Brewer Fanatic

What will happen during Monday's meeting?

I think I should've put my original post in blue. I was just messin' around, hence the word 'simple'. And as far as Weeks goes, are we now worried about his options? If not, he was a poor example for your argument.

I think I like the Menotti post. The reality is that we just aren't that good on the mound and maybe a bit too inexperienced on offense. The Cardinals are currently the poster boys for strong starting pitching and plate discipline. Look what Braun did yesterday when he actually swung at strikes. I think the the guys we have currently on the roster are the best we have.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jhart,

I do agree they won't bring them up, but I don't think it has anything to do with AA or AAA. AAA is no longer a requirement for promotion. See Al Pujols.

nate,

I'm just curious, but how can you actually say "look at the stats" to know if the current lineup is working? Are we scoring more than we did last year? How do you know we would not have scored more if the P is batting 9th? What stat are you basing it on? I'm not disagreeing with you, but it just seems difficult to gauge. It is only my opinion but I believe it has hurt JJ Hardy's production, and it could be argued that Hall being only two removed the pitcher has also been affected. Seems to me over the year all it does if give the Pitcher more at bats.

They will not promote Gamel or LaPorta straight from AA ball.

Please move on people.

while I'm not advocating it nor predicting it, guys get promoted from AA to the majors all the time.

see: Cabrera, Miguel.

The Cardinals are currently the poster boys for strong starting pitching and plate discipline.

It is only my opinion but I believe it has hurt JJ Hardy's production

This thread actually addresses both of these assumptions.

St. Louis swings at about 1 more time every 25 Balls pitched as the Brewers do. To me that doesn't seem that great.

JJ is actually getting more pitches in the zone than every other starter on the team.

As far as the STL starting pitching, if history says anything, its pretty much a given that they will not sustain this level of success. They have also had a much easier schedule than the Brewers to this point.

I said earlier in this thread, the only move I would make is giving Hall some days off and letting Dillon get a few more ABs. If Dillon plays well, play him more, if not, at least it could give Hall a shot in the arm.

I fully expect everyone elses game to get back on track.

And as far as Weeks goes, are we now worried about his options? If not, he was a poor example for your argument.

The point was that when Weeks came up, no one expected him to have to be sent down again at any point. If we had used up all his options with moves like the one you brought up, he wouldn't have been able to go down last year. And since one of his options WAS used last year, that makes him the perfect example for my argument. Also, if you didn't really mean your argument and it was supposed to be sarcasm, then you shouldn't have defended it a few posts later.

Either way, jhart is right. Neither LaPorta nor Gamel will be coming up anytime soon. Probably September, but not to play a significant role right now.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yes but those two examples aren't exactly fair -- guys like Mantle & Williams would've skipped levels too (if the minor-league structure had been the same), but, you know -- they were too busy mashing MLB pitching by age 20. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mat Gamel is not Cabrera, nor is he Pujols.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The point was that when Weeks came up, no one expected him to have to be sent down again at any point. If we had used up all his options with moves like the one you brought up, he wouldn't have been able to go down last year...
You can send down players for a rehab assignment, even if they have no options left.

(pared back long nested quote --1992)

I wouldn't do anything unless they want to replace Bush if he has a bad start. I don't think you boost CV or Parra's confidence by sending them down, you hurt their confidence. I'd give each of them at least a couple more starts before worrying too much about it. Out of the two I'm much more worried about Villanueva because his peripherals have been much worse.

As for position players, the offense is starting to show some signs of life, I think you have to play wait and see. Hall is the only player that really has me worried at this point and I just don't think Gamel is a real option right now. Maybe give Dillon a start or two against the tougher righties we face here to give Hall mental days off.

If Bush sucky tonight, he goes back down. Bring up Dillard. Bring up Difelice for Thursday game and send Parra out. Bring up Gamel after Thursday game...ship Difelice out. Send Gamel out after Sunday game, bring Parra back. Simple.

I am under the impression that you couldnt bring Parra up that quickly. Absent of an injury (Like the Gallardo.Bush situation) we couldn't bring Parra back up until at least 10 days. So you couldnt send him down Thursday and bring him back up Sunday, the following Sunday yes but not the immediate Sunday

All right, so a few guys have made that jump from AA or less. It still has to be less than 1%.

I can't see the Brewers doing that with these two kids. As many have said, they need to be in the minors right now, playing every day, and working on their defense.

what time is this so-called meeting? any word on it yet? or did yost rent out a room in the back of starbucks during the game? wouldn't suprise me.

and i love how the day before the "meeting" he says to the press that the team is about to breakout. nice marketing job, nedley. ahhh, the timing of a good spin is what makes a spin.

and i love how the day before the "meeting" he says to the press that the team is about to breakout. nice marketing job, nedley. ahhh, the timing of a good spin is what makes a spin.

This reminds me of a Dilbert comic where a salesperson is standing in front of a graph and says something like...

Salesperson: "I predict sales to be nothing for 3 years and then take a sudden surge."

Dilbert: "Why do you think that?"

Salesperson: "The surge was added to get the business case approved. The 3 year lag gives me time to get promoted."

Dilbert: "What about accountability?"

Salesperson: "That's where you come in."

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

What about John Olerud. He skipped the minors altogether.

You only use one option per year. You have 3 options. You don't have to put players on the 40-man to protect them until they have 3 full years in the minors

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It's 4 years now, logan3825, and 5 years if a guy was signed at age 18 or less. That increase was the reason the Brewers had so much 40-man roster flexibility during the 2006-07 offseason and throughout much of the 2007 season.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's 4 years now, logan3825, and 5 years if a guy was signed at age 18 or less. That increase was the reason the Brewers had so much 40-man roster flexibility during the 2006-07 offseason and throughout much of the 2007 season.
Ok, I thought it was 3 full years after the player was drafted which means that LaPorta for example wouldn't have to be on the 40 man until after the 2010 season. The year a player is drafted doesn't count as a full year.

Then there would be 3 years on the 40 man when options were used before keeping a guy in the majors or sending him through waivers or exposing him to the rule 5 draft(not really clear on how that stuff works out).

I blame Wang.

The year a player is drafted counts. What happened was that during the 2006-07 off-season, another protected year was tacked on by the new collective bargaining agreement. It went into effect immediately. I'd bet on almost all internet FAQs still not being modified to acknowledge this rule.

After that, as you say, there are three option years. If an option isn't used during one of those years, it's an additional year that the player isn't exposed to Rule 5 should he be cut from the 40-man.

The year a player is drafted counts. What happened was that during the 2006-07 off-season, another protected year was tacked on by the new collective bargaining agreement. It went into effect immediately. I'd bet on almost all internet FAQs still not being modified to acknowledge this rule.

After that, as you say, there are three option years. If an option isn't used during one of those years, it's an additional year that the player isn't exposed to Rule 5 should he be cut from the 40-man.

So I had the counting right, but not how it was counted. I wasn't to worried about being wrong about it as I figured I was pretty close and somebody would correct anything I got wrong and I would know more afterwards.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

So all told, a player drafted could be kept under control for 13 years including the year that player is drafted. I thought we had this stuff somewhere on BF.net, but if we do I forgot where.

I blame Wang.

It's in Brewerfan's Roster Management FAQ, which is one of the plethora of internet FAQs that need to be updated with this new information. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Brewerfan's code is frozen right now while the site's guts undergo a major rewrite. New content can be added once the new code is in place.

In the meantime, additional references are available in the Transactions Forum FAQ. Feel free to use it to ask questions or provide more references.

Archived