Brewer Fanatic

Weaver, DiFelice, or Hammond?

DrWood
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be really mad if they demote Parra or Villanueva after such a short period of time.

But they have options remaining so they can send them down to work on their mechanics and/or get their confidence back without exposing them to waivers. That can give them time to evaluate DiFelice and/or Weaver for a couple of starts. My preference is DiFelice because of consistency and K:BB ratio.

I'd bring up Weaver. See if he can ressurect his career. I'm all for taking shots here. Of the other two I'd take Naverson. In any case I really think the Brewers need a 3 or 4 inning reliever who can go once a week to save the bullpen. Could that be Bush? More like Villy? Maybe DiFelice since he's decided not to walk anyone anymore.

im pushing for Weaver. Hes had some really good seasons and he could certainly reserect his career here. WE just have to see what we have with him before he walks.. I really like Narveson as an option too, he pitched extremely well in spring training and hes a lefty. But we can't forget about Chris Capuano. Wouldn't that be ironic if he comes off the DL and he is in his 2005 form and he becomes the savier of our rotatoin.

Maybe DiFelice since he's decided not to walk anyone anymore.

That's what makes him somewhat appealing to me. Most fringe starter types are going to give up their fair share of hits and homers, but if they also are out there walking guys, that's what can lead to those 3-4 inning 5-6 run starts.

Oh my god ! Promote Weaver? Weaver not even good enough to keep his rotation spot in Nashville. He'll get likely get cut as soon as Steve Hammond gets bumped to AAA. Hammond has 55 Ks in 45 innings this year, with a 2.96 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I still think Villanueva, Bush, and Parra will throw in some decent starts if they can get some run support. McClung may take over a spot also. I think they will trade for a starter in July if they are close enough. Weaver doesn't seem like much improvement. DiFelice might be worth a brief look at some point. Don't count out Narveson either. He turned some heads this spring.

Hammond may figure in their future plans, but not as a guy they count on to win this year. I only think we'll see him if the season goes totally in the tank.

I'll be really mad if they demote Parra or Villanueva after such a short period of time.

With Parra, I wouldn't be upset to see him demoted. He just hasn't looked 'right' yet, but his last start was obviously encouraging (after starting off very discouragingly). Villy imo is not at the point where going down to Triple-A will help. It's time for Carlos to get comfortable & consistent going every 5th day at the MLB level... just mo.

I think there's plenty of injury insurance-type SP (Narveson, DeFelice, Weaver, etc.), but not a real nice option at Nashville in terms of bolstering the rotation. I hope the Crew are still in the race come the trade deadline, because I sincerely believe we have the chips to add an arm to help us not only in 2008, but beyond.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

weaver had one bad outing and one good one, i'd let him have one more in nashville and if bush can't pitch well tonight, i'd give jeff a chance. if he sucks it up and we get rid of him, it doesn't hurt the organization as all.

Are we really discussing Tim Dillard, DeFelice, Hammond, and Jeff Weaver?? If that is really the case, are we all also assuming that the season is over from a competitive standpoint? Really all of those pitchers are #5 starters at best and we are talking about plugging at least two of them into the rotation. Unless the bats get red hot overnight(and stay that way for the next 50 games or so), the Brewers may as well raise the white flag at Miller Park if they call any of those rummys up.

Are we really discussing Tim Dillard, DeFelice, Hammond, and Jeff Weaver?? If that is really the case, are we all also assuming that the season is over from a competitive standpoint? Really all of those pitchers are #5 starters at best and we are talking about plugging at least two of them into the rotation. Unless the bats get red hot overnight(and stay that way for the next 50 games or so), the Brewers may as well raise the white flag at Miller Park if they call any of those rummys up.

You must have not gotten the memo. Don't you know that AAA players are better than guys in the Majors? OMG Weaver comeback POY and Cy Young candidate!@!@#!

ok sorry my birthday was yesterday and my headache has made me a little bit chippy. Your comments are right on.

Unless Weaver has gone Quisenberry or Candiotti on us, don't we know what we get with Weaver, and therefore should avoid him like the plague? I'd like to see the Difelice guy get a shot just for fun, but in the long run I think we need to use excess offense to pick up some pitching prospects at the higher levels. It's all about the pitching, and I just don't see us having enough.

DiFelice -- 9 BB / 63 K at Triple-A in '07 (58 IP); 1 BB / 28 K in 2008 (23 IP). If that's a "rummy," pass me the bottle please.
I won't say it is impossible for DeFelice to be an adequate major league pitcher, but there is probably a reason that he has been in the minors for ten years and has bounced around four organizations and the independent leagues. The odds that a 31 year old career minor leaguer suddenly puts it together to become a decent major leaguer are between slim and none.

This isn't 2003-2004 where the Brewers can afford to play overmatched bush leaguers because the team isn't going to compete. It is only six weeks into the season and from a talent perspective the Brewers have a chance to compete, so it is not really the time to waste innings for purposes of seeing if "the Rookie" has it.

Well, there's certainly a glut of ML-AA OFs/1Bs right now with Fielder, Braun, Hart, Gwynn, Gamel, LaPorta, Gillespie, Errecart, Brantley, Nelson, Katin, etc., (not including stopgaps like Cameron, Kapler, Dillon, etc.), so I think the poster was referring to moving a couple of these guys for some pitching.

I'd still like to see what the Giants would offer in return for Nelson, Iribarren, and one or two of Errecart/Gillespie/Katin.

Archived