is that the glove color rule is a bit more lenient since only a small percentage of total gloves are represented by pitchers, while literally every position player uses a bat.

You'll also disintegrate a lot of balls http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Clemens had to remove the patch because you can't have a white circle anywhere on you while on the mound. It looks too much like a ball. But I see no reason why a player can't have a colored bat. I wonder if MLB purposely makes the pink bats harder to make sure more of them get through the day in one piece.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived