Brewer Fanatic

NL Central's Closers

jjfanec

Obviously, it has been rough with Gagne struggling, but I was talking to a friend about the state of the closers in the Central and it seemed everyone was struggling. I decided to check some stats. Cordero and Capps are both perfect and in there now (I messed it up at first)

Gagne 14 save opp with 9 saves, 5 blown saves and a save percentage of 64

Isringhausen 16 save opp with 11 saves, 5 blown saves and a save percentage of 69

Wood 9 save opp with 6 saves, 3 blown saves and a save percentage of 67

Velverde 10 save opp with 7 saves, and 3 blown saves and a save percentage of 70

Capps 8 save opp with 8 saves, and 0 blown saves and a save percentage of 100

Cordero 5 save opp with 5 saves, and 0 blown saves and a save percentage of 100

I have put Cordero in there now. I cant get it to line up for easy readability, but oh well. If you look further into the numbers St. Louis has 9 total blown saves. The Brewers have 7. The Cubs have 6. The Astros have 4. The Pirates have 1 and Cincy has 0.

Interesting that the two last place teams have the best save percentage and lowest about of blown saves.

Interesting that the two last place teams have the best save percentage and lowest about of blown saves.

Less save chances means less saves to blow.

While CoCo hasn't blown one in Cincy yet, he hasn't exactly been great, either. He's walked 10 guys and given up 9 hits in 13 innings. He's just been lucky that most of the hits he's given up have been singles. His last appearance (May 5th against the Cubs) was extremely close to being a blown save:

Top 9th: Chi Cubs

- R. Freel in left field
- F. Cordero relieved D. Weathers
- C. Patterson in center field
- M. Fontenot singled to left center
- F. Pie singled to left center, M. Fontenot to second
- D. Ward hit for K. Wood
- D. Ward lined out to center
- A. Soriano walked, M. Fontenot to third, F. Pie to second
- M. Fontenot out at home, F. Pie to third, A. Soriano to second
- R. Theriot walked
- D. Lee grounded out to first

The only thing that really saved him in that game was Fontenot stupidly trying to score on a wild pitch that had him dead at the plate.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
Verified Member
So the Cardinals put Isringhausen on the DL for a cut on his hand. Seriously, you have to wonder about this. Someone took a table knife, scratched his hand just enough for some blood to show up, and good! we can give him a little break, then send him to the minors on a nice long rehab assignment to work on his stuff without hurting the team!

So the Cardinals put Isringhausen on the DL for a cut on his hand. Seriously, you have to wonder about this. Someone took a table knife, scratched his hand just enough for some blood to show up, and good! we can give him a little break, then send him to the minors on a nice long rehab assignment to work on his stuff without hurting the team!

Supposedly he punched a clubhouse tv after he got shelled again.

Archived