Brewer Fanatic

4/17/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Belisle): 6:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

So just because I don't like Ned Yost and don't think this team will ever make the playoffs with him at the helm...I am jumping off the bridge??? I have been making these same comments for the last 2 + seasons.

Bigredrob, I didn't know we weren't allowed to blame bad managing and Ned Yost for obvious mistakes he makes. Sorry about that.....Can I still be a Brewer fan?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Can I still be a Brewer fan?

I don't know, can you?

Grow up. Nobody was saying anything about not criticising the Brewers, but the constant rips on the manager in situations in which one of the highly-paid players screwed up, are getting really old. Already.

It doesn't matter one bit what I, or anyone else says, the Yost haters will only see the plays that justify their agenda.

It's funny that some of the same people clamouring for T-Bow instead of Aquino were more than willing to run him out of town not so long ago.

Aaaah hindsight. It cures all ills...

So being that he has already let inherited runners score, Ned should have at the very least, had someone up behind him

The more I think about this, the sillier it is that Ned didn't just have Turnbow pitch 1.1. We're talking about 5-ish pitches, why mess around with some guy who hasn't been that great with inherited runners? Just put the nail in the coffin and be done with it, don't mess around.

It's funny that some of the same people clamouring for T-Bow instead of Aquino were more than willing to run him out of town not so long ago.

What bothered me was that Yost did not have anyone up in the pen, -- I think why people were "clamouring" for T-bow, was primarily because he is our designated "8th inning guy". If Dessens was our 8th inning guy, I think people would have been "clamouring" for him.

In any case it was painfully obvious that Yost put all his eggs in the Aquino basket, and if the Reds would have PH for Stanton, he still might be on the mound. Aquino wasn't going to get anyone out.

It was bad pitcher handling by Yost -- and as soon as Turnbow has some trade value, he gets moved.

So Joey are you the know all? I don't spend as much time as you on this website but I am still going to give my opinion. The problem is that most disagree because they are not realistic and get angry any time we lose. That is a fact. Every game we lose has a thread filled with fire yost, send a player down, etc...

For this instance I will take what you said. He should have had someone up. This is where I see the "fan" come out and the "realistic" part left behind. Turnbow is our 8th inning guy, and Coco is the closer. Wise is usually our 7th inning guy but had pitched the last two days and we didn't want to use him. He could have but was not prefered. Anyways, the guy chosen was Aquino and his job was to get one out. The only guy that should have been up was turnbow getting ready for the 8th. So Aquino goes into the game and walks one and then we were supposed to pull him? That is not going to happen very often. Then by the third guy we may have been ready to bring someone in but in the big leagues managers tend to let the guy get out of his own mess. A manager has to face his players everyday and there can be some emotions involved in the decision making process.

So one guy failed and we lost the game. That's part of it. Tonight Wise will be available. But if Wise gives up a hit, people will still complain the other direction and say that Turnbow or someone else should have been put in. It a no win situation. Yost or someone is going to be blamed. Aquino's job is to get outs later in games. If he can't do his job, he will be gone. DM and Yost just try to put the best possible people in these positions. Yost did what he has mapped out and will do the same thing in a bit. Whether or not it's Aquino or not is up in the air.

The problem is that most disagree because they are not realistic and get angry any time we lose.

Incorrect. The problem is, is that you see your opinion as "realistic" and others as "unrealistic" -- I have said this many times, baseball is not a game of wrong and right it's a game of playing probabilities.

As evidenced by this:

For this instance I will take what you said. He should have had someone up. This is where I see the "fan" come out and the "realistic" part left behind.

You dismiss my opinion as being "fan/emotional" rather than the "reality" that you seem to enjoy.

Turnbow is our 8th inning guy, and Coco is the closer.

Why -- Is this anywhere in granite? Why can't Turnbow be our 7.2 inning guy for one game?

Wise is usually our 7th inning guy but had pitched the last two days and we didn't want to use him. He could have but was not prefered.

I would have preferred Wise to pitch to one batter than let Aquino get shelled.

So Aquino goes into the game and walks one and then we were supposed to pull him?

