Brewer Fanatic

Play Doug Melvin (Hindsight is 20/20)

twobrewers

Since everyone is bashing everyone right now, I am just curious what moves people think Melvin should have made that would make the Brewers a better team. Let's ignore injuries, because that can't be Melvin's fault. (Melvin had no way of knowing Capuano or Gallardo would get injured)

- Gagne was a mistake. Trading for Lidge (who went very cheaply) would have been a much better option.

- Turnbow should have been jettisoned before the season. (But I understand why they hoped he would turn it around)

- Yost could have been fired.

Those are about the only 3 things I can think of where Melvin really could have done a better job. Braun to the OF was the right move. Perhaps we could use a better 3B than Bill Hall - but who? And then what would you do with Hall? Kendall and Cameron were good signings.

What else should have been done this off-season?

Brad Lidge said two years ago that he hated Milwaukee more than any other major league town so keep that in factor when doing your 20/20 hindsight.

What was interesting looking back at Gagne was the ground balls he gave up to start the inning. I am a big critic of signing him since he was a stud with roids and now last night his fastball was 88 mph but they were ground balls which is something the Cards do well and the Brewers try to hit HR's. It's a mindset our young players don't have but the scrappers for the Cards do. Game lost!

I don't get the Gagne signing. He struggled mightily with the Red Sox. Face it, they wouldn't let him sniff action during a competitive playoff game (sans the 11-inning loss versus the Indians). And then, Melvin gives him $10 million to be the closer, with a similar situation here in Milwaukee!?

I don't understand how a collection of intelligent baseball minds here on brewerfan.net, and, heck, even nsbb.com, could think that Yost is a baffoon, and yet, there is not even a thought of firing him? Melvin's loyalty is frustrating.

Lidge was my off-season target for closer as well. He looked really good late in the year, and it was pretty obvious he got his confidence back. We could have but together an offer just like the Phillies did.

Also, Troy Percival would be looking good as the Brewer closer right now:

13:1 K/BB. 0.53 WHIP. 8 saves. Ouch.

I would have fired Yost.

I wouldn't have signed Gagne though to be honest I don't think it is as bad a deal as most do. I didn't expect a Red Sox type blowup out of him but I didn't think he would be dominant either, adequate is where I would have put him. The money is just too much. I personally don't think spending lots of money on a closer is ever a good idea.

Firing Yost is the big one but I mean it is an easy thing to say from the outside looking in.

I might've ended up doing that Scott Rolen-for-Hall and Capuano trade, but since Rolen didn't make his season debut until the same day Mike Cameron did, I don't know how much that would've helped the team in April.

I probably still would've rolled the dice on a 1-year Gagne deal, although for a reduced price. We can all be thankful that Melvin didn't give in to the 2-year deal Gagne was insisting on, though.

I might've been tempted to go after Milton Bradley to play CF instead of Cameron, given Bradley's hot start and the fact that he's a switch hitter, but they'll probably end up producing about the same.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Lidge was my off-season target for closer as well. He looked really good late in the year, and it was pretty obvious he got his confidence back. We could have but together an offer just like the Phillies did.

Also, Troy Percival would be looking good as the Brewer closer right now:

13:1 K/BB. 0.53 WHIP. 8 saves. Ouch.

Troy Percival's elbow is hanging on by a thread. He's the biggest risk of the lot.

I forgot about Rolen. That would have been a pretty good move. At the time, I didn't want to give up Capuano AND Hall - but now that would be a good deal.

I don't think Lidge's success was hard to predict. He was pretty good last year. But I didn't know he hated Milwaukee. And Houston might have been willing to trade him to us only because they thought he was done.

I was also interested in Dotel as a closer. He would probably being doing better than Gagne.

To be fair they tried to bring in a left handed hitter but couldn't find one and no I don't think Lofton was much of an option. He can't hit lefties anymore, his peripherals are going in the tank and he is barely adequate in LF now much less center.

Archived