Brewer Fanatic

Momentum in Baseball?

Oldcity

I've seen a lot of comments along the lines of, "Why can't the Brewers build any momentum after a big win?"

To look at it from the other side, the Brewers came back to beat Detroit the day after they were no-hit last year. They came back against the Cubs after allowing 19 runs the previous day. Obviously that's just cherry picking a couple examples, but in general, I'm very skeptical of such a thing as momentum in baseball from one day to the next. The idea that you'll play better one day because you had an exciting comeback victory the previous day seems illogical.

Am I wrong in believing that momentum doesn't carry over to the next game?

Momentum probably isn't the right word. Attitude is probably more approriate and I think that plays a huge part. I don't think one big win can swing everything around, but a week+ of losing and playing bad baseball has to put a negative attitude in the club house, and everything else will just follow along after that, IMO. Frustrations continue to mount and it gets hard to break out of anything.

Momentum takes more than 1 game to build. It would be hard to argue that Colorado didn't build some momemtum at the end of last year. Prolonged winning stretches build confidence if anything.

It would be very easy to argue it statistically, not that I'm going to do that but I'm sure someone else will~

I think momentum exists in sports but it is minimized in baseball compared to others.

I think that makes sense. The Rockies are the one exception that I thought of. My main issue was with the premise that one exciting/impressive win should trigger a winning stretch of games.

i believe the momentum we are looking for comes from confidence in themselves and teammates, players knowing their roles, and believing that there is no adversity that cannot be overcome. lineup the stars with those factors, throw in a few home games, and keep your fingers crossed that the manager can throw fuel on this fire --and away they go. i remember the momentum of the 13 game winning streak to start that season--it was almost surreal.

The odd thing is that it seems like it's hard to hold on to a winning streak and continue it. But if momentum makes things easier, shouldn't it get easier? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I think after the Brewers dramatic win the other night, they actually had a little bit of fire and confidence. Before that, just looking at the team and their attitude on the field, I was quite certain they were going to lose every game for the rest of this year. So basically, I think momentum is more in the fan's perception. At least I hope so.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived