Brewer Fanatic

Weaver, DiFelice, or Hammond?

DrWood

If the brewers bring up a starting pitcher, who do you want it to be, Weaver, DiFelice or Hammond?

I'm partial to Hammond; he's really gotten his strikeout rate up this season. If Weaver pitches well in Nashville, I'd guess it will be him, though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DiFelice. Easy call. You don't post the kind of peripherals he's posted for 1+ seasons now at AAA without being able to help at the major league level.

It's been more than 3 seasons since Weaver pitched well enough to deserve a spot on a big league roster. I shuddered when they signed him in the first place. Best thing that could happen would be for him to get really roughed up in his next couple of outings so that Melvin can't possibly justify calling him up to keep control of him and they lose him as a FA.

Weaver started 27 games last year and went seven innings eight times. In 2006 he started 36 games and pitched seven innings six times. I don't know if that is consistent or not, but what I did notice when I looked it up is how inconsistent Weaver actually was. The guy would pitch a great game and then not get out of the second inning. I'd just rather give someone new a chance. How about Dana Eveland? Crap. I vote the old guy...Difelice?

I'm leaning towards David Manning, personally.

I mean, Jeff Weaver sucks. DiFelice seems to be the Brewers version of Aaron Small. Hammond isn't ready, yet.

I think the rotation will stay as is.

There was a story on the Sporting News site that talked about the June 1st deadline for calling up Weaver, and how the Brewers are having their review tomorrow. It mentioned that one of the Brewer's scouts will be in Nashville today to observe Weaver. I'm guessing Weaver will get the first call, but DiFelice has to get a look at some point.

I do think it'll be Weaver and I'm not opposed to a Weaver and DiFelice call up, but I don't think that's likely. Yost has stated that Parra's spot is safe in the rotation for now so it boils down to CV and Bush. My guess is whoever pitchers "better" stays for now and the other heads back down to Nashville and Weaver takes their spot.

DeFelice. I don't care how many innings a game you may think Weaver pitches. None of that matters when he gives up 6 or 7 runs. He won't give the ballclub a chance to win, therefor move to the next guy. Weaver is about 4 years removed from being a decent pitcher.

Can we turn Gagne back into a starter?
I know you said it sarcastically, but its actually not a terrible idea. He was made a reliever because he had a dominant slider, and a good fastball that jumped to dominant as a reliever, with no 3rd pitch. Now he's junked his slider, his fastball is only average, he has a tollerable curve, and has developed an outstanding changeup. He has lost command bigtime.. He has a nice 3 pitch mix, and the regular work with throwing on the side a starter gets usually improves command. His arm might not be able to take get stretcher out longterm, but he has only a 1 year deal and is useless as is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Can we turn Gagne back into a starter?

It's better than what he was doing during the 9th inning today....getting paid to sit on the bench and toss a baseball in the air and catch it. They cut to him a few times during the 9th and he looked bored. Why not?

Out of curiosity, where is Chris Saenz as far as rehab goes? He had surgery last year right? I can't even recall what he had goin on, or where he is physically right now, but I'd like for him to be an option.

I'm going to throw out a Tim Dillard option here. Remember, he was #11 on the Power 50 a year ago. Had a mediocre 2007, but has done very well in a long relief/piggyback role this year. His career numbers look similar to 2005 Dave Bush, which I think most would be fine with. DiFelice would probably be my first choice, but Dillard is worth a look too.

I'm going to throw out a Tim Dillard option here. Remember, he was #11 on the Power 50 a year ago. Had a mediocre 2007, but has done very well in a long relief/piggyback role this year. His career numbers look similar to 2005 Dave Bush, which I think most would be fine with. DiFelice would probably be my first choice, but Dillard is worth a look too.

He's not doing bad this year by any means, but it looks like his future with the Brewers is as a relief pitcher. I really don't think at this piont he has enough pitches to be a starter. I'd also like to point out he hasn't been a long relief/piggyback for most of what I've seen. They're trying to use him for an inning or two (sometimes more) so it looks like they see him as a relief guy a la Torres, Riske, Mota, etc. A guy that can pitch multiple innings and not a guy like McClung at this point. I do believe Dillard does have some value in that role and he's done quite well so far in it.

Archived