Brewer Fanatic

Can Jonathan Lucroy be our catcher of the future?

Admittedly, I didnt pay alot of attention to him last year, until the Hawaiian League. I was impressed with his numbers everywhere though.

In exhibition play this year, I forget how many, but I think he hit 3 dingers, with 2 in one game, and was looking real good. Starting off the year with some doubles in West Virginia, and pretty much staying above .300 was making me happy, and now he's hit 3 homers in, what, a week? A little over?

But what I don't know is his defense. When I listen to Power games, which is becoming more frequent, I don't notice anyone stealing, and I don't notice any pass balls or anything.

Should I be thinking that it's Possible for him to be the man? Are there any reasons I shouldn't be thinking that?

From everything I have heard Lucroy is very solid behind the plate, and the pitchers apparently like it when he is behind the plate. MILB.com report from last years draft says that he has an above average arm and solid skills all around. MILB.com is not always the most accurate on every player, but I have heard similiar reviews. Offensivley he is very good, just about everyone ranked him as the second best offensive catcher behind Matt Wieters in last years draft.

a common phenomena in the minors are catchers that hit well in the low minors, but disappear at AA. So, it will be wait and see until he gets to huntsville. It's gratifying that salome is raking at huntsville.

The Brewers absolutely think Lucroy may have a future as their starter, which is why they sent him to Hawaii last winter. There's still a lot of distance between Lucroy and Milwaukee, but yes, it does look like the team has two solid prospects at catcher. You know when a college catcher is taken in round three, he's going to get every chance to prove he can do it.

Lucroy does not have the upside of Salome, but he doesn't have a suspension in his past either. I think if he does make it to MLB, he won't be great at anything, but he'll be above average at most things. A catcher who can get it done defensively, (even if he isn't dominant there) and who provides 15 HR on offense, is absolutely a major league starter.

Heck, in today's game, that's almost a stud.

Lucroy entered the draft last year with questions about his defense, and he really struggled to throw out runners in college. After signing with the Brewers, Lucroy worked with roving catching instructor Charlie Greene, and improved the mechanics and footwork of his throws. Despite what BA desribes as a slightly below average arm, Lucroy threw out 43% of runners last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Johnny Bench Award

National Collegiate Catcher of the Year

2007 Semi-Finalists' Stats

AVG HR OB% SLG FLD% CSB% Catcher College
0.352 8 0.478 0.593 0.991 0.380 Mitch Canham Oregon State
0.335 10 0.452 0.565 0.997 0.490 Joel Collins South Alabama
0.419 10 0.469 0.645 0.972 0.262 Lars Davis Illinois
0.371 12 0.460 0.620 0.993 0.348 Edward Easley Mississippi State
0.352 12 0.426 0.588 0.993 0.366 Alex Garabedian College of Charleston
0.350 5 0.434 0.493 0.991 0.420 Chris Gradoville Creighton
0.320 5 0.383 0.495 0.989 0.190 Trent Kline South Carolina
0.381 2 0.446 0.509 0.993 0.432 Buster Posey Florida State
0.305 9 0.364 0.503 1.000 0.417 Tyler Weber Wichita State
0.368 10 0.492 0.622 0.995 0.328 Matt Wieters Georgia Tech

Reference:

http://members.tripod.com/bb_catchers/catchers/jbaward_2007.htm

===========================================================================================

Louisiana-Lafayette

2007 Season Statistics

0.360 18 0.489 0.659 0.989 .304 Jonathan Lucroy Louisiana - Lafayette

Reference:

http://www.ragincajuns.com/fls/15400/stats/baseball/2007/teamcume.htm?ATCLID=811310&SPSID=67294&SPID=7572&DB_OEM_ID=15400

That's interesting, SunGrasses, thanks. In case anyone was wondering what happened to the other catchers on that list:

Mitch Canham (1st round - Padres) [#57 overall]

Joel Collins (10 - Blue Jays) [brewers picked C Eric Fryer in the 10th round, 14 picks earlier]

Lars Davis (3 - Rockies) [The pick right after Lucroy]

Ed Easley (1 - Diamondbacks) [#61 overall]

Alex Garabedian (8 - Dodgers)

Chris Gradoville (24 - Rangers)

Trent Kline (49 - Giants) [did not sign]

Tyler Weber - undrafted

Matt Wieters (1 - Orioles) [#5 overall]

Looking at all those numbers makes me think that Lucroy threw out a good percentage of runners in college. I don't really know what a good percentage would be (100%!!!), but he seems to fit in fairly well with the best in the nation.

But I do know one thing, he has improved tremendously under the instruction of Charlie Green. So much so, that he doesn't look like the same player as a year ago.

Looking at all those numbers makes me think that Lucroy threw out a good percentage of runners in college. I don't really know what a good percentage would be (100%!!!), but he seems to fit in fairly well with the best in the nation.

CS% of over about 33% is good. It depends a lot on your pitching staff being able to hold runners, though.

Do we have a sense of how the Brewers plan to progress Lucroy through the minors? Is a promotion to A+ a possibility this season or will they let him go one level at a time? I seem to remember that Salome was promoted from WV to Brevard last season so perhaps the same may hold true for Lucroy is he continues to play well?

I can't say what the Brewers actual plans are, but Lucroy was a college catcher, as opposed to Salome being a high school guy, so I'd have to figure he'd progress faster.

Salome is a week older than Lucroy, too. Not that that matters, but it's kinda neat. (Salome 6/8/86, Lucroy 6/13/86) I'd like to think they are on the same level, even being at different levels.

I'd expect to see Lucroy go to Brevard this year though.

I will, however, miss the Jack Jackety Jacks. Not just from hearing it from the announcer, but because Brevard tends to keep them in the park. :-)

It could be a pretty close, interesting race to see who could be our homegrown catcher. I like em both

• 3 years later...

It's nice to see "Lou" (as I've heard him called in the dugout during broadcasts) hitting this well. Listening to RRR's 'explanation' of why he might someday be a good #2 hitter, but is currently better utilized as #8, was incredibly painful. Get out of your own way, Ron!

Nice to see him hitting well also because I don't think his arm is anything special for a catcher. He does seem to block the ball pretty well, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

Nice to see him hitting well also because I don't think his arm is anything special for a catcher. He does seem to block the ball pretty well, though.

Agree on that. The only thing he really doesn't seem to do well is throw the ball. He moves around well and has a nice bat for a catcher. More power than I would expect this year. Really looking forward to what he can do this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

this is a guy who hit 20 jacks a few years ago split between two levels in the minors...he's got power...and a great eye at the plate...i seriously doubt he stays a his current levels all year, bu anything north of a .700 ops from a starting catcher would be the best thing we've had since damian miller...and really a lot longer

Archived