Brewer Fanatic

4/17/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Belisle): 6:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Perhaps it's nothing, but Aquino's half-hearted, lollipop underhand toss to Prince to finally end the inning I found to be as disheartening and telling of his makeup as his pitching. Not the actions I want to see out of a ballplayer; reminded me of my 8-year old when things don't go her way. I don't even tolerate it from her.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same ol' Brewers

I don't know everyone else felt, but I did not feel safe at 5-4 in the 6th, no matter what Yost would've done. I don't blame Yost for bringing in Aquino at all. The Reds really wanted this game tonight, you could tell by the players' reactions.

It's one loss. 4-3 road trip is okay by me, sure we had a good shot of taking this one tonight, but you aren't going to win all of your one run games going into the late innings.

Turnbow has pitched once in the last 5 days, why couldnt he work 1.1? As its already clear to all of us, Aquino works much better if hes coming into a game with the bases empty. Even after he makes the poor decision to bring in Aquino in a high pressure situation, how the hell does he NOT get up tbow or dessens behind him? Especially after he gave up the game tying run. All that said, nice job by Shouse making Jr and Dunn look foolish.

Turnbow has pitched once in the last 5 days, why couldnt he work 1.1?

Because like most managers,Yost is a slave to certain roles for guys in the bullpen.If it's not the beginning of the 8th inning in a close game,Turnbow isn't allowed to pitch.It's very silly and annoying.

For that to happen, you'd have to have double switched out Weeks, Hardy, Hall, or Prince.

Why? #1 he could have double switched and brought in graffy if it was that important. #2 (more onorthadox) Why not just let turnbow bat? Its no different than every single time ben sheets bats, actually i take that back...its probably better than when sheets bats. With the way T-bow and Cordero are working right now, we wouldn't of needed anything more than our 1 run lead anyway. I suppose it's all easy to talk about now after the fact but Yost has had a ton of questionable in game moves the past couple of years. I know it would never happen, but I think we would be better off with Maddux calling all the shots when it comes to bullpen moves (I guess i really actually dont know how much imput he does have currently). That being said....Cappellan should be up for Dessens

Yost got asked that question about Wise. He said he WAS available. He's always available. Just not tonight. He said that. Yost was bitter and angry during the interview. He knows it. We all know. There really is no defense for what Yost did tonight.

As for the blue font. I don't think anyone really questions anything besides his terrible pitching decisions. Seriously, it's getting old how bad Yost is with the pitching changes. What could have Maddux possibly told Aquino...how about "sorry "! How could Yost have no one up in the pen?

I missed the last three innings and so I didn't have to personally suffer through the torture when all hell broke loose. I guess I will say that a 4-3 road trip is nice and that the bullpen has been pretty good this season. So I am not going to freak out over one meltdown. It was bound to happen eventually.

Maybe if I had actually watched those last innings, I might be more angry right now. But right now I am cool with things.

People who were watching this game can't honestly tell me that after Aquino threw his 8th straight ball to Adrian Gonzales, they were thinking, "Boy let's leave Aquino in for one more batter". His pitches were erratic and way out of the strike zone. I know I was thinking, "I wonder who's warming up in the bullpen".

I don't mean to get defensive, but I dare you to find a post were I have blamed Yost or any Brewer for a loss, but it bothers me that some move wasn't made to the bullpen in this close of a game. All we needed was one out, and a fresh arm like Turnbow could have recorded that out. I will blame a manager for not making a decision that most managers, and even most people watching the game, would have made.

Quote:
This team will not be a playoff team with Nedly Yost running the show. At the same time, you can't use Wise, Turnbow and Cordero everynight. Other pitchers have to step up. Time for Capallean to come back to MIlwaukee.

Way to contradict yourself within your post.

I'm so looking forward to the rest of the season on this board.

Every win = "Go Rickie/Prince/Sheeter/Billy"

Every loss = "Yost is the worst manager ever, I can't believe he did X"

The selective memory capabilities are quite astounding sometimes. Maybe the entire bullpen should warm up every night in case someone forgets how to do their job after 2 pitches and needs the hook.

Barely a mention about the aggressive decisions made earlier in the game that gave us the freakin' lead for Aquino and Dessens to blow in the first place.

My head hurts. As much from some of the posts here after 13 games, as from the Crew.

Quote:
The Yost decisions have been and it seems, always be on the pitching side. He had NO ONE warming up. Aquino or bust. That's bad managing. He also said Wise was available but he wasn't.

Oh for goodness sake, relax, Francis. We are 13 games in - you'll have a seizure at this rate.

Surely it would only have been an issue had Wise been available and he said he wasn't, not vice versa. Simple fact is, Wise cannot pitch 3 days in a row, he just can't and wishing he could doesn't make it more likely to happen.

Having used Shouse on 2/3rds of the inning, Aquino had 1 man to get out - 1!

There's not a manager in the game would have had extra guys warming up in case he failed to do that.

T-Bow would start warming up in the Brewers half of the 8th, and I'm sorry but you can't convince me that Yost should have predicted that Aquino would do what he hasn't done all season, at that precise moment.

Quote:
Having used Shouse on 2/3rds of the inning, Aquino had 1 man to get out - 1!

Obviously I am not Ned Yost, but I am thinking how I cannot trust Aquino to get me that out, even before I bring him in. It didn't even dawn on Yost to LET SHOUSE FINISH THE INNING. He is too hell bent on the righty vs. lefty strategy that he cannot see the momentum factor.

IMO, let Shouse finish that inning (1 more out, and he was on a roll), and ballgame over. One more of these this week and I am going to be ill, especially since I am going to all 3 Astro games.

On the side, Aquino better be down at AAA before gametime against the Pirates. Not fun watching the game on FSN Ohio with a bunch of Reds fans when Aquino puts a 3-0 pitch into the dugout. Capellan has a gripe, fo sho.

BigRedRob, you are fighting an up hill battle here. Yost is always to blame and everyone is a pitching coach. I try to say the same things and I get yelled at so be careful. I agree with you and it was the correct thing to do. However, the brewers lost and someone needs to be blamed I guess. Its 162-0 or someone must go.

Bottom line is that we needed one out. We didnt get it and lost the game. Ned did not have multiple backup plans and that wouldn't have cured this.

But thanks for being another level headed mind here. We do have weekly jumps off the hoan bridge if you would like to join some of the members here. I think they meet on friday nights.

I try to say the same things and I get yelled at so be careful.

You get yelled at because you lack the ability to formulate arguments w/o ripping on the posters of BF.net. For example the following:

However, the brewers lost and someone needs to be blamed I guess. Its 162-0 or someone must go.

No one here thinks the Brewers are going to win 110 games let alone 162. I think the majority of posters just want to not see mistakes continually repeated.

Ned did not have multiple backup plans and that wouldn't have cured this.

This is non-sensical

But thanks for being another level headed mind here.

In addition to you? -- C'mon -- Frankly speaking, I have yet to see you contribute to a thread or chat, w/o it being back-handed comments at posters on BF.net that do not happen to agree with you.

We do have weekly jumps off the hoan bridge if you would like to join some of the members here. I think they meet on friday nights.

Trolls live under bridges.

The Yost decisions have been and it seems, always be on the pitching side. He had NO ONE warming up. Aquino or bust. That's bad managing. He also said Wise was available but he wasn't.

I did not understand Yost's comments about this -- It was almost like he was channelling Yoda -- My only guess is that Wise was not available, and rather than deal with a follow-up question like "Why can't Wise pitch in 3 games in a row?" and then have to talk about how fragile Wise is, Yost made the Yoda comment.

I agree though, bad pitching management in that game.

The team defense really has me concerned as well. In that 5 run inning -- Estrada (it seemed to me) -- sort of took an Ole approach to Aquino's WP -- it was a tough pitch -- but Estrada didn't get to his knees to block that. Weeks made a pretty weak throw to the plate as well after Hall's bobble. It seems like I have not seen a good throw to the plate from the right side of the diamond this year.

I think that the Brewers CAN'T bring up Ryan Braun if this team D continues to be shaky. I'd really like to see Hall moved to 3b and let Gross/Gwynn play CF.

and I'm sorry but you can't convince me that Yost should have predicted that Aquino would do what he hasn't done all season, at that precise moment.

He hasn't done all season? I know he has let inherited runners score on atleast one occasion and if I'm not mistaken this is the 3rd time it has happened. As of right now, he looks like a guy thats much more composed when he comes in to start an inning vs. a high pressure situation. So being that he has already let inherited runners score, Ned should have at the very least, had someone up behind him (t-bow)

and Corey Hart needed to run that play out in the 6th on the Weeks grounder that got bobbled, again with the baserunning.

He held up to avoid the tag DP but yes once the 2B threw to the SS at 2nd he needed to hustle in and slide.

Archived