Brewer Fanatic

Joe Dillon still underappreciated / What to do about Bill hall?

AJAY
Verified Member

I am so ready to see Joe Dillon take over at third base. I have NO idea why management doesn't appreciate what he brings to the plate. I know Bill Hall hits some occasional homeruns, but this team really needs better at-bats. I like Bill Hall as a person, but I just don't feel his style of offense is a good match for what this team needs.

The Brewers MUST find a way to get Dillon playing time ahead of guys who aren't producing regularly. I think Bill Hall should go back to being a super-sub. He had more success in that role. Playing everyday hasn't worked out too well for him.

I was actually calling for Dillon to play ahead of Jenkins last year. I am still convinced we would have gone to the playoffs had our management made the move sooner. By the time they figured it out and started Dillon, it was too late.

I hope they don't make that same stupid mistake again.

title edit: 'cause this seems to be as much about Hall as Dillon --pogo

This year, Hall is OPSing 1.088 against lefties and .553 against righties. In his career, it's .849 vs .757. If anything, he's a candidate to get platooned, but since Dillon is a right-hander, it isn't a good fit.

Community Moderator

Bill Hall is my favorite player, and he's deadly against lefties.

But besides 2006, he looks an awful lot like a platoon player.

I think I'm ready to admit that he should be platooned. I'm not a 3TO lover like many here, but his AAA stats are starting to lose the definition of a "small sample size". A 1.066 OPS in 113 ABs is quite amazing, actually. I know he won't come anywhere near that in the bigs, but having him in there against RHP instead of Bill Hall is looking like a better idea every day.

That leaves either Dillon or Counsell as the odd man out. They would have needed to recall Branyan instead of Dillion last week for it to work. I'm fine with even a Dillon platoon though, considering how bad Billy has been lately.

Bill Hall is not a good player, it is simple as that. I think out of all the current Brewer starting hitters he is the lowest upside overall out of the bunch. He had a year where he was hot all season and got a bigger contract than he probably should have. He is erratic defensively and just horrible with his approach at the plate.

Bill Hall Career vs. Lefties: .274/.354/.495/.849

Russell Branyan vs. Righties: .231/.332/.479/.811

Bill Hall Career vs. Righties: .256/.304/.453/.757

3TO Career vs. Lefties: .215/.297/.469/.766

Granted, Branyan is 32 and probably won't be getting any better. That said, a Branyan/Hall Platoon would be exceptional, and a return to the super-sub role for Hall is at the very least worth a shot.

DFA McClung, recall Branyan, return to first place. Simple as that.

How is Dillion as a fielder? I would like for him to get a little more playing time. Hall is just hard to watch right now. He is 3 for his last 35 with 12 K's, only one extra-base hit, and zero RBI's. He has walked 8 times which is nice. That is an .086 average over the last 10 games, while striking out over once per game. I think he needs to sit down for awhile.

I second the idea that Branyan should be brought up as a platoon-mate for Hall. I know Hall has been a good sport about moving around and such, but he hasn't hit well in since 2006. It's time to get down to business. No more worrying about feelings and egos for guys who haven't produced in recent memory.

I agree with you sheetswannabe...but i'd just assume bench hall and play gamel every day...he hits lefties a ton too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

yeah, the defense is a major problem...but the brewers completely suck right now, so i'm about ready to try anything

While I agree that Hall has been awful, we are going to need full production from Hall, Hardy, Hart, etc. if we will ever turn this mess around. Putting in Dillon, Branyan, Counsell or whoever the latest fringe player plug-in is, will only guarantee defeat in the long run. Further, since the brain trust plus Nedly is meeting today, I sincerely hope we don't get another Linebrink type trade that will solve nothing and remove more prospects.

He is erratic defensively and just horrible with his approach at the plate.
I think Bill has looked pretty good defensively this year. But of course, after a year of Braun...

This thread title could just as easily included what to do about Weeks & Hardy. I would like to see Branyan platoon with Hall and Dillon taking some starts from Weeks. It's time to accept that Hall is a very limited player. Hardy is pretty average. And Weeks just isn't that good.

Hardy gets a pass?

I'm all for finding some playing time for Dillon but it should come at the expense of all 3 under achievers, Hall, Hardy and Weeks. Hardy's "slugging" .294. That is totally unacceptable. At least Hall is a threat to go deep. Move Hall to SS and play Dillon at 3rd.

All of our infielders not named Prince could use more "days off." It's just a shame that Counsell is primary backup for SS & 2B. JohnBriggs makes a good point that Dillon could play 3B, shifting Hall to SS. That way, Dillon could get could get two starts a week at 3B, and Counsell would get one start a week at 2B (although Dillon could play 2B and Counsell could be left to rot on the bench), giving Weeks, Hardy and Hall one day per week off. I still believe that all three will heat up at some point, but it's hard right now to see so many of our players underperforming at the same time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hardy shouldn't get a pass but he is hitting better lately. He hasn't shown power at all, which is a disappointment. Hall in my mind needs to be sat down in mind because he is struggling so much right now. Hall isn't hitting home runs lately and when he isnt hitting home runs he isnt valuable to this team. It doesnt make sense to me to bench the guy who is starting to hit.

Hardy is hitting .275 with a .364 OBP and a .697 OPS since the 5th game of the year so he doesn't bother me as much. Obviously he needs to start getting some extra base hits but I can live with the OBP he is giving us.

Hall is hitting .184 with a .268 OBP and a .628 OPS since the 5th game of the season. He has been pretty dreadful for quite smoe time now and his 2 HR game is making it look better than it has been.

When Hall and Weeks are below the Mendoza line, then Dillon needs to give these guys a couple of days off if nothing else to get their head right. Why Dillon didn't spell either one this series is a head-scratcher, and more ammunition in the anti-Yost camp.

Archived