Brewer Fanatic

4/17/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Belisle): 6:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

No Peavey you said tonight he cost us. What did he cost us? An 8-5 loss?

I guess I missed the fact that the game was over at that point. Here I thought the goal was to still try and win, and being down by 3 gives you a much better chance than down by 4.

How much longer can anyone watch Billy Hall fumbling and bumbling allover himself in the outfield while watching the crap fest we have at 3B (also playing poor defense) while a good young hitter in Gross sits on the bench instead of playing in CF?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ I mean, honestly, how long will management allow this to happen before they realize this could really cost us games this year? In all seriousness, he is a huge liability out there in CF (I hold my breath every time a ball is hit in his direction). ]

He's getting to balls that Gross or Clark wouldn't get to... So I can live with SOME on the job training. I think he's a good enough athlete to overcome it, but it's painful as hell to watch right now.

I don't think that one's on Billy entirely. They had him shaded to right center against a soft tossing Dessens.

They should've had Hall playing stright away.

Billy ran a long, long way.

And Gwynn is the only one on the roster that would've gotten there. Billy got a good jump.

Billyhallfan....why is it ignorant to think that the Brewers will not be a playoff team with Ned host running the team? What has he done to show you he is capable of managing a competive team. Watching him manage is very frustraing and I would have 0 confidnece in him if we were in an actual playoff race,

I never want to see the Brewers lose but part of me wants him to make a few more crucial mistakes so upper management will finally pull the plug on him and we can move forward as a franchise. That might be a little harsh....so be it. Yost will not be able to manage this team into the playoffs....even though he has a playoff worthy team.

This is not a rant....I agree with having Aquino in there tonight....Wise can't pitch every night....it is other little things that have been beating to death on the site for the reason I want him gone.

but I would have gone and warmed up Dessens when it was obvious Aquino was ineffective.

After watching Dessens pitch, I'm not sure of what that would have accomplished.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

How much longer can anyone watch Billy Hall fumbling and bumbling allover himself in the outfield while watching the crap fest we have at 3B (also playing poor defense) while a good young hitter in Gross sits on the bench instead of playing in CF?

Now I agree with this but the brewers said they made the decision to go with hall in CF and will no be hard headed on this. I wish they would do that as well and play hart and gross more. It may be coming however if things get bad. But after one loss here, they are still over .500 and we may be overreacting a bit.

In Counsell's defense, he has been ok during his play at 3b.

Bill Hall will work himself out to be a decent Major League center fielder. You can't learn a new postion over night and Hall has the track record to show that he is serious about improving his play to make me believe that he will work enough to become that decent center fielder. I understand people think that he shouldn't have been moved in the first place but what about Ryan Braun when he comes up? They both can't play third base. Hall's miscues tonight will only help him in the future and they didn't really hurt that much because his misplays in the field did not single handedly cost the Brewers the game. I understand it stings to lose a game like this but step away from the ledge and don't live and die with every play Bill Hall makes.

He's getting to balls that Gross or Clark wouldn't get to... So I can live with SOME on the job training. I think he's a good enough athlete to overcome it, but it's painful as hell to watch right now.

I completey agree with this statement. If he looks this bad in July or August then maybe management should look into other options....but I think it is pretty safe to say that Hall will be in center all year,.

Yeah... I like the best pitcher theory to get the most important out theory too. Estrada could have walked out there. A Maddux s....l...o...w walk. Give the ball to Turnbow. That was Rick Vaughn crap there by Aquino.

A 4 -1 homestand is ambitious... I will be fine with 3 - 2 with Oswalt on Sunday and the Pirates always reaching for a little extra.

But I tell you this Ned: You have until Monday night to get back to the top of the central so I can be at Wrigley with the flag on top of the post. Or else I'm back on the bridge.

Nedded tonight.

Quote:
In Counsell's defense, he has been ok during his play at 3b.

Counsell has been "ok" for a middle infielder...not as a corner infielder.

Also, the Hall experiment needs to end as he is really not being put in a position to succeed. The brass needs to open their pie holes, swallow their pride and get on with it.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Quote:

Or even a no-hit/slick-fielding TGJ manning CF while Hall mashes at 3B. Improve on defense, stand pat on offense. Just crazy enough to work.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Quote:
I wouldn't have left Shouse in against the lefty, nor would I have forced Turnbow to throw to 4 batters... but I would have gone and warmed up Dessens when it was obvious Aquino was ineffective.

Brandon Philips is a righty. Turnbow doesn't have to throw to 4 batters, Dessens can pitch part of the 8th in a less pressure situation. Aquino has been shaky his last couple of appearances and should not have been put in that difficult 7th inning situation with the game on the line.

Would-a, could-a, should-a. Disappointing loss, but as it's been said before, there's not much Yost could do considering most of the damage occurred before relief for Aquino would be ready. This loss bites (especially going down with a whimper against Coffey in the ninth), but the road trip as a whole wasn't too bad compared to the performances on the road last year.

Never thought I would say this, but the Pittsburgh series is going to be extremely important as far as falling into an early-season losing streak is concerned. I'm not too worried as long as the Brewers stay within a game of the .500 mark, but losing both games to the Pirates could possibly throw this team into a big slump heading into the Houston series and the return of El Caballo.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator

Tough loss tonight.

Considering how solid the bullpen has been, I was just waiting for them to blow up and tonight happened to be the night. Better it happens on the road than at home. Yost can't go Wise, Turnbow, Cordero every night, and I fully expect all three of them to have very bad outings as well at some point.

I'm still very happy with the road trip though. 4-3 is nothing to be upset about, unless you expect the Brewers to win 95 games and run away with the central, which I certainly do not. The goal is .500 on the road.

Go Brewers tomorrow!

Archived