Brewer Fanatic

Spinoff from the dream thread: Sleepwalking

B2k1121

Anyone have any sleepwalking stories? I used to sleep walk a couple times a week probably when I was around 10 and I would always pee in this big plant my mom had, or I would try to go downstairs to pee even though there was no bathroom. My parents had to start sleeping in the living room to hope to catch me and take me to the bathroom before I could destroy plants and carpet, or fall down the stairs, or bake a cake from scratch.

I'm 23 now and don't sleep walk anymore but I have heard that often times it comes back later in life.

I have the opposite of sleepwalking: I kind of wake up, but cannot move. Often times it is after I really woke up once and went back to sleep. I can hear, feel, and think almost normally, but can't move. Sometimes it is accompanied by dreamlike sounds, voices, or feeling like I'm being shocked. I also can get panicky and try to jerk myself awake or alert my wife somehow so she can wake me up because of the feeling of paralysis or a slight suffocation feeling if I happen to be "re-breathing" air. I was more panicky when it first happened when I was a kid and I didn't understand what was going on. I find that if I relax I either wake up fully or slip into a deeper sleep.

My amature theory is that my body doesn't know when to quit producing that chemical that keeps you from sleepwalking or that it produces too much; but maybe I've been watching too much House http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Greeg, I've heard of that before. It happens to my father sometimes, the first time my mom said he really freaked out. "Demon's have me!" I think was the quote.

Again, not sleepwalking, but when you sleep on your arm funny and then you wake up in the middle of the night and can't move it at all, that's a pretty weird feeling.

I surely did as a kid a few times. The most extreme example was being in the Wisconsin Dells as part of a convention for elementary school crossing guards/bus safety patrol (huge dork), and you bunked with all of your classmates, so all of the boys from my class were in my room and all the girls from my class were in the next room.

And no, no alcohol or drugs were involved...

I forget the hotel, but there was a pool in the central area and the rooms did a horseshoe around them... anyway, I started to "come to" as I was standing near the pool and quickly started knocking on doors to get back into bed. I woke a bunch of people up.

Eventually two of my classmates let me in and I passed right out... didn't remember a thing about it when I woke up - I was "the sleepwalking guy" for the rest of the weekend...

Doesn't happen to me as an adult now though....

I have the opposite of sleepwalking: I kind of wake up, but cannot move

One of my friends has the same thing, though when he wakes up and can't move he'll foot of the bed, and an image of an old terrifying woman is sitting on his feet. It's known as Old Hag Syndrome. I've heard a few people talk about it. George Noory on Coast To Coast (am late night talk show), has talked about it happening to him a few times.

I know I would sleep walk on rare occassion as a kid. A few times I know I fell asleep in my bedroom and wake up the next day in the basement, it freaks you out.

It's happened to me a few times in the past few months. My girlfriend said I got up and started digging through her closet, then went into the bathroom and started looking behind the mirror/cabinet, and after that I started cleaning the toilet with the towel she uses to dry her hair. It was pretty embarrassing when she was telling me about it. The other time was a few weekends ago, I got up, dug in her closet a bit, then went to the sink in the kitchen and turned on the water and was just staring at it. Apparently her roommate got up to go to the bathroom, as he was approaching, I guess I was like "dont worry, i have this under control" just staring at water coming out of the sink.

It's embarrassing to an extent, but I gotta laugh about it now that its over and I didn't hurt myself or break anything.

I kind of wake up, but cannot move.
Same here. I'll think that I'm awake and that there's a massive ruckus and commotion going on around me but I'm unable to move. Then I'll wake up for real and everything is completely silent.

Archived