Brewer Fanatic

Lance Berkman vs. Prince Fielder

StatPipes

I am bringing this topic into discussion because of some assessments made by those on this board the last couple of years. I know last year and the beginning of this year there have been those who are adamant about rather having Prince over Berkman (if there was a choice of course, I know this is a hypothetical). And I just can't bring myself to understand it. Berkman to me has been underrated his whole career.I know we all think he is a good hitter, but I dont believe people realize how good.

The guy has 20 hits in his last 32 at-bats, that is just crazy. Absolutely raking. Last year was supposedly a down year for him, and he still hit .278 with 34 HR and 102 RBI. He will undoubtedly surpass those this year.

So my question is, who do you take? (Especially TooLive...you usually seem to make good arguments, but you can't possibly make one on this...or prove me wrong)

Not counting age and salary, because if we were counting age we would take Craig Counsell over Ted Williams...

He will undoubtedly surpass those this year.

It is way to early to say "undoubtedly" about anything.

As for who I would take as of right now, age and salary not included, I would take Fielder. If we take their stats over the last year, they are very similar offensively. Prince is getting better in the field. I also feel like he has a much higher ceiling. I love Berkman, the NL central is stacked with studs at 1B, but right now my pecking order is Pujols, Fielder, Lee, Berkman, Votto, LaRoche.

well as of right now, he is at .380, 12HR, and 35 RBIs .461 OBP

Year Avg. HR RBI OBP

2001 .331 34 126 .430

2002 .292 42 128 .405

2003 .288 25 93 .412

2004 .316 30 106 .450

2005 .293 24 82 .411 (missed first month with torn ACL recovery)

2006 .315 45 136 .420

2007 .278 34 102 .386

C'mon zzzman 4th best 1st baseman in the NL Central? This just proves he has been underrated compared to other first baseman. Look at these numbers again

Oh, and he has already stolen 6 bases this year. I know he isn't a base stealer, but he also isn't some piece of lard lying around 1st base either.

I do not see how he is underated. He was rookie of the year in 2000, has been to 4 all-star games, finished in the top 5 of the MVP three times, and in the top 3 twice. As far as who is better, I would take Prince just because all things are not equal. I dont think it is fair to judge people without taking into consideration things like their age.

I just don't understand the Prince defense is improving vibe. Back to back innings in last night's game the SS threw one hoppers to first and Prince doesn't reach out for it but makes a swipe while Albert makes a nice backhand stab. Error on Hardy inning continues while a taller firstbaseman or one who reaches out further would have had an easy short hop. That is something Prince can't help but it is a huge detriment to this team. 50 HR's you live the detriment but with so many close games and the pitchers not getting deep into games his defense needs to be factored in.

I take Fielder over Berkman now because of age/potential. However, that being said this year Berkman is much more all-star worthy than Prince. Truthfully, Ben Sheets is the only Brewer worthy of the All-Star team this season. Prince should not make the team based on performance, as there are 3 better performances at first base this year in his own division: Lee, Pujols, Berkman.

Berkman is most certainly at best the 3rd best 1B in the division, I'd take Pujols and Lee over him every time. Fielder vs Berkman it just comes down to potential vs proven. I think Fielder has the potential to put up Berkman's best season year in and year out. But if I had to pick one just for this year I'd take Berkman for sure.

how do you wish to view Prince? the struggles this season? The unprecedented HR production at such a young age last year? You gotta give a guy a lot of credit for doing something that is unprecedented. If you are talking about which 1b to have going forward, you have to think prince or pujols. For this one season, you could pretty much pick any 1b in the division other than Prince. I still wouldn't be surprised if Prince ends up at .300 with 45 HR.

Im not viewing the struggles of Prince this year, more just the way Berkman seems to fly under the radar. I know people know he is a good hitter, I just don't think people realize how good.

Take the last 2 years:

Berkman AVG HR RBI OBP

2006 .315 45 136 .420

2007 .278 34 102 .386

Fielder

2006 .271 28 81 .347

2007 .288 50 119 .395

Last year was the first time Berkman's OBP fell below .400 since 2000. And taking in to account what Berkman did his 5 years before this(posted earlier)and now the start of this year, I just don't see how you can say Prince (or even Lee) just based on potential. Pure, raw power, maybe. But with everything included, I just don't understand the rationale.

Berkman is a below average defensive 1B, Lee is a gold glove 1B. I'd expect pretty close offensive numbers from each of them now that Lee's wrist is healthy. Lee is a better baserunner.

Berkman vs Fielder is going to come down to what you are looking for just like everyone has said. If you are talking which one would I rather have over the next say 5 years I'd say Fielder without hesitation. If you are talking just this year I'd go with Berkman every time. Fielder is in his up and coming stage and Berkman is entering his decline stage.

I wouldn't agree that Berkman is below average...He was below average when he played center,obviously, but at first he pretty decent.

Ok then this, if you were guaranteed the numbers Berkman has put up the last 7 years for Prince, would you take it? Because if you do then you can't say you would rather have Fielder. Just opinion of course.

Ok then this, if you were guaranteed the numbers Berkman has put up the last 7 years for Prince, would you take it? Because if you do then you can't say you would rather have Fielder. Just opinion of course.

what? that doesn't make any sense to me. Berkmann isn't going to put up the same numbers in the next 7 seasons that he put up in the last 7.

No, if Prince were guaranteed those numbers from Berkman's last 7 years. If you are saying you would rather have Prince, you would have to be willing to say that you would not accept those numbers, for the reasoning that Prince would put up better numbers.

I realize age difference, that is why I mentioned that in the opening statement.

Archived