Brewer Fanatic

Melvin: McClung May Get A Start

Melvin was on 1250 a little while ago. No "big" news. He said he was considering having McClung make a start. He said that he is having a meeting with Yost and the coaching staff "after this weekend" to determine whether any changes need to be made and whether any changes would be made "internally" or "externally". He didn't sound like a guy who was pondering making a change in managers.

i'd rather go with weaver if we want to shake up the rotation. His second start was much better than the first. I like McClung in his mop up role and wouldn't be comfortable bringing him in to start or in clutch situation.

I don't see how McClung could go more than 4 innings. He goes pretty deep in counts and hasn't pitched long outings in what, a couple of years

McClung was a starter in the minors for parts of last year. I personally would leave him where he is since he's having a certain level of success. I think a lot of his struggles in the majors have been because he's been tossed around in so many roles...now that he has one that works for him it might get switched?

People thought i was crazy in the chat when I brought this idea up.

In all fairness you were crazy, we didn't think Doug would follow suit http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I hear ya. With the way Bush is pitching this year, McClung can't be much worse. Vargas would be even better.

If by success you mean his 6.32 BB/9 is meaningless because it comes in games already decided, sure!

Can you be any more condescending?

If you look back at previous posts about McClung, there were quite a few people that had their doubts about him and those that didn't want any part of him being on the Brewers. I think he's shown he's at least servicable and contrary to your condescending post McClung has pitched in games that were not decided and pitched well in those spots. Has McClung struggled with his control in his career? Yes, but I'm not going to totally discount what he's done by looking at some stat and then declaring his games were all decided that he pitched in.

I think it's a safer bet to look at his career work, instead of one or two or three games/IP.

I don't disagree with you there. I'm not saying McClung is anything or will ever be more than an average pitcher. I do think though that Tampa moving him around from a starter to relief to closer didn't work out for Seth. I am all for giving him a consistent role and I'd imagine he'd perform the best where he's at right now. He has pitched better in his role with the Brewers than he previously did with the Rays, but we don't know how much of that is due to a small sample size. I'm especially intrigued by his Ks/9 and seeing how that plays out with more innings.

I do think though that Tampa moving him around from a starter to relief to closer didn't work out for Seth.

Heehee -- I love irony. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif From what I've read about that switch, the decision came largely because Seth didn't work out enough.

I'm especially intrigued by his Ks/9 and seeing how that plays out with more innings.

He Ks a lot of guys, but unfortunately he offsets a lot of that value by BBing a ton of guys too. To give him even more innings in which to walk guys is something I don't think is a good idea. I'd much rather take my chances with Bush (with a competent manager) & co. than start giving Seth starts. I think he can be very useful in the mop-up role.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He did also mention that Weaver would probably get a chance as well. Just a matter of getting him another start or two down in AAA to get him extended so he is able to pitch deep into ball games. I'm actually looking forward to Weaver getting a shot because although he was awful last season in Seattle he was pretty darn good in 2004 and 2005 in LA and in 2006 while in St. Louis. I just think he is worth the chance since no one else other then Sheets has done squat anyway.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If by success you mean his 6.32 BB/9 is meaningless because it comes in games already decided, sure!

I know success is a relative term, but McClung's innings at least have had endings -- which some other pitchers have had trouble with. I think he is just fine pitching the innings he is currently pitching, and shouldn't be in the rotation.

He Ks a lot of guys, but unfortunately he offsets a lot of that value by BBing a ton of guys too.

I should've probably clarified my post. In terms of the added innings I'm thinking continuing his current role and increasing the sample size. I personally don't want to see him as a starter since I think if he gets a role for the entire year in the bigs I could get a better idea of his true talent level. I know he's finally starting to feel 100% healthly (he had tommy john surgery 2003 and missed most of 2004).

I should've probably clarified my post. In terms of the added innings I'm thinking continuing his current role and increasing the sample size. I personally don't want to see him as a starter since I think if he gets a role for the entire year in the bigs I could get a better idea of his true talent level. I know he's finally starting to feel 100% healthly (he had tommy john surgery 2003 and missed most of 2004).

Ok, now I gotcha. Yes, he might BB less than his career norms as a RP, but I'd be more inclined to see any dip as more related to a RP sample size than an improvement in talent. No, I'm not just looking for ways to be negative.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived