Brewer Fanatic

What will happen during Monday's meeting?

Well Melvin and all the coaches are having a meeting Monday.

What moves (If any) do you think will happen? And what moves would you WANT to happen? (And I hate Yost, but lets not have this thread all saying fire Yost)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free Joe Dillon! Hall needs to take a few games off. He just isn't getting on base at all. Everyone else seems to be coming around, at least a little bit, Hall just looks lost at the plate.

Maybe they'll add a return sign for the suicide squeeze. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Perhaps they'll call up a starting pitcher (Hammond, DiFelice) to see what they can do. Maybe sit Hall for a few games in a row and start Dillon as zzzmanwitz stated. Other than that, I dont know what they would do.

They will definitely do something after the game today - as they are pretty much a man down in the bullpen given the Gagne situation - perhaps a DL stint for him? It appears someone not currently in the rotation may start on Thursday (don't worry, Weaver pitched yesterday, so it won't be him). Interleague is looming this weekend. I think it is safe to say a couple things will be done after tonight's game.

Im wondering if we could see Nelson brought up to be the DH during the Boston series as he woud give the team a second LH power hitter who still has options.. IF they did that then Gywnn would prob be the odd man out.. But i do think CV MP and DB all get one more start before any changes are made and i do think CV and DB are the ones who go down in the long run as MP is the only lefty in the rotation right now...

Gagne is going to have a previously undetected strain of some sort, he'll be DLed so he can go throw some rehab. Either that or Melvin is bringing in a check for 10 million and saying "oops" a lot.

The Weeks and Hall situations will also be taken care of. Dillon will play a few games for Hall, but you got me with what they are going to do with Weeks. My guess is that with his OBP and lack of options, not much will be done. Maybe an extra start for Counsell.

This is what I would want them to do --- I do not think this will happen:

--Call up Weaver and DiFelice -- We all know we'll lose Weaver if he's not in the bigs so we can give him a shot and I think a little less known fact is that DiFelice may have similar language in his contract so we may lose him in June.

--Send down CV and Parra. They're struggling and I think some may have hyped them up a bit. They're still young and a confidence boost in Nashville would be a good thing. If all goes well with Weaver and DiFelice (big if) we can then make a decision to put CV and Bush in the bullpen and get CV some relief work in AAA before calling him up.

--Call up Branyan. Regardless of the love/hate he gets here he's flat out raking in AAA and Hall is stinking against righties. It doesn't have to be a platoon per say, but I'd like to see Branyan get 2 starts at 3b or so a week and 1 start or so in the outfield to get OFers rest as needed.

--Send down/trade Gwynn. He doesn't really have a role on the roster that I see as a huge need at this point. Regardless of the debate of how good he is or isn't sending him to Nashville gets him regular work and keeps him fresh should we have an injury.

I think these are moves that could potentially improve the club without making trades at this point. Our starters just aren't flat out going deep enough into games and the bullpen is going to get over worked. This would allow CV and/or Parra to come back up as needed should an injury or a "fresh" arm be needed -- assuming they aren't overworked in Nashville.

My final bold thought is that the Brewers should name Stetter the closer. I don't know if he's a long-term closer, but hitters haven't seen him and haven't yet figured him out. He might be a guy that could do well in that role and the way he is constantly changes his arm angles (even in the same at-bat) makes it difficult for hitters to figure him out.

I don't see much being done with weeks. Weeks is doing a much better job putting the ball in play this year, 18.6% K rate vs. 26.2% for his career. His BABIP right now is .204 vs a career .298 rate. I really think Rickie has just had some horrible luck.

As for Hall, while his BABIP is over 100 points below his career average (.217 vs. .318), he is actually K'ing more than his career average (27.7%, 26.9%). I think Hall is in much more need of a few days off to clear his head than Rickie at this point.

Does placing a player on the 60-day DL remove him from the 40-man? If so, I think its safe to assume that Gallardo will be moved there, with someone - possibly Branyan or Weaver taking that spot, and Gagne going on the 15-day DL to clear a spot on the active roster. Neither of those excites me at all, but given the week ahead, the Branyan move may make some sense.

My final bold thought is that the Brewers should name Stetter the closer.

I disagree -- I think that they should keep from "naming a starter" as long as possible, or until something becomes very obvious. I think Stetter is young, and does not need to inherit the mess left by Turnbow and Gagne. Stetter is bound to get lit up one of these days, and I would hate for the "First Turnbow, then Gagne, and now this guy..." crap to fall on Stetter.

That said -- I would certainly use Stetter in high leverage situations as much as possible. He seems head and shoulders better than anyone in our pen right now.

I disagree -- I think that they should keep from "naming a starter" as long as possible, or until something becomes very obvious. I think Stetter is young, and does not need to inherit the mess left by Turnbow and Gagne. Stetter is bound to get lit up one of these days, and I would hate for the "First Turnbow, then Gagne, and now this guy..." crap to fall on Stetter.

That's fair enough. I would rather name a closer -- if there is one available because I think not naming one could take its toll on the bullpen because of Yost -- but that is for another topic. Stetter does have a little bit of experience in save situations in the minors (15 saves) and to me he has that closer personality. I don't see him as a guy who would struggle mentally in the role. It would be a risk to make him the closer, but even before naming him the closer it'd be nice to see him get a shot at it with the current rotation of "closers" we are likely to see.

Does placing a player on the 60-day DL remove him from the 40-man?

Yes. Yo will be placed there when a roster spot is needed. It's just a matter of time.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My final bold thought is that the Brewers should name Stetter the closer.

IThat said -- I would certainly use Stetter in high leverage situations as much as possible. He seems head and shoulders better than anyone in our pen right now.

Head and shoulders? Mota, Torres, and Shouse have been money. even big ol' Seth has been good since his first game or two.

I would give all the SP one more start through the rotation. I would give Hall the entire Dodgers series off and start Dillon. I am with the group regarding Rickie. His BABIP is incredibly low right now, get that anywhere near at least 2.60-.270 and his OBP all of a sudden is very good. All the other hitters appear to be turning a corner. As far as the bullpen goes, I think I like what they did last night. I am not sure I would be comfortable with Mota closing. I would also be fine with Riske.

I don't think any changes will be made to the batting order but I was contemplating that effects of switching Hart and Cameron in the order.

actually, I think this is a great chance to forego the entire "closer" issue, and pitch whoever is rested and appropriate for the batters he'll face.

and lets go get branyan, too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://stoneywageslave.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/guillotine.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i support the closer by committee approach. it's the benefit of having a bunch of bullpen guys with a few career saves. another benefit is that we'll see the guys who are most rested and shouldn't have to see someone try for a save four days in a row.

i do wonder if there's any motivation to moving Weeks down in the order and possibly letting Hart hit leadoff. he's had some success there, but at the same time we'd be losing some of the protection for Fielder, whatever that's worth. i'm interested in seeing how Weeks might perform hitting 3rd, 6th or 7th.

Archived