Brewer Fanatic

Save Sheets for Boston? Latest: Beckett Now Goes Sunday

bbaehman

Just saw this on milwaukeebrewers.com:

• Tuesday: Brewers (Carlos Villanueva, 1-4, 6.46) vs. Dodgers (Brad Penny, 5-3, 4.79), 7:05 p.m. CT http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif

• Wednesday: Brewers (Manny Parra, 1-2, 5.79) vs. Dodgers (Derek Lowe, 2-3, 4.43), 7:05 p.m. CT http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif

• Thursday: Brewers (TBD) vs. Dodgers (Chad Billingsley, 2-5, 4.89), 12:05 p.m. CT http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif

Sheets is slated to go on Thursday

Strange. I'd love to see Big Ben in the Boston series for a variety of reasons (I'm sure he himself would love to pitch there), but I'm not sure I understand this thinking this time of year.

I'd like to think there are some match-up issues I'm not yet aware of but maybe it's as simple as getting our big dog in one of the more prominent series we'll have this year...? Huh?!?

I don't want him to pitch against Boston JUST because it's Boston. If there's some other reason to push him back a game, fine. But really, it makes more sense to pitch him on regular rest against the Dodgers, as (while a win obviously isn't guaranteed), a win versus an NL team is more important than a win versus an AL team.

Given some of the uncertainty in the bullpen right now, I suspect we may see a move or two after the game tonight. This could simply be part of whatever is coming in that regard.

My initial reaction is that Weaver would be starting on Thursday, but he pitched for Nashville on Sunday so he wouldn't have 4 days rest. I wonder if they'll pitch him on 3 days? He did only throw 86 pitches.

This is idiotic. Brewers are competing against Dodgers for NL wild card. Games against AL teams, while fun, aren't as important.

So you're assuming this is being done just so he starts against Boston? I don't necessarily see anything to indicate that is or is not a safe assumption. I'm sure we'll find out in teh next 24 hours or so if/when they make a couple moves.

why would we want to show Sheets to the Red Sox? I'd rather have that "element of surprise" in October when they are seeing Sheets for the first time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wonder if they'll pitch him [Weaver] on 3 days? He did only throw 86 pitches.

I believe he "only" threw 86 pitches because he was getting lit up by Los Vegas. But I don't check the Minors, so I could be wrong.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I believe he "only" threw 86 pitches because he was getting lit up by Los Vegas. But I don't check the Minors, so I could be wrong.

He didn't have a great game, but at the end of the day his pitch count wasn't 110 or 120. I don't know why he was removed was it a pitch limit, he struggled, or he had a pitch limit and struggled. He did indeed struggle though.

My opinion is that Sheets should pitch every 5th day(not game). Skipping as many starts as possible from our worst pitcher and running our best pitcher out there as often as possible seems like the best way to win games. Pushing him back a couple times during the season and you are taking starts away by the end of the season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree with logan. There is no reason to bump Sheets back in my opinion. If you want McClung to get a start have him pitch for Bush. You dont pitch back your best, and right now only reliable pitcher (although Soup could be considered reliable)

I'd love to see them throw Bush for 4-5 IP, then follow with McClung for another 2-3, as opposed to just starting Seth. Bush has actually pitched some very good innings for us this season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived