Brewer Fanatic

Gagne said he doesn't deserve to pitch the 9th, removed from role (reply #40), says he's ready to be the closer again (reply #81)

I came here expecting this to be the hot topic, but I've yet to read about it on the internet. I was listening to the 540 postgame and they played the audio of Gagne speaking to their reporter CJ Nee (sp). At one point during the interview Gagne said he doesn't deserve to be pitching the 9th. He also said the when he goes out there he cannot see anything but bad outcomes. Saying that it's not pitch selection, execution, velocity, etc. He just has no confidence. He expects bad results on every pitch thrown.

Looks like Gagne just made the decision for Yost. Yet another instance where the players have to tell Yost how they should be used. Where is the communication with this ballclub?

(added reply number to amended thread title --1992)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Gagne just made the decision for Yost.

That's pretty sad. When a guy has to make a public plea through the media, just to get across something that 99.999% of people can see obviously with their own two eyes (I think we know who the exception is), that shows what kind of a state of disarray things are in.

Verified Member
I give him credit for showing accountability. I actually felt bad for him as I heard him speak on the radio. It's been a rough stretch for him since going to Boston. I appreciate his honesty. It's better than the usual garbage we hear from Ned about how everything is fine.

People booing him before he throws a pitch can't help his confidence.

He's a veteran, former Cy Young closer who has been around the league for many years.

I'm not justifying booing him before he even pitches, I don't like that, but if he can't do his job because of a few boos in Milwaukee for 5 blown saves after pitching in L.A. and Boston, then his psyche isn't any stronger than Turnbow's.

Jason Isringhausen did the same thing yesterday with the Cardinals. He said that he wasnt good enough right now to be the closer. I totally respect both Gagne and Isringhausen for their honesty. I actually think that Gagne has had a lot of bad luck and should be taken out of the role temporarily until he gets his confidence back. I still think he can get the job done once he does get it back.

I seriously doubt the booing effects a veteran pitcher like Gagne.

What do you do with him?

Remove him from the closer role for now, and somehow he has to get that confidence back in himself. I believe it's up to Gagne to get his head straight, the coaching staff can't do that for him.

...but if he can't do his job because of a few boos in Milwaukee for 5 blown saves after pitching in L.A. and Boston, then his psyche isn't any stronger than Turnbow's.
I don't think there is evidence right now that his psyche is stronger than Turnbow. That is one of the problems. He doesn't have confidence in his ability to do the job. Having people tell you that you stink doesn't help you stop believing that you stink.

(edit: nested quote --1992)

My respect for Gagne just went up. Just as I got off the bus. I appreciate him for not making excuses or giving baseball cliche's. Hopefully his acknowledgment that his play is sub par he'll turn it around like Riske recently did.

Having people tell you that you stink doesn't help you stop believing that you stink.
I'm pretty sure he knows he stinks right now, regardless of what anyone else says. He pretty much came out and said it himself.

Is he having confidence issues? Sure, maybe, that's pretty natural when you're stinking up the joint. Most of the lineup probably has confidence issues right now. But confidence isn't his biggest issue -- his biggest issue is simply that he's just not as good or dangerous of a pitcher as he once was.

(edit: nested quote --1992)

Gagne officially lost me today. I never thought he'd be great here, but I thought signing him was probably the best option available at the time, and it's Mark A's money.

I give up, I gotta have less Gagne.

From the JSOnline article: "You guys know me. I take a long time to analyze things. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt and try to make the decision that's best for everybody. I don't make rash, quick, off-the-handle decisions."

What about making decisions that WIN BALLGAMES Ned? Sometimes the benefit of the doubt doesn't work and you have to play the "what have you done for me lately" game.

From the JSOnline article: "You guys know me. I take a long time to analyze things. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt and try to make the decision that's best for everybody. I don't make rash, quick, off-the-handle decisions."

But that's exactly what you need to do during games Ned. You have to be reactive and proactive. You can't wait until after the game to decide what you should have done.

Verified Member

"You guys know me. I take a long time to analyze things. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt and try to make the decision that's best for everybody. I don't make rash, quick, off-the-handle decisions."

Maybe we need to hire someone who can figure things out FASTER.

It took Yost over a year and a half before he figured out that Chad Moeller was terrible. It took him way too long to figure out that Joe Dillon was a better option than Geoff Jenkins. It takes Ned a long time to figure out when Turnbow doesn't have his good stuff.

For someone who is paid to be an expert, that's completely unacceptable.

Archived