Incorrect. He gave up a hit. Then he threw a WP which forced a IBB, He then walked Gonzalez on 4 pitches, and then gave up a 3 run single. It was obvious to me during the Gonzalez AB, the only player Aquino had a chance of retiring was Stanton.

big leagues managers tend to let the guy get out of his own mess.

If this is in fact true with Yost, I'd fire him tomorrow.

A manager has to face his players everyday and there can be some emotions involved in the decision making process.

Last time I checked Yost is in charge, if Yost is worried about what Aquino might say after his performance, I would fire Yost yesterday.

So one guy failed and we lost the game.

Incorrect. Hall failed, Aquino failed, Weeks failed, Yost failed. 5 run innings are rarely the fault of one player.

But if Wise gives up a hit, people will still complain the other direction and say that Turnbow or someone else should have been put in.

I think if you read more carefully, that most people are concerned that Yost did not even give himself the option of having someone ready. Some nights a reliever is not going to get people out, I wouldn't have cared if Yost brought Bill Castro in, but Aquino was def. not doing well. Personally, I would have been fine if he would have brought in Wise/Turnbow/Dessens etc.

It a no win situation. Yost or someone is going to be blamed.

Exactly. When you lose it is a no-win situation.

Yost did what he has mapped out and will do the same thing in a bit.

If he does, I hope he has his resume updated.

Well Yost doesn't have to have his resume ready because he is doing his job well and a bunch of people on a website have nothing to do with his job. The opinions here are not "realistic" and I know this because I know people who do this and have been involved myself for a period of years. All managers have "feelings" for their players and it does play a part. But in this case, Yost did what he is supposed to do and becuase a guy couldn't get an out we lost. Its not his fault and it will work many other times.

I would have preferred Wise to pitch to one batter than let Aquino get shelled.

Wouldn't we all! Always easy to say after the fact. Wise is not going to pitch everyday. Why can you not understand that? We lost and we will find a guy who can get an out if Aquino cannot.

The opinions here are not "realistic" and I know this because I know people who do this and have been involved myself for a period of years.

Egads, -- this is always your hailmary, glad you got it out of your holster.

Wise is not going to pitch everyday.

I didn't say it had to be Wise.

Why can you not understand that? We lost and we will find a guy who can get an out if Aquino cannot.

I know where Ned should look -- in the bullpen, he should choose the guy that is warming up. If there is not a guy warming up, he should have Mike call Bill, and say "Hey, is there someone warming up?, -- If not it would be super cool if someone could start warming up, Aquino isn't going to get anyone out here."

I will make a call and let it be known how Ned should do it. Let's see if he takes your advice seeing he obviously has learned nothing during his many years of coaching. I doubt the response will be good but I will try. All of our problems are solved. All Ned needed to do is look into his ball and see that Aquino wasnt going to get that out. Its always so easy.

And yes you did say you wanted Wise rather than seeing Aquino get shelled. Your words not mine. Or you can just move to another pitcher after someone gives up a hit tonight. Always easy sitting in the chair at home.

I will make a call and let it be known how Ned should do it. Let's see if he takes your advice seeing he obviously has learned nothing during his many years of coaching.

Awesome -- let's wratchet this up a notch. I agree that he has learned nothing during his many years of coaching. Let me know how your call goes -- although -- don't call from the bullpen, that phone doesn't seem to work.

All Ned needed to do is look into his ball and see that Aquino wasnt going to get that out. Its always so easy.

Actually I would have prefered he would have looked into a monitor or on the diamond, where he could have observed Aquino really laboring -- It wasn't one guy either -- it was everybody but the pitcher.

And yes you did say you wanted Wise rather than seeing Aquino get shelled. Your words not mine.

No more correctly -- I said I would have wanted to see anyone, if Wise was ready -- I would have preferred to see him out there, but Dessens, Turnbow, CoCo, any of those cats would have fit the bill for me.

Or you can just move to another pitcher after someone gives up a hit tonight. Always easy sitting in the chair at home.

Again -- it wasn't one hit -- It was a hit, a WP, a IBB, a bases-loaded walk, another hit. The call was easy from my chair or from the dugout. Ned choked.

Archived