Brewer Fanatic

5/10/08 Cardinals (Piniero) at Brewers (Sheets): 2:40 PM CDT

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We squeezed to stay out of the double play, when the Cardinals had their infield in.

I kept thinking that Gagne is close because he doesn't give up a lot of hard hit balls. But in reality he is a trick pitch guy now. He can't be an effective closer until he can get something out of his fastball. I think we have enough good arms in our bullpen to hold and save a game without using Gagne.

Why did we play for one run in the 8th when our closer is struggling?

Gagne's been the victim of some bad situations, but he's more often made them for himself

C'mon....the guys ERA is nearly 7 with a WHIP coming up on 2. He flat out sucks. Sure he may have been squeezed a little in Houston, but he has been terrible.

Gagne's been the victim of some bad situations, but he's more often made them for himself

C'mon....the guys ERA is nearly 7 with a WHIP coming up on 2. He flat out sucks. Sure he may have been squeezed a little in Houston, but he has been terrible.

Hence the "more often made them for himself" part.

I can think of at least two games where he's been the victim of bad calls and/or bad defense. I'm not making excuses for the guy; that's what happened.

But yeah, he's not been good regardless.

Today I'm equally as disgusted with our run production.

Saw this coming a week ago.

You only saw it just a week ago?

Everytime Gagne comes into a fresh 9th inning, it has to be a dramatic production.... I'm going to look up his pitch counts for his last few appearances...

35(BS), 14, 21, 12, 20, 17, 27 (BS) , 14 (0.0 IP, 3ER, BS, L)

We may have squeezed to stay out of the double play but if Kendall hit the same hit he did to get out we would have scored a run. He hit a nice hit chopper, in which he got thrown out but no way they turn two and no way they get the out at home

Never once have i called for Yost to get fired, but more and more I think it may actually be better off for the brewers to continue to struggle so that Yost does get canned. Not only does he make quiet a few managing mistakes, but he really does seem to be loyal to a fault. I understand players love this trait, but it seems to often hurt the team as a whole more than it helps. There is absolutely no reason for Gagne to be closing/pitching in high pressure situations anymore, especially since the rest of the bullpen has been very good.

If Ned comes on in his postgame presser and starts talking about how Gagne was "throwing the ball real good, they (the Cardinals) were just seeing the ball well and dumping it where we weren't" I'm going to burn the rest of this year's tickets in my backyard tonight.

We got some really awesome ticket packages donated by a couple of businesses for our charity softball tournament again this year. A few more games like this and we won't get as many people eager to join that fundraiser (I really hope the poor playing/coaching performance doesn't affect the gift we are able to make to a local children's charity).

Live from the MP parking lot:

This is the first time I've ever felt like I wasted money coming down. Even in the Lopes and Royster years, I was OK with bad baseball, becasue I expected it. And when they won it was a surprising bonus. Today was just a giant letdown. This team is in need of a serious shakeup. Until the 9th, this team pitched about as well as it can. And I'm tired of hearing "the bats will come around". They'll get better, but I doubt that they will just start putting up 7 runs a game, too. STL has tried to give away 2 games, and the Crew has only had the ability to accept 1 gift, and that by the skin of its teeth.

Today's boos were just yesterday's deferred boos. I think there will be a bad atmosphere at MP for quite a while this season. Barring an unlikely and unexpected dramtic turnaround to wrap up this homestand and then Boston and the always "fun" trip to PIT looming, MP crowds will probably be ugly until they are served at least one head on a platter.

I'm not big on the booing your own team. At all.. but I think it was a lot of drunk frustration. Being a sold out high drunk ratio outing, you knew the boos were coming. Lots of Anti-Yost talking, it's making it's way into the main stream baseball conversation.

It's one game, lets just hope that it's the fluke unlike last nights. But I'm officially off the Gagne bus, he looked pretty poor again. But what else can we do with a 10 million hand cuff?

The cameras did show a rather large crowded headed across the bridge to the parking lot when they came back to start the bottom of the inning. Didn't notice anything after the second batter, but didn't look like it took long after the run-scoring hit.

Archived