Brewer Fanatic

Richie Sexson Charges Mound in Seattle

Pretext: Earlier in the game, Felix Hernandez plunked Gerald Laird and Ian Kinsler with fastballs high and tight, hitting them virtually in the same exact spot.

Texas' Kason Gabbard responds by giving Richie Sexson a high one, but it wasn't anywhere near his head. Sexson was obviously expecting something, as he was bailing out of the batter's box before the pitch reached home plate. Sexson then charges the mound, hilarity ensues.

Here's a YouTube video of the bench-clearing brawl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q53svl8pkWM

My favorite part is Richie throwing his batting helmet at Gabbard to get him to duck before tackling him.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Fwiw, Richie called his throwing of the helmet "chicken [poop]"

I'd say his suspension seems about right. What if he'd hit Gabbard in the head... which is what it looked like he tried to do.

Wow! That link is no longer good -- I just watched it like 30 seconds ago, went to watch again, and *poof* gone.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, he overreacted. The pitch was up, certainly -- and it really would have to be up to be chin-level with Richie -- but it actually might have been over the inside corner. I think he was just waiting to be brushed back.

Rememer the scene in 'Terminator 2' when Sarah Connor tossed a set of keys to a security guard and then hit him in the guy with a billy club when he tried to catch them? That clip reminded me of that scene, which, like the rest of the movie was perfect in every possible way.

Also! A 22-inning scoreless streak for the Mariners? That sounds to me like a team that used to call Seattle home...

Archived