Brewer Fanatic

Gagne said he doesn't deserve to pitch the 9th, removed from role (reply #40), says he's ready to be the closer again (reply #81)

"LaRussa removed his closer"

Actually Isringhausen went to LaRussa and asked to be removed from the closer role for now.

So it isn't completely different at all, it is a very simular situation to Gagne/Yost.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If by the same way you mean completely different, then yes. LaRussa removed his closer,

LaRussa sticks with his closer who leads the league in blown saves along with being one of the league leaders in saves with an usightly ERA until his closer publicly says he shouldn't be closing anymore. Ned Yost sticks with his closer who leads the league in blown saves along with one of the league leaders in saves with an usightly ERA until his closer publicly says he souldn't be closing anymore. Yep completely differant.

Yost would still be sending Gagne out there if Gagne didn't tell anyone who'd listen that he shouldn't close right now.

You know this how? If the Braun Fielder switch is the other example that switch really didn't do much to help either of them so Ned appears to have been right about that one.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The money is guaranteed and to DFA $10 million in May means Melvin should be gone today. It's that simple.
The Brewers simply cannot DFA Gagne and then use that money somewhere else via trade. Their pockets aren't that deep.

I've never said that the Brewers can use that money elsewhere. No other team can DFA someone and then use that same money elsewhere. The Brewers took a calculated, very expensive, risk. Right now, it's not working out. They have a plan to try to fix Gagne, and I hope for everybody that they do. But whatever decision is made with Gagne should revolve only around his talent and his future value to the team. His paycheck should not enter into the equation, because his paycheck won't have any effect on the field.

I guess Gagne just needed one game off. (Link to Haudricort blog).

Just 48 hours ago Gagne said after blowing Saturday's game against St. Louis:

"I don't deserve that ninth inning right now. It's very simple," said Gagne, who surrendered two ninth-inning runs that allowed St. Louis to pull out a 5-3 victory at Miller Park.

"It's embarrassing."

But today, it's a different story:

"I had my mental break (Sunday)," said Gagne. "I'm good to go now.

"I know I'm a great closer. I know I'm going to work out of it. It's just a confidence thing. The only way you'll be all right is keep going out there in a closing situation."

Personally, I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I think it's great that he thinks he can go out there and get the job done. Yet, I wonder if he's just fooling himself, and everyone else, with his new found confidence. I guess it's up to Yost now to decide if Gagne can get the job done.

Heh, that's a pretty quick reversal. I still wouldn't mind he he gets "injured" in the near future and makes a few "rehab" appearances in the minors before he's back with the major league club.

I would think, given his contract, rightfully or not, he will be marched out there to close within the next week. My guess is that he will flourish. But my opinion doesn't matter as much as the "Book Reader" who has never heard of Scott Norwood, or maybe Ned's under the assumption that Buffalo beat the Giants.

A little off topic rant/pondering but when is the last time we've had a good closer/reliever prospect come out of our farm system(that we drafted)? I'm talking a very good prospect(Sarfate, etc. were borderline when traded). Our bullpen has been full of retreads for the past decade sans a guy here or there. Gagne and co. is what happens when Melvin/Zduriencik whiff in their pitching picks. If they're just better at prospecting position players that's fine but then they need to move some of the position talent for pitching eventually.

Save for possibly a trip to the minors to work on some things which almost certainly was not going to happen, this is the only alternative I see. I just don't see him working through it any other way.

Sometimes all it takes is to reach your point and break. I have been there many times in life. I think thats what he did. Now you can start fresh, he was built up, let it out and now maybe he can relax a little and get out there and pitch.

I am pumped up and hope to see him get a shot tonight. Gagne is the greatest closer in recent memory and he is on the Brewers guys! He deserves some support.

This is sick but man I'd kill for this core bullpen again:

2001:

RP-Mike DeJean

RP- Chad Fox

RP- David Weathers

RP-Ray King

CL-Curt Leskanic

Or this one:

2000:

RP- Ray King

RP-David Weathers

RP-Curt Leskanic

CL- Bob Wickman

If either of these were our opening day bullpens I'd feel much more comfortable. Dean Taylor put together some decent bullpens.

maybe Gagne made the "don't deserve to be the closer" announcement to the media because he wanted to ensure that Yost would decide to take him out of the roll and guarantee a day off for himself.

Gagne learned that Ned would overuse him so he tried to nip it in the bud before Ned tried to get him out there for 5 straight days or something like that.

Okay, I'm just messing around, but I wouldn't doubt it one bit if it turned out to be true.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I have the feeling that management said we're paying you $10 million and we'll let you know when you're not the closer...or Gagne has some serious mentality issues as a closer -- which he has never displayed before. This makes Gagne look bad in my mind -- he was accountable a few days ago, but now despite how poor he's pitched he's ready again. Just doesn't make sense to me...

he should be used IN BOSTON if anywhere. earn your money. and do it in front of fans that didn't mind one bit you left town after a mediocre performance with the red sox. earn it in Boston. we'll see if you are a great closer there and only there.

(this is also based on all of my friends from boston who "warned" me and are now heckling me... ouch.)

Eric Gagne: "I stink, I don't deserve to be this team's closer."

Scott Boras: "You dope! NOW how am I supposed to get you a 4-year deal for $50,000,000 with a big market team? You go back to the media tomorrow and you take it all back! Say you're fine now!"

Gagne: ""I had my mental break. I'm good to go now. I know I'm a great closer."

Boras: "Yeah, that's what I thought you said!"

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

maybe Gagne made the "don't deserve to be the closer" announcement to the media because he wanted to ensure that Yost would decide to take him out of the roll and guarantee a day off for himself.

Gagne learned that Ned would overuse him so he tried to nip it in the bud before Ned tried to get him out there for 5 straight days or something like that.

Okay, I'm just messing around, but I wouldn't doubt it one bit if it turned out to be true.

Please. He's sucked no matter how many days rest. Melvin gave Ned a lemon.

sweeps, I really can't be upset at anybody with an Eric Stratton avatar, but why slightly condescend my semi-light-hearted look at the Gagne situation?

If you're going to talk down to me, then isn't this an indictment against all posters? And if so, then isn't this an indictment against the United States of America? Gentlemen! (hum, hum, hum, hum, hum, hummmmmm! Hum, hum, hum, hum, hum, hummmmmmmmm!)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Personally, I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I think it's great that he thinks he can go out there and get the job done. Yet, I wonder if he's just fooling himself, and everyone else, with his new found confidence. I guess it's up to Yost now to decide if Gagne can get the job done.

He could be thinking, "Crap. I'll lose out on HOW much potential money if I don't earn saves the rest of the year?"

Archived